Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
NONE
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, RHD Sevilles just got rarer by one.

No, mine is fine, but a guy I know in a UK american car club let a friend borrow his 99 STS and the idiot drove into the back of a parked truck at 40mph (he didn't even brake). Says he didn't see it!

Whole front end is caved in, both airbags deployed.
Although the car cost $70,000 new he only paid about $9,500 fot it so I expect It'll be written off.

The owner is really upset about it, he's only had the car 2 months (he bought it a week after I bought mine) and he was thrilled with it.

:banghead:

·
Registered
NONE
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He may buy it back off the insurance company and strip it.
Some of the more forward thinking hot-rodders like to fit Northstars to their rods so he coul dge decent money for that and the transmission.
I'd buy the stereo, amps, speakers, seats (if right colour otherwise just heaters) and mirrors (amongst other things) as spares.

Not gonna raise that issue with him just yet though, it's still warm!

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Yeah, leave it a while!

I got mine for £11k earlier this year, it was intended for my son, but I liked it more and gave him the 545iT. He didnt like that much and traded in against a new S-Type which he took delivery of last week, he's very happy

But these STS are like £7,000 on ebay, and I could use antoher for spares, just in case.

·
Registered
NONE
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I only paid £7,000 for my 2000 model with just 15K on the clock.

Downside was I had to fetch it from your neck of the woods.
Boy was it ever cold!

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
I only paid £7,000 for my 2000 model with just 15K on the clock.

Downside was I had to fetch it from your neck of the woods.
Boy was it ever cold!
Really? Where?

Ironically, I had to go to Cornwall for mine!

Mine had 37k on it, but I have never seen a better example, not a single scratch, dent, ding, wheel scrape, anything. I believe an "older citizen" had it before me.

It actually FEELS like it could be a 2002 or 2003 model, the problem is it is currently back in the hands of my dad :banghead:. His Vectra is pissing oil out from somewhere, he hasnt the time/money/effort to get it fixed yet, I sent the STS up there to get him to work, then loaned him MY Vectra, but needed it to carry my fishing rods, so I sent the STS back up there. Im worried about her. She's in the garage, but his wife is a maniac :helpless:

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
Mccombie, what differences, performance wise, do you notice between your STS, and your 99 Sedan deVille?

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
I~LUV~Caddys8792 said:
Mccombie, what differences, performance wise, do you notice between your STS, and your 99 Sedan deVille?
The STS is without a doubt much more powerful, however the Deville has alot of torque that the STS doesnt seem to have, the Deville, I think, weights more too.

The Deville is a barge in the bends, it wallows like a Juggernaut, the STS isnt much better, but you can feel the difference.

The Deville hasnt really been tested by me the way the STS has, I've only driven it a couple of times, but its smoother, quieter, and slower. Claire drives the Deville moe than I do, but it will get a good excersise in 12 days time :D

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Cool, its interesting to see what difference a couple hundred pounds makes, along with a different suspension setup and different final drive ratio. I'd assume the deville handled more boat like but I wasnt positive, Thanks though :)

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
No problem, I also think its partially due to the Deville being taller than the STS. It leans a halluvalot more in the bends. Its worth it for the straight line smoothness

I DONT like the limiter though.

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Speed limited to 115?

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
I~LUV~Caddys8792 said:
Speed limited to 115?
Limiter kicked in at 117 for me.

Now, Im not legally allowed above 70, but when youre on the motorway, at 2am, you want to be going about 130mph, and you cant

Answer: take the Mercedes

·
Registered
NONE
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I got it from these guys:

http://www.prestigecardirect.co.uk/

They had it on the forecourt for £10,495 and had dropped it to £8,495 to get shot of it. They also put it on EBay with a starting bid of £7,000 and thats's what I paid.

Car is lovely except I had to buy:

Replace wrong drivers door mirror glass: £265 (dealer)
Replace missing CD Changer cartridge: £12.50 (Ebay)
Replace some carpet trim clips in boot: £20ish (dealer)
Replace blown passengers speaker: £120 (dealer)

It's in mint condition apart from the slightest of slight dents on the drivers door. It's right on the door edge where it's been opened into something. About an inch tall, and about an 1/8 inch wide and about a mm deep (if that).

My only other issue is with the stereo headunit whose RDS indicator lights are on permanently. I suspect it has had an aftermarket alarm/immobiliser fitted (badly) and maybe a phone kit. When I can be bothered I'll pull the radio out and take a look behind.

Considering I only paid £7,000 and have spent £400 in bits, with just the radio problem remaining and a call to dentmaster I think I've done well.

No doubt there will be niggly things over the next couple of years but as long as the main (expensive) items continue to behave I'll be happy.

I raced a friends 1996 Saleen S281 Supercharged Mustang from a 20mph roll and was actually ahead by half a car length by the time we got to 70odd mph which was a right result!

Frankly I love the car. It's no Rolls royce with regards to ride quality and noise, but it's very good. It doesn't handle as well as it's European competitors, but the ride is better, everything is a trade off.
As it was bought for ride, long distance drives and comfortable commuting as well as making a statement, I feel I bought the right car (I wasn't after the ultimate in handling, I wanted straight line wallop and a good ride without being a complete boat around bends).

How do you feel yours compares to the BMW545i?

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
How do you feel yours compares to the BMW545i?
It compares well, alot of people will shun it A) because its a Cadillac B) because its American and C) because its a boat, but I find the ride, especially for what I used it for (same thing as you really, motorway and commuting) Its nice to go country laning in it too! It can be scary, but its interesting.

The BMW is great fro hammering down realy back lanes, it was the Touring model though, so it had that extra bit at the back.

The BMW is very firm riding and loud for a car that price, I can get a similar experience in my Vectra (Well not ATM LOL) but without the I-Drive. THe seats in the BMW = comfortable, seats in the STS = armchairs, theyre Sooooo comfortable.

The only issue I have is its size, It isnt difficult, just inconvenient, for example it didnt fit in the guest space at work.

I find it slightly slower than the Beemer. Only issue is my wife cant take the dogs anywhere in it, oh what a shame she has to drive an off roader:shhh:

Also, just as good or bad on fuel

1 - 14 of 14 Posts