Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Diamond Pearl Tricoat A6 Sedan
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So while I'm away my ceiling fan in the master bath shorts out and starts a fire. My son is home in the basement and by the time he smells smoke the 2nd floor is ablaze. My garage is below the Master bedroom.the fire trucks (3 of them) get there in 2 minutes and then my son realizes the danger to my V. The firemen won't let him near the house until the fire is out so he tells them there is a very special car in the garage he must save. They go up to the garage window and look in at my V and said "ok go ahead and get it out." My house is f---ed up but the V is fine. God bless my Son and the Edmonton Fire Dept and plenty of house insurance. You can build a new house but the V would be hard to replace.

·
Registered
Gone; ‘09 V, ‘13 V coupe. Curr; ‘14 PG Vsport prem w/Kona interior
6,177 Posts
Oh man, I'm really sorry about your house. Thankfully, and most importantly, your brave and loving son is okay. Saving the V is just icing on the cake.
These are the times we're reminded of what's most important.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
vfaninva said:
Oh man, I'm really sorry about your house. Thankfully, and most importantly, your brave and loving son is okay. Saving the V is just icing on the cake. These are the times we're reminded of what's most important.
absolutely, I am glad he was home or we would have lost my Golden Retriever and my sons Habanese(also a dog) my boy is 35 but was quite shaken up by the whole thing, maybe I'll waive his rent for the rest of the year. Oh wait, I may be living in my RV for a while. You just have to stay positive and be thankful for what didn't happen. Even photos etc are backed up online so I'm good. Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Im glad no one was hurt. When I read the title of the thread I thought it was going to be about a near accident.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Wow! Thankfully nobody was hurt and your son was smart enough to think about the V. That's awesome! You need to buy him something special...after you rebuild the house.

·
Registered
2014 SRX Performance, 2013 CTS-V
501 Posts
Sorry to read about your misfortune. Hopefully everything will be back to normal quickly. We are taking a 3,500 mile trip in two weeks. I decided to take our 2014 SRX instead of the 2013 CTS-V sedan. It surprised the wife that I didn't want to take the CTS-V. I told her I didn't want to leave it in motel parking lots overnight and we are heading to tornado alley, Kansas, for the wife's high school reunion. I told her I can easily replace the SRX, but replacing the fully optioned CTS-V, 6 speed manual, would not be that easy.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the blur said:
A ceiling fan did this ?? Are you sure it wasn't something else???
the vent fan in the bathroom is what the investigator said.

·
Registered
177 Posts
sucks to hear about your house, glad everyone was okay. I must admit I laughed pretty hard about saving your V (not in a bad way if that makes sense) Just is humorous how much we love our cars and out of all the stuff that could have possibly been saved your son thought of the car.

I remember I woke up to a fireball that was my neighbors house and after waking up my roommate the first thing I thought of was my new truck and V. In a way it kind of feels like I should get rid of my cars because I want them to stay nice and new but with life stuff (hopefully no fires but driving/dings/kids etc) always happens. I shouldn't be so attached to my cars or spend the kind of money I do.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Blakester said:
Sorry to hear Rob. Anything I can check on or do for you in town, I have the time. Take care!
thanks I appreciate it but between my son and brother (a lawyer) I think we have it under control. Lots of family in the area about 50 of us and we can always count on each other. I have been blessed with much more good luck than bad so we have a positive attitude.

·
Registered
2010 CTS-V 6MN Thunder Gray; 07 SRX AWD N*;
1,219 Posts
Wow! Definitely a blessing that you all (dogs included!) came away physically unscathed from this. I know what you are feeling and what your son went through. We went through losing our house to a fire on Mother's Day, 2012. The house was empty except for our cat. The investigator had it pinpointed to an electrical outlet in the laundry room where there was a dustbuster plugged into it.
Hope your insurance company cooperates... we went through hell with ours (Economical) and ended up retaining the services of a public adjuster who did a great job for us.
If there's anything you feel you would like to discuss, just let me know.
I sincerely hope everything goes smoothly for you.

Best regards,

Elie

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,143 Posts
Smart son. First get out and call Fire Dept, then thinks about the V. And the fact the Fire Department allowed him to do it, wow! That's great. Even if the V went up in smoke the fact everyone is safe is the only thing that matters (even your pups). Why not take a hot lunch to the fire department as a thank you?

·
Registered
2014 SRX Performance, 2013 CTS-V
501 Posts
A ceiling fan did this ?? Are you sure it wasn't something else???
I live in SW Florida so I thought it would be a good idea to put a ceiling fan in my garage. When I was getting a rake, I had to lift it up to clear something. It hit the fan that was turned on. The fan basically exploded. The blades and the fan body came down in separate pieces bouncing off my vehicles. Needless to say, no more ceiling fans in the garage.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,143 Posts
It is still a good idea to put a ceiling fan in the garage. It's a better idea to exercise caution when doing manual labor. Moral of the story: hire it out!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts