Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a variety of chips and scratches on my car. You can only see them when up close, my bigger concern is getting a few of the deeper chips taken care of before winter.
I want my car to look good but the scratches and chips are in a varity of places around the car and I don't want the expense or trouble of having the entire car painted.
The car is two tone. I need both colors

Is there a way to get a spray can of my color(s), use it myself and actually have it turn out look good?
Can I get/should I use the small bottle of touch up paint for the chips so the small indentation gets filled?
Does some type of clear coat need to go over top?

Tips appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
'05 Expedition
7,651 Posts
If the scratches are down to the bare metal, you should probably let a professional do it. If there's any chance they can be buffed, I'd recommend doing that yourself.

As for chips, what I've been doing lately is working well. Fill in the chip with three or four coats of touch-up paint. Use a toothpick or something with a sharp point rather than the brush that comes in the bottle. Some people even use a needle or pin. If you're satisfied that the indentaion is filled, then you're done.

After painting with the touch-up bottle, some people get an EXTREMELY fine grit sandpaper and wet-sand, compound, and buff to get a perfectly smooth finish. That's probably what a body shop would do with a deep scratch. There's no need to spray unless you're doing a large area.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Elvis said:
If the scratches are down to the bare metal, you should probably let a professional do it. If there's any chance they can be buffed, I'd recommend doing that yourself.

As for chips, what I've been doing lately is working well. Fill in the chip with three or four coats of touch-up paint. Use a toothpick or something with a sharp point rather than the brush that comes in the bottle. Some people even use a needle or pin. If you're satisfied that the indentaion is filled, then you're done.

After painting with the touch-up bottle, some people get an EXTREMELY fine grit sandpaper and wet-sand, compound, and buff to get a perfectly smooth finish. That's probably what a body shop would do with a deep scratch. There's no need to spray unless you're doing a large area.
Elvis -
Thanks or the tip on chips - I'll do that.

How do you know what type of scratch is 'buffable"? In the scratch I don't see metal, I see white, which I'm assuming is a primer coat.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
The paint on your car will require a clear coat to be applied over the base coat (the color coat). All you need to do is put a coat or two of color and then multiple coats of clear until you are above the level of the paint surrounding the chip. Then wet sand and buff. The repair should be relatively invisible if done right. That's the beauty of 2-step (or 3-step) paints.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would not try spraying,,,unless you are a pro...

If you get the touch up paint in little bottles - make sure you got the right color code. It fills the little indentations in well. LIke spackling - do a few light coats with the little brush - not all at once. You should get very good results.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I use the bottle and fill it with a number of coats on the chips (about 1/3 the size of the nail on my pinky finger) will that need any kind of clear coat spray over top to protectect it?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts