Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac STS 1SC
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to put some new tires on my car and I'm wondering if there is really a downside to going to same size all the way around? (235/50R17) I had the Conti DWS in mind. I want something that will last a while and be quiet. I live in Southern California, so I never see snow and rarely see rain. Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
29,093 Posts
My '06 V8 STS4 has different rim width wheels front and rear, 8" front and 8 1/2"rear. That being said, I use the same size winter tires all the way around but still put the wide rims in the rear. I maintained the staggered tire and rim sizes and locations with summer tires.

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 1SF RWD
6,490 Posts
No issue whatsoever, do it, then you can rotate them.

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac STS 1SC
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I can't rotate them. Last time I took the wheel hubs off, I noticed the rears said "rear only". I think the rims are wider in the rear.

·
Registered
2006 STS 3.6 AWD
1,005 Posts
As far as a quiet tire, I don't think there very many tires out there that "fit the bill" like the Conti DWS does.

Undersand that the softer the tread the quieter the tire will be, but won't last as long. It's a trade-off.

Of course, the tread pattern aslo effects "road noise".

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac STS 1SC
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I need a tire that will take me at least 30k miles. I probably wont have the car for more than about 3 more years. Noise is a priority, but longevity is a bit more important.

I have Yokohama AdvanS.4's on now. They lasted about 30k, which pisses me off because I spent nearly $800 on the set and expected them to last 50k.

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 1SF RWD
6,490 Posts
EChas3 said:
My DWS are fine after 30k; still quiet.

They are warrantied for 50K.
Yep.

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac STS V8 1SF
84 Posts
I have exactly what you're describing: 235/50R17 Continental DWS on all four (staggered) rims. I rotate them front to rear. The"rear"rims work just fine on the front and vice versa. I have been doing this for years without issue. Only when an alignment is required do I ensure the rims are in their "proper" places. BTW, I *love* the Conti DWS. Replaced Michelin Pilot sport A/S Plus (harsh and noisy ride). The Conti's are supple and handle great. Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
05 STS
512 Posts
I have exactly what you're describing: 235/50R17 Continental DWS on all four (staggered) rims. I rotate them front to rear. The"rear"rims work just fine on the front and vice versa. I have been doing this for years without issue. Only when an alignment is required do I ensure the rims are in their "proper" places. BTW, I *love* the Conti DWS. Replaced Michelin Pilot sport A/S Plus (harsh and noisy ride). The Conti's are supple and handle great. Merry Christmas!
My experience too...

·
Registered
2008 Cadillac STS
12 Posts
I'm thinking about putting aftermarket rims on my 08 STS RWD and suggestions on which sizes fit and what would look the best and ride the best???

·
Registered
1976 Eldo Convertible & 2008 STS
1 Posts
Did you get a response for your 08 RWD? I want same but for winter. I now have fronts tires=235/50/ZR18 - 97V and rears = 255/45/ZR18 - 99W

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 1SF RWD
6,490 Posts
235/50/18's fit well all around I hear, plan on doing that in the spring.

Reactions: ECha3

·
Registered
2005 STS Northstar RWD
514 Posts
I recently put Yokohama YK580's on my wifes Saturn Vue and was so impressed with them I put them on the STS about a week later. So far, they have been great tires.

·
Registered
2005 STS N*, 1SF, 144K mi.
650 Posts
The Continental DWS behaves as if it were designed for the STS.

Quiet, and I thought I'd have to put on new shoes 7K miles ago.

They've suddenly started wearing like iron. Today, hard rain, still no hydroplaning @ 70 MPH, and I know how worn they are.

·
Registered
2006 STS 1SG & 2007 STS 1SE
13 Posts
I've got over 25,000 on mine and they are still quiet and have great traction. I do rotate them every oil change, roughly annual & 10k.

·
Registered
09 SRX V8 AWD Sport, 06 STS V8
159 Posts
I just put winter tires on my STS, same size Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D 235/50R18 all around with aftermarket Niche NR10 rims. So far so good.

DSC_4587.JPG

·
Registered
08 STS V, had 06 V6 STS
427 Posts
I ran 255/35/20's on all 4's for about 10k miles with no problems at all. They were Nitto 555's on KMC Dimes. I enjoyed them right up to the day I traded the car in. The Nitto's were good for So Cal but the guys on the east coast who actually have winter months may not like them. Car was a little rough compared to stock, but by no means did it ride rough. I got many compliments from people that rode in the car about how smooth it was with 20's.

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac STS 1SC
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I got the DWS's put on a couple days ago and couldn't be happier. I went the same size all around.

Thanks for the tips guys.

·
Registered
6 Posts
sorry fellas to bring this up from the dead, but the STS 4 that i have has the same size tires as OP (235R5017). i need some new tires and found a guy that has a whole set of almost brand new 225R5017 for a great price. i know the size is a little smaller but was wondering if that would work without problems on stock STS rims? thanks!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts