Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Satallite Radio

Anyone add an aftermarket Satellite tuner? I know I could have gotten XM factory installed but Im not a fan of XM. I prefer Sirius with true commercial free programming. Plus I like their channels better. Anyway looking to see if anyone has done this and if so how was the install and how did you approach it? FM Modulated or can you direct connect to the stock head unit, and if so what brand tuner works? Any pics would be greatly appreciated too. I hope someone has done this before me. I hate being a guinnea pig. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I would get a direct input cable, such as PIE, rather than FM modulate or use a cassette adapter if your cassette player is in good shape. Here's the link to the PIE adapters. They do not make them for all cars.

http://www.pie.net/sec12sb1m.htm

Sirius is NOT commercial free. Most of the music stations that I listen to with my XM are commercial free, but the commercials on stations like CNBC or CNN will be the same on Sirius and XM.

Click on the "WWW" below to see my XM installations. Sirius would be similar.

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
I took the XM plunge about two years ago, right after it came out. I'm addicted and I don't think I'd be very happy without it.

I replaced the stock head unit in my '00 Prelude with a Pioneer cassette deck that was XM compatible. I was able to daisy-chain the head unit, the XM module, and a 12-disc CD changer in my trunk.

My antenna is ugly, but I may replace it with a smaller one if I decide to keep the car.

I haven't heard Sirius, so I can't make a comparison. I don't know how anyone could say that one is better than the other without spending an ENTIRE DAY listening to each. The commercials on XM are not that overbearing. There are so many channels, if a commercial comes on, I just switch to something else anyway. Plus you pay an extra $3 a month for Sirius, IIRC.

I bought a Sony add-on XM radio for my wife's Volvo. It plugs into the cassette deck, and sounds GREAT. I would think that FM-modulated, or directly in line with the antenna would NOT sound as good. There would always be some interference.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
3 Participants
Elvis