Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Banned
2009 CTS-V Radiant Silver/Ebony Auto
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the felt cloth is good for cleaning but that black trim scratches awfully easy- anything that anyone is using to remove fine surface marks?

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V (MG9)
280 Posts
I've used this product by Meguiar's called PlastX clear plastic cleaner for some old plastic turn signal lenses and tail lights with really good success. I'm not sure how it'll work on the obsidian trim. You may want to try it on a small area that is not that visible first to see but I don't see why it wouldn't work as it is basically a super fine abrasive to remove the fine scratches in plastics.

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/product_detail.asp?T1=MEG+G12310

·
Banned
2009 CTS-V Radiant Silver/Ebony Auto
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Found this...

Obsidian black trim is used throughout the car’s interior and features a high-gloss finish. Cadillac has provided a polishing cloth with the vehicle. When used frequently, it will remove dust and prints and help maintain the luster of the luxurious finish. Additional on information light scratches and scuffing can be found in Corporate Bulletin Number 08-08-49-018.

now where can one find this bulletin

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V & 2009 CTS
77 Posts
Tap Plastic, www.tapplastic.com, has a product named "Kleenmaster Brillianize" that might do the trick. I will pickup some of this polish from the local Tap Plastic store a give it a try for some of the scratches on my console. Tap sez -- Do not use paper tower to clean plastic as it will scratch.

·
Registered
'08 STS-V Sedan Black Formerly three CTS-V's, XLR and STS4N*
868 Posts
Scratched mine up with a vacuum hose. Used Novus Heavy Scratch Remover to get the bad ones out. then followed with the Fine Scratch and then the Polish. Looks perfect again.

·
Registered
Owned 3 V's, now driving a Wrangler and XT5
2,574 Posts
^^^^^^^ I need this. Where do you get the Novus stuff? Online, auto store? Thanks.

My dealer scratched mine before delivery and I didn't notice it until I saw it in the sun. Still, the black does scratch very easily and I can see how I will probably scratch it in the future as this is my daily driver.

·
Registered
CTS-V 2009 White Diamond, 996TT Silver, G35 Coupe 6mt, M45S
413 Posts
^^^^^^^ I need this. Where do you get the Novus stuff? Online, auto store? Thanks.

My dealer scratched mine before delivery and I didn't notice it until I saw it in the sun. Still, the black does scratch very easily and I can see how I will probably scratch it in the future as this is my daily driver.
Same here. I found the oil in leather cleaner/conditioner does a nice job of hiding the scratches(not the thick stuff, but the water based). I also don't use the vacuum anymore to clean it. The brush can leave scratches.
And I stopped letting it bother me :)

A quick search for novus:
Amazon.com: Novus Polish Kit, Plastic Polish & Scratch Remover, 8 oz: Automotive

·
Registered
2011 CTS Coupe
584 Posts
I second PlastX from Meguiars, I've used it sucessfully to clean up simulated wood grain interior pieces that were trashed to new condition. You can find it at most auto parts places that carry car wash stuff. Use a microfiber towel for working in the product to keep from inducing more scratches.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V , 2010 SRX 2.8T
3,085 Posts
I've used plastic x, all the mequirs products....i mean evvverything. I found something that works and its old as hell,lol. Blue Coral Scratch Remover :worship::worship: , it was the only thing that cleared up my scratches w/out dulling the black with haze. Of course it's discontinued but I found a bunch on ebay that i bought up.......Its always the stuff that works that gets discontinued....I wonder why. Maybe if there were 4 products that worked one everything than what would mequre's, mothers', etc bring out every year by the dozen ??

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
I don't know why GM/Cadillac did that! They should have picked a different finish. Mine is covered in scratches! They should have done it in an aluminum or all in carbon fiber! Something that wouldn't scratch so damn easy!

SG

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V & 2009 CTS
77 Posts
My Osidian console was full of fine scratches and smudges. I went to the hardware store and bought "Blue Magic Plastic and Plexiglass Cleaner and Light Scratch Remover". Applied this product to a microfiber cloth and rubbed the Osidian Console in small circular motions and then wiped clean with the oem supplied blue felt cloth. Repeated this operation 3 times. Upon completion I applied Novus #1 Plastic Clean & Shine. Finished up with Zaino #6 Ultra Clean Gloss Enhancer. Did all polishing using the oem supplied blue felt cloth. All scratches and smudges are completly gone. All I have now is a glass smooth, deep black shine. Absolute perfect reflection, even in direct sunlight. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
09 CTS-V, Radiant silver, Loaded, Auto
455 Posts
Awesome, have to consider all these options. This shit looks nice, but like someone said, sneeze on it and it scratches.

·
Registered
Cadillac
103 Posts
I don't know why GM/Cadillac did that! They should have picked a different finish. Mine is covered in scratches! They should have done it in an aluminum or all in carbon fiber! Something that wouldn't scratch so damn easy!

SG
If you haven't notice the design biz is manned by a bunch of lemmings - EVERYTHING is using this black lacquer look these days - TVs, laptops, uplevel cars, etc.

It is crazy and I doubt it will last long since in EVERY case is is an impractical biatch to live with with !

But why complain - like a hot chick in her high heels, you have to suffer for fashion - and this ain't THAT bad!

·
Registered
'09 CTS-V, 3K miles & '87 Turbo Buick, 29K miles
3,435 Posts
It is unfortunate that GM did not use aluminum formed sheet with black low or no gloss anodize, which is not scratch proof, but scratch resistant under most normal conditions. Probably not enough of these on the road to make it worthwhile for an aftermarket manufacturer to undertake the task.

·
Registered
2009 CTSv & 2006 STSv + 1991 SHO
219 Posts
Yea the black scratches ridiculously easy. I can sneeze and scratch it :crying2:
Agreed. Now all I need to find is an aftermarket guy that can make me the same console in that Faux carbon fibre trim look our cars have. That would pprobably look decent and not show scratches as easily.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts