Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, all!
I have a sable black 2002 Deville 4 door sedan. The plastic housing of one of the outside mirrors got scuffed/ scratched as did the "nose"of the plastic trim in the very front of the car. Aside from replacing these parts or having the scuffs/scratches professionally repaired , is there a product I can purchase and apply myself ,not necessarily to remove the scratches, but simply to restore the appearance? If so, what is the product, how well will it work as opposed to having it professionally done, how much does it cost, and how simple is it to apply?
Thanks!

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
As with any painted surface, if the "scuffs" or scratches extend below the surface of the paint finish, there's nothing that can be done to eliminate the marks short of refinishing the surface. You CAN try filling the imperfections with paint using several coats, each building on the other until the surface is slightly above the surrounding area, and then lightly sand/polish to "blend" the repair into the adjacent area. If done correctly, this CAN be fairly successful but is not a replacement for refinishing.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
I have some abrasions on my car, and I used turtlewax color cure...... It has a little thing of lipstick wax, and I think it worked pretty good for $5...... Its worth a shot...... Plus, I think the wax it comes with works relaly great too..... Just make sure you follow the directions...... Also, for the maximim effect, put the lipstick stuff on, and then use a hairdryer to melt it in there..... let it dry, and then buff it with a little of the wax...... Not perfect, but definetly worth $5......

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Katshot said:
As with any painted surface, if the "scuffs" or scratches extend below the surface of the paint finish, there's nothing that can be done to eliminate the marks short of refinishing the surface. You CAN try filling the imperfections with paint using several coats, each building on the other until the surface is slightly above the surrounding area, and then lightly sand/polish to "blend" the repair into the adjacent area. If done correctly, this CAN be fairly successful but is not a replacement for refinishing.
Thank you, Katshot. My goodness! Given my utter lack of aptitude for these kinds of things, I'd probably end up with a lot more cosmetic problems than scuffed/scratched plastic. I'd let the pros refinish it before I'd attempt it. But I am curious as to one aspect of your reply to my inquiry: if what we are talking about is a shiny black piece of plastic manufactured to house the mirror, why is the exterior of the piece of plastic referred to by you as a "painted surface"? Perhaps you are suggesting that the fix is identical to a surface which has been painted?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
elwesso said:
I have some abrasions on my car, and I used turtlewax color cure...... It has a little thing of lipstick wax, and I think it worked pretty good for $5...... Its worth a shot...... Plus, I think the wax it comes with works relaly great too..... Just make sure you follow the directions...... Also, for the maximim effect, put the lipstick stuff on, and then use a hairdryer to melt it in there..... let it dry, and then buff it with a little of the wax...... Not perfect, but definetly worth $5......
Thank you elwesso. All thumbs that I am, your suggestion sounds like an undertaking that even I might be able to try. I am not looking for perfection. By the way have you or anyone else reading this thread ever heard of "Mother's Back to Black "? What is your comment as to the suitability of this product for my particular problem?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dukelerange1 said:
Thank you, Katshot. My goodness! Given my utter lack of aptitude for these kinds of things, I'd probably end up with a lot more cosmetic problems than scuffed/scratched plastic. I'd let the pros refinish it before I'd attempt it. But I am curious as to one aspect of your reply to my inquiry: if what we are talking about is a shiny black piece of plastic manufactured to house the mirror, why is the exterior of the piece of plastic referred to by you as a "painted surface"? Perhaps you are suggesting that the fix is identical to a surface which has been painted?
I have since been educated, Katshot, and now know that a clear coat is applied ,requiring a fix consistent with that necessary for a a scratched,painted surface. For what it's worth , I am told by someone that looked at it that whatever came into contact with the plastic housing of the side mirror "broke" the clear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts