Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few scratches like this, and want to know if there are any feasible options to fixing it?

Attachments

·
Banned
1,258 Posts
It looks as if that scratch is through the paint.......is it? If it is, I don't know that you can do much except touch it up with some touch-up paint. The dealer should have the correct color.
If it's not through the paint, a little polishing/rubbing compound should be able to get most of it out. Rubbing compound is usually a little more abrasive. Be careful with that, it might "cut" a little bit deeper than you would like and cause more problems.
I've never tried any of the colored waxes but that might help to cover the scratches a little.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it is through the paint, because when I scratch my fingernail through it is like a groove.

Any recommendations on polishing compounds. I have car brite pink polish, if that helps.

Also, how much would touch up paint be, and desont it look stupid when you touch it up?

·
Registered
53 Eldo, 54 CDV, 74 FWB 96 FWB (sold),1998 STS(sold), 03 ESV
755 Posts
That is possible to fix.
You would need to get the exact color in touch up bottle. Next apply the paint on the scratch. Next get some 1500-2000 WETORDRY sand paper and wet sand the spot to remove the excess touch up paint. Next you will need a high speed polisher with some Meguires Med cut cleaner, polish to a shine. Next add wax of your chioce. The scratch should now be not noticeable at all. Good Luck!!

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How much would a dealer charge to do all of this?? I have 6-7 little spots, no bigger than that. I dont think im up for messing around with the paint and sandpaper on the paint :)

Attachments

·
Banned
1,258 Posts
Eldo1953 said:
That is possible to fix.
You would need to get the exact color in touch up bottle. Next apply the paint on the scratch. Next get some 1500-2000 WETORDRY sand paper and wet sand the spot to remove the excess touch up paint. Next you will need a high speed polisher with some Meguires Med cut cleaner, polish to a shine. Next add wax of your chioce. The scratch should now be not noticeable at all. Good Luck!!
Yeah....do what Eldo1953 said.:D

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
The quality of the repair will depend heavily on whether the paint is a 1,2, or 3-step paint. Most newer cars use a 2-step process called basecoat/clearcoat. In these cases, in order to get a perfect color match you must top coat the color coat (basecoat) with clear. So the best way is to fill the scratch with color coat, and then after that dries and sinks in, you can top it off with clear, building it up until it's slightly higher than the surrounding oaint surface. Then you can sand/polish to even it out.

·
Registered
755 Posts
elwesso said:
How much would a dealer charge to do all of this?? I have 6-7 little spots, no bigger than that. I dont think im up for messing around with the paint and sandpaper on the paint :)
It really depnds on the dealer. I would just take it in for a quote if I were you.;)

·
Registered
755 Posts
Ralph said:
We have a product called GT88 in Canada. It is a liquid that slightly "melts" the paint around the scratch and fills it in while rubbing. See if you can get it.
They have that in the US as well. However it is not really a permanent fix, more of a patch.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is that like the same stuff as GS-27?

·
Registered
755 Posts

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Does the GS-27 stuff actually work, becuase ive heard some say its ok and some say its crap??

Also, has anyone had any experience with "turtle wax color cure", the colored wax that comes with that little crayon looking thing to fill in deep scratches??

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks a lot, that is some really good information.

I bought some of that turtle wax color cure (the stuff that is colored and comes with that lipstick looking thing), and Im gonna give that a try. I didnt try today, because it said to use the wax crayon thing when its warm out. Pictures to come....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts