Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Current=Diamond White XTS Platinum, 3 others in the past
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I drove my 2014 XTS in shorts. When I exited the car I rather painfully hit my knee on the bottom of the steering column. I didn't think much of it at the time but when the pain didn't quickly subside I thought I might ought to look at my knee. I was shocked to see an area about the size of a nickel bleeding with the skin scraped to one side! After cleaning and bandaging the wound I inspected the car and found three square holes in the underside of the steering column. I am wondering if my dealer pulled some plugs out of those holes when servicing the car because SURELY CADILLAC WOULDN'T BE SO CARELESS in their design! These holes are square and have thin, sharp edges that can scrape skin off your knee like a fillet knife!

If someone would be so kind as to checking their steering column and let me know if this is just my problem, or whether others might suffer a similar fate because of poor design.

Please beware of this potential danger in your vehicles if you too have these holes under your steering column. I think I will cover them with duct tape if I can't arrive at a better solution! I live in the south, am retired and wear shorts all summer long!

John Proveaux

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2015 xts Premium fwd 2009 CTS AWD
588 Posts
My XTS has two square holes. I have never scraped my knee on them. It must have something to do with the seating position you are using. Do you have your exit settings in use or are you getting out of the car withe seat up close and the wheel down? Things have gotten pretty sad when we need to make dust tape repairs to our Cadillacs!! :)

·
Registered
2008 CTS4 DI Premium (SOLD) / 2013 XTS Luxury (TOTALLED) / 2015 BMW 328i XDrive Lux
1,970 Posts
My XTS is the same...wonder why they're there.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I meant duct tape not dust tape. Anyway I dont know what they're for either. One is not even square. It looks like it was cut in a half a-- manner!

·
Registered
2008 CTS4 DI Premium (SOLD) / 2013 XTS Luxury (TOTALLED) / 2015 BMW 328i XDrive Lux
1,970 Posts
I knew what you meant to say. Mine are at least cut well, lol.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Never hit the steering wheel but I bang the heck out of my knee on that useless ass storage hatch on the lower left side of the steering wheel. Mines has never stayed close and it will fall just low enough that I have banged my shin on the sharp corner more than once.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I don't hit the wheel either but glad I'm not alone with the knee to bin issue. I hit that thing with my knee so many times that it recently gave way and broke...taking it in next week to get an oil change, another CUE update for the sporadic bluetooth/disappearing stations, slight front tire wobble and the "bin fix".

12,778 Posts
Hello all,

I'm sorry to see that some of you are experiencing concerns with your XTS. Customer feedback is something that we do not take for granted. Feel free to send me a PM if there is anything that you would like me to document for review by our internal resources, and I am happy to look into any situation you are experiencing. Have a great evening and I appreciate your time.

Kind Regards,

Brandon M.
Cadillac Customer Care

·
Registered
Current=Diamond White XTS Platinum, 3 others in the past
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for checking your steering columns and getting back to me. I checked mine again to find two square holes (not three) under the steering column as you all found. I think the issue has much to do with the large size of these holes and with the fact that they're square.

I used to have the exit setting pull my seat back for a more comfortable exit, but didn't like waiting to exit the car so I wasn't using the feature. I have reactivated it and will gladly wait to exit the car than risk repeating the injury.

Again, please be warned, and share the warning with the drivers of your XTS'. I don't mean to stir up dust or besmirch the reputation of this vehicle, but as you might imagine, shaving the skin off of a knee is very painful. I have never had anything like this happen with ANY of my past vehicles, including Cadillacs.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
588 Posts
John

You can also have the steering wheel go up and in when exiting too. I checked mine and it raises the column
out of the way thus avoiding your knee from hitting it.

·
Registered
2013 XTS Premium in Silver Coast Metallic
674 Posts
You should have gone straight to your dealer to get a band-aid covered under warranty.

·
Registered
XTS VSport-550+ lb-ft of torque, ATS 2.0T AWD HPTuners tuned
2,695 Posts
I scraped my right knee on the door speaker getting out. But only when I'm in a hurry. :-0

·
Registered
XTS VSport-550+ lb-ft of torque, ATS 2.0T AWD HPTuners tuned
2,695 Posts
I have a 34" in seam but don't automatically move steering wheel and seat. So I may be a bit close.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts