Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have just finished banning/spam cleaning (EDIT) 11 new "members" who joined within the last 50 hours. 2 of those were sending me PMs ("Conversations") asking for e-mail addresses and personal info. All 11 were from India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Belarus, and Nigeria. A scammer tipoff is a short reply that just doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the thread. They do it to test the waters and to build up post counts. Heads up!

Please be very careful about replying to unwanted messages or when opening strange links in posts.

2 of this bunch were the types who post small text links spaced down from their gibberish text. Do not click on any of those links! You may get a lot more than you bargained for. If you hover over suspected text and it turns bluish don't click it - it's probably infected.

Read the sticky thread ^ ^ ^ "Save A Computer!"

·
Registered
96 FWB
353 Posts
First off, it goes TOO OFTEN UNSAID but a big thanks to Admins / Mods who constantly hunt down and dispatch all manner of malfeasance that threatens the forum --> AND <-- its members. And all too often before anyone is even aware of anything.

Good hints on strange, short, non-applicale replys. There had been a typical 'Nigerian Inheritance' type run on another forum, and the syntax, vocabulary and grammar was strange enough to make a 4th grader flinch. The principle apparently is to make the pitch intentionally so poorly put together that it weeds out all but just the daftest dumbest and gullible souls. To maximize return on time invested so-to-speak. They're scum and criminals alright, but you can't say they aren't crafty and intelligent scum and criminals.

There had been a comparative flood of bots and spammers after that forum's recent changed platform, and several of us were 'Conversation'ing Admin with heads-ups. But I learned the 'Report' button is an even easier and more direct line for action.

Thanks again, and I hope others drop by once in a while and TTT.

·
Registered
2007 SRX AWD
202 Posts
Why can't the three little dots be replaced by the word REPORT?
It would certainly help folk like me who's memory is not what it used to be when in a hurry to try to alert folks of a potential threat that they have noticed.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,145 Posts
'report' out of those three dots isn't rocket science, but I agree it isn't self apparent for the uninitiated.

·
Registered
2007 SRX AWD
202 Posts
Since joining the forum I have had to raise the alarm twice and on both occasions did it the wrong way. I'd like to think that next time I'll get it right but a move obvious label MAY help me improve my tardiness.

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
4,792 Posts
'report' out of those three dots isn't rocket science, but I agree it isn't self apparent for the uninitiated.
true, it isn't rocket science but many things on this new platform aren't intuitive. In the case of the three dots there is more than just "report", depending on whether you're a member, moderator or admin. When I click on those three dots, I'm given five possible actions. I'd guess that the admins get more than that.

·
Registered
2006 STS-V
677 Posts
Then the three dots could say MENU instead maybe (and) have as a choice, a REPORT ISSUE icon which is currently not a choice.

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
4,792 Posts
Then the three dots could say MENU instead maybe (and) have as a choice, a REPORT ISSUE icon which is currently not a choice.
that would work and sounds logical. Unfortunately the moderators have limited input as to what the programmers do.

·
Registered
2007 SRX AWD
202 Posts
Sorry Birdman, I had no intention of starting another lengthy argument on here, I just thought in a time where when my cell phone rings it can display a picture of who's calling and play a specific ringtone if I choose, it shouldn't be a stretch to have the REPORT feature a bit more obvious. I know it is feasible because I was my own webmaster for my woodworking business years ago. If I was doing it I would put another hotlink saying REPORT down where you can SAVE or Share.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
You are not alone in your thinking bbc0. Voice your concerns in the Community Help forum and maybe Admin will get the message.

·
Registered
96 FWB
353 Posts
IDK what Flikr is, but here's the top hit googling, "why 3 dots on forums":

I draw from this the premise is that using internationally recognized symbols constitutes programming progress v. having to translate their corresponding words (or concepts) across different markets (countries). As indicated, it's already been the subject of discussion elsewhere for over 7 years, and apparently little indication of discontinuing the practice since then. So, 1)it's here to stay, 2)we've discovered we're behind the curve, 3)resistance is futile, and 4)we'd all best just 'catch up'.

bbc0, you make a good suggestion there at the end. But, there you go again using words. lol

On another tack I feel the impact and focus of this thread is being diluted as regards 'SCAM ALERT' (not to mention the value of all the volunteer's diligence). If no one objects may I recommend the thread be closed, and all replies beyond original notice be 'moved' to a new thread, 'Why 3 Dots On The Forum'.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
Probably not a bad idea to move them to Community Help", but since this is Sub's thread, I'll let him move them if he deems it appropriate.

·
Registered
2007 SRX AWD
202 Posts
IDK what Flikr is, but here's the top hit googling, "why 3 dots on forums":

I draw from this the premise is that using internationally recognized symbols constitutes programming progress v. having to translate their corresponding words (or concepts) across different markets (countries). As indicated, it's already been the subject of discussion elsewhere for over 7 years, and apparently little indication of discontinuing the practice since then. So, 1)it's here to stay, 2)we've discovered we're behind the curve, 3)resistance is futile, and 4)we'd all best just 'catch up'.

bbc0, you make a good suggestion there at the end. But, there you go again using words. lol

On another tack I feel the impact and focus of this thread is being diluted as regards 'SCAM ALERT' (not to mention the value of all the volunteer's diligence). If no one objects may I recommend the thread be closed, and all replies beyond original notice be 'moved' to a new thread, 'Why 3 Dots On The Forum'.
I live in a country that wants to 'fit in' and so years ago moved to 'System International' for weights and measures and so for that last 40 years I have found myself doing mental calculations everytime I gas up. Personally I find it very comfortable to visit our 'behind the curve' neighbours and know really what a gallon of gas costs, albeit a US gallon and not imperial like we used to have. Some internationally recognized symbols make sense to me, the 'thumbs up' for example, but 'three dots', not so much.

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
4,792 Posts
Sorry Birdman, I had no intention of starting another lengthy argument on here, I just thought in a time where when my cell phone rings it can display a picture of who's calling and play a specific ringtone if I choose, it shouldn't be a stretch to have the REPORT feature a bit more obvious. I know it is feasible because I was my own webmaster for my woodworking business years ago. If I was doing it I would put another hotlink saying REPORT down where you can SAVE or Share.
I didn't view this as an argument, rather a discussion of features that could be done in some other way. Agree with Ranger, since this is Sub's thread it is up to him whether to move, close, etc.

·
Administrator
68,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll leave the thread open as-is. Post #1 was intended as pure scam safety info and actually required NO replies. If others want to hijack it and ramble on, have at it. The other moderators were only trying to smooth the flow.

I posted an alert - if a member wants to convey recommended changes, edits, or needs and wants to Site Admin then the correct avenue is the Community Help forum. Post CF Site maintenance or grooming in a specific vehicle forum and Site Admin will never see it.

·
Registered
2019 XTS Luxury AWD, 2004 SRX N* AWD (gone)
981 Posts
I have just finished banning/spam cleaning (EDIT) 11 new "members" who joined within the last 50 hours. 2 of those were sending me PMs ("Conversations") asking for e-mail addresses and personal info. All 11 were from India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Belarus, and Nigeria. A scammer tipoff is a short reply that just doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the thread. They do it to test the waters and to build up post counts. Heads up!

Please be very careful about replying to unwanted messages or when opening strange links in posts.

2 of this bunch were the types who post small text links spaced down from their gibberish text. Do not click on any of those links! You may get a lot more than you bargained for. If you hover over suspected text and it turns bluish don't click it - it's probably infected.

Read the sticky thread ^ ^ ^ "Save A Computer!"
Too bad we can't make them walk the plank or even better eject them from the aft tube at 50 fathoms.

·
Administrator
68,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Careful - my first bunk in USS PIPER (SS 409) was in the After Torpedo Room. The upper bunk just port of the escape trunk skirt.

Scroll around in this website - PAMPANITO is an exact sister ship to PIPER.

Scroll down the main page and read the directions - you can scroll and pan up,down, sideways to any place in each compartment. ................. memories .......... an hour of interest.

·
Registered
Mercedes C300 Luxury - ATS retired (torque coverter shudder)
725 Posts
Nine days ago I received a red flag raising "request" in my conversations:

"Hi there , I’m writing you as regard an upcoming Automobile focused book that’s to be launched in mid 2021 by one of the leading authors in the automobile industry . I’m Nicole bill and I recently graduated from Harvard .. I’m being giving my first Field work which will determine if I would be retained or not .. I will like to engage you in a conversation maybe I can find answers to the questions I have for the general public .. thank you"

My reply:

"Nicole Bill, I find it hard to believe you graduated from Harvard. Your syntax, spelling, grammar, sentence and paragraph structure are illiterate.

Therefore I would not be interested."

·
Administrator
68,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Nice work - and literary crap like that is a dead giveaway ............ some of the stuff that comes from Nigeria is laughable.

EDIT at 0948 EST - FWIW, I just did some in-site snooping for member "Nicole Bill". Well, son of a bitch !!!! It's a non-posting scammer from Lagos, Nigeria ! Now permanently gone. It was using a slew of rotating proxy addresses. That's how you got the PM ("Conversation") just like I did a few days ago...............

If it floats your boat, get into an IP address locator and enter his address - 197.210.53.190

I think this is the same guy who was banned/spam cleaned a month or so back. Our in-site filters show him as using multiple IPs.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts