Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, wonderful site. Does anyone know where to get a seat cover that fits the Driver side only on the 92' Sedan Deville? My other seats are in almost mint condition, but the driver seat is jacked!!!! Thanks, Sel.

·
Registered
1995 Sedan Deville Spring Edition
268 Posts
Well,

You will be hard pressed to find one in really good condition from a 92 at this point. Salvage yards are usually a waste of time [for seat covers] because even if a low-mile 92 with a clean interior came in at some point, the doors and such are usually the first things to go, and then the inside is exposed to the elements. This ruins the interior quickly.

Of course, you hardly ever see a perfect car being parted out, so finding one that is not in a salvage yard (or isn't a wrecked vehicle sitting in the owner's back yard or barn) is pretty close to impossible.

You could have an upholstry shop redo the seat cover (back and bottom) for probably less than $400. I know that isn't cheap, but if the rest of the car is so nice that you truly value it's appearance, it is a small price to pay to fix the one rough spot on the car.

I had both my front seats redone on my 95 and the total labor was $400. I supplied the leather myself from a leather supplier in Indiana (Midwest Leather - very good people to deal with) and I think that was about another $100 at the time (about 2 years ago). I also removed the covers from the seats myself and took them into the shop, this saved me some labor as well.

I can relate to the way dingy, beat up leather can ruin the look of an otherwise perfect car, that's why I did mine. I Hope you can get yours taken care of.

KDirk

·
Registered
30 Posts
:mad: WOW! that is the most untrue statement
I've ever heard about finding seats in the
junkyard ever! Alot of yards now are pulling
pieces such as interiors and hoods etc.
I've even able one more than one occasion to
pull beautiful leather seats from outside vechicles.
Trust me that's the first place I would check.
I've had at least a dozen cars with leather and about
2/3 rds were replaced by junkyard seats.

·
Registered
1995 Sedan Deville Spring Edition
268 Posts
OneSweetRide,

I don't want to beat a dead horse here, but that is true of new (or very recent) arrivals in the salvage yard. Once the doors/glass have been removed (usually one of the most frequently taken parts) or are already missing due to collision damage, and the carcass sits exposed for 6+ months the interior will go bad. This is more true in areas with extreme climate/weather changes.

For the record, I'm in St. Louis, MO - 100+ degree days in the summer, loads of rain in the spring and fall, and winters that can get so cold they are unbearable. This tears the insides to hell in short order if the car is wide open.

Also note that he's looking for a seat cover for a 1992 - this is a 13+ year old car now. Any 92 Deville that was wrecked with low miles (and therefore a clean interior) has been in a yard for years now, to sit and rot. Any 92 recently wrecked or retired (and put in a yard) likely has a load of miles (well over 100,000, at which point the leather is probably shot) so the seats won't be great anyway.

Finding a low-miles, pristine recently wrecked 92 (and thus a clean drivers seat) in a yard will be a very tall order, unless you live in an area with a LOT of auto salvagers, and a lot of Cadillacs.

Add to that: a lot of salvage yards won't take cars this old, and won't keep them around for long if they do have them. This is the difference between a salvage yard and a junk yard. The junk yard will have older (more than 7-10 year old) vehilces that are mostly stripped. The salvage yard buys wrecks that have a decent amount of clean usable parts for resale (how they maximize their profits) that will have some real demand, this means cars 5-7 years old or so.

Yes, there are exceptions, and a few yards have inside storage where they keep things like seats, but generally speaking, finding a mint (or nearly so) leather seat for a 13 year old car in a salvage yard is unlikely based on my personal experience and the items cited above.

Now, if he needed a seat for a 1999, I'd agree fully with your comments as there's pretty good chance of finding one of those in a yard with a decent interior.

Just my take on the situation, nothing personal.

KDirk

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
All that really depends on where you live. Around here those Cadillacs are the ones you see at junk yards the most. You hardly ever see newer ones. He might find a good seat for it you never know. He just has to look and keep going back every once in a while to see if anything new came in. That's one bad thing about leather seats is that they don't look good for as long as cloth ones do.

Kdirk said:
OneSweetRide,

I don't want to beat a dead horse here, but that is true of new (or very recent) arrivals in the salvage yard. Once the doors/glass have been removed (usually one of the most frequently taken parts) or are already missing due to collision damage, and the carcass sits exposed for 6+ months the interior will go bad. This is more true in areas with extreme climate/weather changes.

For the record, I'm in St. Louis, MO - 100+ degree days in the summer, loads of rain in the spring and fall, and winters that can get so cold they are unbearable. This tears the insides to hell in short order if the car is wide open.

Also note that he's looking for a seat cover for a 1992 - this is a 13+ year old car now. Any 92 Deville that was wrecked with low miles (and therefore a clean interior) has been in a yard for years now, to sit and rot. Any 92 recently wrecked or retired (and put in a yard) likely has a load of miles (well over 100,000, at which point the leather is probably shot) so the seats won't be great anyway.

Finding a low-miles, pristine recently wrecked 92 (and thus a clean drivers seat) in a yard will be a very tall order, unless you live in an area with a LOT of auto salvagers, and a lot of Cadillacs.

Add to that: a lot of salvage yards won't take cars this old, and won't keep them around for long if they do have them. This is the difference between a salvage yard and a junk yard. The junk yard will have older (more than 7-10 year old) vehilces that are mostly stripped. The salvage yard buys wrecks that have a decent amount of clean usable parts for resale (how they maximize their profits) that will have some real demand, this means cars 5-7 years old or so.

Yes, there are exceptions, and a few yards have inside storage where they keep things like seats, but generally speaking, finding a mint (or nearly so) leather seat for a 13 year old car in a salvage yard is unlikely based on my personal experience and the items cited above.

Now, if he needed a seat for a 1999, I'd agree fully with your comments as there's pretty good chance of finding one of those in a yard with a decent interior.

Just my take on the situation, nothing personal.

KDirk

·
Registered
30 Posts
I used to live in West Palm Bch,Fl area.(moved to west coast).
Belive me when I tell you we do get plenty of rain & heat.
Oddly no serious cold? :) I've had aprox. 78 cars in
21 years of driving & proably worked at least another
50 or so in that time frame (I am not a mechanic).
I've rebuilt or customizied my share of rides.So BELIEVE
me when I say I've had my share of decent luck with leather
seats.You are correct in stating weather takes it's toll.
Must've been lucky then junk yards seemed to have them.
Guess being south Fla.these kinds of cars are abundant.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts