Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Cadillac CTS DI AWD Thunder Gray Chromaflair/Ebony
798 Posts
I haven't tried. Probably my only regret going from a SUV to the CTS... I have a Yakima bike rack (for bikes & canoe) and can't bring myself to place anything on top of those clean lines on the CTS. Just look at those brazed roof joints!

Good Luck and let us know how you make out. Pictures please!

"The quality of the exterior finish is further enhanced by cutting edge manufacturing techniques. An innovative laser-brazing technique affixes the roof panel more crisply, and means the exterior roof surface is uninterrupted, free of the obvious joints that are common on other vehicles."

·
Registered
2009 CTS DI RWD
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I mounted the rack today (a SARIS "Bones" two bike rack, BTW ... not SAURUS ... apparently, I can't spell) with no problems. The rack rests securely on the top of the rear bumper (this is where the weight loads up), and the trunk lid straps have broad, flat "hooks" which are appear to be vinyl coated so no worries about the paint.

The big support arms (three of them) which come in contact with the car have large rubberized feet; as long as the car's paint is relatively clean when you install it, I think it will be fine. I wouldn't leave the rack on the car unless carrying a bike, and I wouldn't install it on a dirty car. When I removed the rack today, there was no trace of it ever being there ... no scratches, no smudges, nothing at all.

I put my big, heavy Cannondale Touring bike on it today and it was rock solid. The bike was no wider than the car on either side. The only bummer is you lose use of the trunk while the rack is on the car.

·
Registered
'14 CTS 2.0 Luxury AWD, 2017 XT5 AWD
1,415 Posts
I mounted the rack today (a SARIS "Bones" two bike rack, BTW ... not SAURUS ... apparently, I can't spell) with no problems. The rack rests securely on the top of the rear bumper (this is where the weight loads up), and the trunk lid straps have broad, flat "hooks" which are appear to be vinyl coated so no worries about the paint.

The big support arms (three of them) which come in contact with the car have large rubberized feet; as long as the car's paint is relatively clean when you install it, I think it will be fine. I wouldn't leave the rack on the car unless carrying a bike, and I wouldn't install it on a dirty car. When I removed the rack today, there was no trace of it ever being there ... no scratches, no smudges, nothing at all.

I put my big, heavy Cannondale Touring bike on it today and it was rock solid. The bike was no wider than the car on either side. The only bummer is you lose use of the trunk while the rack is on the car.
:thehand::thehand::thehand::thehand::thehand::thehand::thehand::thehand::rant2::rant2::rant2::thepan::thepan::thepan::thepan::thepan::thepan:

·
Registered
2008 CTS4
28 Posts
This is why I kept my Audi A6 with 180,000 miles. It is now my junker to haul my bikes. I have the saris two bike rack as well, and I just can't make myself put it on the CTS. When I take my bike somewhere and I just have to drive the CTS, I pull the wheels from my bike and put it in the trunk. It will just barely fit.

·
Registered
2009 CTS DI RWD
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL ... its a tough call as to which one to garage. But the Z3 is a 1997 with only 38k miles on it, and it doesn't get driven in the winter. So it wins the jump ball for the garage.

The remote start for the CTS makes it bearable ... especially in the colder months.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts