Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This message has been split from a topic in the CTS area regarding a CTS with a 3.8 Grand National turbocharged engine:

That's really amazing! Z06 and Viper territory!

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Re: CTS 11.6secs @ 120 mph!

Sal Collaziano said:
That's really amazing! Z06 and Viper territory!
That's WAY quicker than a ZO6 or Viper Sal.
It's amazing that after so long, the Buick Grand National is STILL a performance ICON.

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I've seen a stock Z06 run 11.7 and I've heard of one running 11.6. These guys haven't beat all the stock Viper's they've raced... The guys who know how to race their Z06's are consistently in the high 11's and the same goes for the Vipers - only a bit faster.

In regards to the GN - that was an amazing setup. Even those regular T-Types were so far ahead of their time.. It was all downhill for a long, long time when they got rid of the GN...

·
Registered
6,471 Posts

Sal Collaziano said:
I've seen a stock Z06 run 11.7 and I've heard of one running 11.6. These guys haven't beat all the stock Viper's they've raced... The guys who know how to race their Z06's are consistently in the high 11's and the same goes for the Vipers - only a bit faster.

In regards to the GN - that was an amazing setup. Even those regular T-Types were so far ahead of their time.. It was all downhill for a long, long time when they got rid of the GN...

Sal,
Again I have to say that I think your times are way off on the ZO6. All the ones I've seen are usually in the mid to upper 12's.
Matter of fact, the other night at Atco raceway, there was a guy with a ZO6 and he ran a 14 second 1/4. NOW THAT'S PATHETIC.
But I just watched a show on TV last night and they did a side by side drag race between the ZO6 and the new Viper. The cars were both driven by professionals and the Viper beat the Vette by like 4 tenths. The Viper did a 12.4 and the Vette did a 12.8. So again, I feel your times are off by quite a bit.

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Katshot said:
Sal,
The Viper did a 12.4 and the Vette did a 12.8. So again, I feel your times are off by quite a bit.
With all due respect, my numbers aren't off - and that's a fact. Sorry...

At any cost, being that LS1 Z28's have hit high 12's (on very rare occasion) and so have '96 Corvette Grand Sports (yes, they were faster than C5's. The LT4 will out run the LS1 in 75% of all cases) - right out of the box - why would anyone make such a big deal over the Z06 if it did the same? Professional race car drivers or not - they're not getting the best numbers.

The ZR-1's were getting low to mid 12's way back in 1990. Even the dummies at Motor Trend got a 12.8 at 113.8mph...

For two years I was totally in love with Corvettes and studied them feverishly... It's only after I got one that I realized I'm a 100% luxury kinda guy...

·
Registered
6,471 Posts

I think you're not able to be objective about them. Just picked up a new Road & Track and in the "test results" page it had virtually the same times as I told you about. They had the ZO6 at 12.8 and the Viper at 12.3. I've personally seen ZO6's run better and worse than those numbers at the track but I feel they are truly "representative" numbers. Your numbers MAY be possible for a ZO6, and MAYBE even a stock one in RARE instances but I would hardly call them "representative".

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Look.

I said: That's really amazing! Z06 and Viper territory!

You said: That's WAY quicker than a ZO6 or Viper Sal.

Being that 2001 and newer Z06's CAN do 11.6 in the quarter mile without any modifications, it's NOT way quicker than a Z06.

Nobody cares what Road and Track gets in the quarter mile. My numbers ARE possible for a stock Z06. Not MAY or MAYBE. So they are representative of what the car CAN do under the right circumstances with the right driver. Just like the 11.6 second CTS.

P.S. I'm going to move this into the Lounge soon...

·
Registered
6,471 Posts

Sal Collaziano said:
Look.

I said: That's really amazing! Z06 and Viper territory!

You said: That's WAY quicker than a ZO6 or Viper Sal.

Being that 2001 and newer Z06's CAN do 11.6 in the quarter mile without any modifications, it's NOT way quicker than a Z06.

Nobody cares what Road and Track gets in the quarter mile. My numbers ARE possible for a stock Z06. Not MAY or MAYBE. So they are representative of what the car CAN do under the right circumstances with the right driver. Just like the 11.6 second CTS.

P.S. I'm going to move this into the Lounge soon...

Sorry, I'm NOT buying a completely stock ZO6 doing a 11.6 1/4. My experience seems to agree with several reputable sources, whereas IMO, yours is very "optimistic" at best, and certainly NOT what you could call "representative" times for the car.
We'll just have to disagree on this one.

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

What a perfect way to settle a debate. :D

I can understand where you're coming from. The 11.6 I've only heard of one-time. I've seen the 11.7 but of course, that could have been an error somehow or another. Otherwise, I've read about 11.7 runs from reputable sources on www.corvetteforums.com - but then again, how can anybody really, REALLY be sure. When all is said and done, who really cares anyway?

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now put that 11.97 second Viper in the hands of someone who drives one daily and brings it to the track frequently, and I bet you get even better numbers.. The biggest problem with these cars is hooking up. It takes a heck of a lot of practise getting these cars to take off right.

Attachments

·
Registered
´67 Eldorado, ´96 Eldorado
522 Posts
Sal Collaziano said:
Now put that 11.97 second Viper in the hands of someone who drives one daily and brings it to the track frequently, and I bet you get even better numbers.. The biggest problem with these cars is hooking up. It takes a heck of a lot of practise getting these cars to take off right.
I agreed - Viper is powerplant!
In fact we have here (in Estonia) one Viper, and it wins in two years all 1/4 mile runs, where it drives....(OK, then we dont have many strip cars) :worship:

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Nice article but most of the cars are modified, and many of the times are anything but "normal" for the cars. A sub-12 second pass for a stock Viper is virtually unheard of. And the newer Camaro SS and Firebird Firehawk times are just crazy. I've NEVER seen such slow times for them.

·
Registered
1995 FTS
4,577 Posts
Sal: If you "saw" a Z06 do a 11 second pass then most likely the guy was yanking your chain when saying it was stock. Because I go to Atco and E-Town a decent amount and the fastest "stock" Z06 I have ever seen has ran a 12.3 and I saw one run an 11.8 but he had drag slicks on. So IMO the guy was BS'ing you.

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
BlackoutSpecV said:
Sal: If you "saw" a Z06 do a 11 second pass then most likely the guy was yanking your chain when saying it was stock. Because I go to Atco and E-Town a decent amount and the fastest "stock" Z06 I have ever seen has ran a 12.3 and I saw one run an 11.8 but he had drag slicks on. So IMO the guy was BS'ing you.
That is certainly a good possibility... I can never really know for certain...

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
Nov. 2002 Motortrend puts the Z06 at 12.85 @ 114.36, and the Viper SRT-10 12.37 @ 117.21, and this is all I have to go by as I don't get out to our track anymore to watch them rip 'er up. :burn:

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Ralph said:
Nov. 2002 Motortrend puts the Z06 at 12.85 @ 114.36, and the Viper SRT-10 12.37 @ 117.21, and this is all I have to go by as I don't get out to our track anymore to watch them rip 'er up. :burn:
Virtually identical to the times I quoted again. Sorry Sal.

·
...Reloaded
'05 XLR
1,698 Posts
Low to mid 12's for a previous generation Viper, but the new one is consistently high 11's stock with a capable driver (500 vs 450 horsepower and *many* other improvements).

Z06's also come in two different flavors (405 vs 385 horsepower) but they pretty much all run mid to high 12's stock.

As mentioned above, whether or not a vehicle is truly stock when raced is not known. The tester cars sent to the mags for evaluation used to be "enhanced" for better published results but *supposedly* that is no longer the case.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
You're right. The tester cars can be specially prepared for the magazine, and probably are still. But they are still STOCK and not actually modified. Just properly tuned and setup.
The Viper vs. ZO6 race I saw on TV the other day was using the new Viper and it pulled virtually identical times to the old ones. I certainly haven't really delved into the subject but I wouldn't be surprised if the new car wasn't significantly faster than the last one. I thought it's main attraction is supposed to be that it's chassis is much more "civilized".
Actually, there's a funny quote from this months Road & Track about the E55 AMG:
"Based on our previous road test, the E55 AMG can almost keep up with the Dodge Viper SRT-10, and for sure can outrun a Corvette ZO6 without breaking a sweat."
That cracked me up. Just thought any Vette lovers would appreciate it :sneaky:

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm perfectly okay with being the only one here who knows a 2001 and newer Z06 is capable of mid/high 11's ya know...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts