Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
93 & 96 Fleetwood
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get the scan tool for my ride. I can't find a Tech1 for sale.......or at least one in good shape. Does the OBD1 work on a 93 Fleetwood?

·
Registered
1987 Fleetwood Brougham
239 Posts
OBD 1 can be diagnosed with a paperclip. I think you short pins 5 and 12, but I could be wrong, and then just count the number of check engine light flashes. Those $35 scan tools literally do the same thing as the paper clip. Do a google search, you'll get the correct pins to short.

·
Registered
93 & 96 Fleetwood
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a key for running the diagnostic. I know the codes my car is throwing out. I was looking for something that can run tests and give more detailed info and turn off engine lights. It'll also let me know if my emissions are off and if I will pass inspection. I found the OBD ll and OBD 1 for sale for a little over $300.

·
Registered
1987 Fleetwood Brougham
239 Posts
I didn't think you could get that kind of data out of the OBD I port. If you need to reset engine codes, just disconnect the battery for a few minutes.

·
Registered
93 & 96 Fleetwood
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FrankieSixxxgun said:
I didn't think you could get that kind of data out of the OBD I port. If you need to reset engine codes, just disconnect the battery for a few minutes.
According to the description from the manufacturer you can.:hmm:

·
Registered
04 ESV Platinum, 96 Eldorado Coachbuilder LTD, 96 FWB
1,044 Posts
Whats a 90 Brougham take? My Check engine comes on after the car has been on for a min or two, and lasts for a min or two.

·
Registered
1987 Fleetwood Brougham
239 Posts
I know on the Fords you can do a full diagnostic on the car via the OBD I port and a scan tool, and I know on OBD II vehicles you can do all sorts of things, but I didn't think the GM OBD I setup was that advanced. I could be dead wrong though.

·
Registered
94 FWB, 93 SDV, 94 FWB (sold), 90 Brougham (sold)
3,730 Posts
You can do a whole lot with a scan tool or a laptop and a connector. They sell the ALDL connector for OBD1 vehicles that can plug into a laptop. There are programs like Winaldl that can display all the information you could ever want about your engine.

http://winaldl.joby.se/

Scroll down and take a look at the screenshots and whatnot.

http://www.aldlcable.com/

An even better site!

Brian

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
Get a service manual It'll say how to get the codes and what they all mean. They also have charts so that you can figure out what's wrong.

·
Registered
1987 Fleetwood Brougham
239 Posts
Wow, I didn't know that OBD I worked like that. I might pick up up one of those pre-fab ALDL cables and diagnose the Caddy. Maybe I can pinpoint my knock!

·
Registered
93 & 96 Fleetwood
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
brougham said:
Get a service manual It'll say how to get the codes and what they all mean. They also have charts so that you can figure out what's wrong.
I have the $100, 3000 page service manual and those books aren't as helpful as you would think.

·
Registered
94 FWB, 93 SDV, 94 FWB (sold), 90 Brougham (sold)
3,730 Posts
The book has been a burden to learn how to use, but the emissions / driveability section have more than paid off for the cost I paid for my service manual, all $14 of it from ebay. Now if I could just find a POS laptop to use!

Brian

·
Registered
93 fleet, 95 fleet, 59 impala
728 Posts
fltwd93 said:
I have the $100, 3000 page service manual and those books aren't as helpful as you would think.
I got the same book, bought it hoping it would help when taking my car apart for paint, didnt help that much.

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
fltwd93 said:
If that's not going to help you a scan tool probably isn't going to be much help either. It's not going to tell you anything more then the manual does.

·
Registered
93 & 96 Fleetwood
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
brougham said:
If that's not going to help you a scan tool probably isn't going to be much help either. It's not going to tell you anything more then the manual does.
I decided not to buy the scanner. I've been able to solve all my problems w/o one so far..........I just thought it might make the process quicker.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts