Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1996 SLS
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am appealing to those familiar with the Vetronix Scan Tool 1. It is referenced extensively in the repair manuals. I recently acquired one to replace the ABS/TCS module. That repair went well. Does anyone know the P/N of the module that would allow me to access the PCM on a 1996 SLS. Thank you in advance.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,783 Posts
:welcome:

I'm confused. :hmm:

What repair manual references a Vetronix Scan Tool 1? The only tool I ever recall being referenced in the FSM is the Tech II.

Why do you need either to replace the ABS/TCS module aka EBTCM (Electronic Brake & Traction Control) module?

What are you trying to access the PCM for?

Are you aware that you can access the PCM via the DIC for reading codes and a few other things?

·
Registered
1996 SLS
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a set of factory repair manuals. They only reference the Tech 1, probably because the Tech 2 did not exist. The procedure for replacing the ABS/TCS assembly requires access the ABS test mode function to exercise the solenoids and get the air out of the brake lines. Replaced the unit because the half a dozen DTC pointed to that action. It worked.
The need to use the Tech 1 to access the PCM arises in trying to access data *not* available via the DIC. I still need to know the appropriate module for PCM diagnostics. Does anyone know the proper part number.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,783 Posts
The procedure for replacing the ABS/TCS assembly requires access the ABS test mode function to exercise the solenoids and get the air out of the brake lines.
A normal bleeding won't work?

·
Registered
1996 SLS
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No. the lines to the ABS/TCS unit are basically a 'tee' line of the brakes. Normal bleed will not address the air in the lines to the ABS. The Scan Tool can place the ABS unit into a special mode where the line solenoids are systematically pulsed to force the air from the feed lines into the brake lines, where they can be bled. Also, this done with a power bleed unit. I got an inexpensive pump unit online.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts