Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
05 Redline CTS
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i got some tar spots on my car, whast the best product to remove these lil bugers.....

·
Registered
1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk
3,963 Posts
or Turtle Wax Bug-n-Tar remover. Bear in mind that pretty much no matter what you use will take any wax you have with it too.

Jim

·
Registered
05 Redline CTS
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wd-40 will work, when u say remove wax, i have never waxed my car, only what the autmated carwashs spray on, so can i just clean the tar off then run it thru the carwash?

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
If you haven't waxed it I wouldn't sweat it. It still might make a 'dull' spot even with car wash wax. Just run it through again.

Jim

·
Registered
2004 CTS (sold), 2014 ATS
453 Posts
turbojimmy said:
or Turtle Wax Bug-n-Tar remover. Bear in mind that pretty much no matter what you use will take any wax you have with it too.

Jim
That's what I've used on all my cars. It even works well taking off the little rubber goobers left after a nice burnout :D

·
Registered
1994 Sedan Deville
2,146 Posts
Ok don't laugh but here it goes: Go to the store and get a jar of JIF, Skippy, or any store brand peanut butter. Put it on the spot. Let it be exposed for a while then vigorously wipe off. :hide: Just don't use it afterwards for a PB&J sandwich. :D

·
Registered
1989 Fleetwood FWD / 2000 ETC / 2000 STS / 2006 STS V-8 1SF RWD
475 Posts
Hello...
I've used PeanutButter with decent results...
as long as the sap is fresh.
I prefer garden-variety bug/sap remover.

FYI...PeanutButter works well in removing chewing gum from hair.

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac CTS, 2008 Cadillac CTS
733 Posts
joeyblaze said:
wd-40 will work, when u say remove wax, i have never waxed my car, only what the autmated carwashs spray on, so can i just clean the tar off then run it thru the carwash?
OMG a Cadillac owner who does not wax!!! :ill: Are you sure you don't own a Kia or something??? :hmm: lol

·
Registered
04' CTS Luxury Sport, 2010 RWD Platinum Escalade
51 Posts
while were on the subject.... there were some bird droppings about 10 of them on the hood. After a "good" hand washing the car using the mitt from mrclean and drying it (dried real good this time) i could still see the outline on the shi*t. Im trying to be kind of gentle with the car's finish so what is good to take this off. i'm also guilty of never waxing my car cause i just got it in june....

Other than making it look shiny, what else does wax do for the finish?

second time posting (newbie).... does this fall into the realm of thread crapping?

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
TexCad said:
second time posting (newbie).... does this fall into the realm of thread crapping?
:welcome: to the Forum Tex :D Wax also reduces paint oxidation and eviromental contaminates from eroding your finish.

As to Peanut Butter..I speak from experience in saying don't use the Jif "Extra Crunchy":eek:

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
TexCad said:
while were on the subject.... there were some bird droppings about 10 of them on the hood. After a "good" hand washing the car using the mitt from mrclean and drying it (dried real good this time) i could still see the outline on the shi*t. Im trying to be kind of gentle with the car's finish so what is good to take this off. i'm also guilty of never waxing my car cause i just got it in june....

Waxes provide a protectant from contaminants that you run into by driving (bird crap, acid rain, exhaust, all kinds of crap in the environment). The car will stay clean longer, too, because stuff won't stick to it as easily. A good wax might have protected the finish from the bird crap. At this point you're going to have to use a wax with a cleaner (abrasive) or a mild compound to take a layer off the clear coat - aka 'buff it out'.

Jim

·
Registered
75 Posts
turbojimmy said:
Waxes provide a protectant from contaminants that you run into by driving (bird crap, acid rain, exhaust, all kinds of crap in the environment). The car will stay clean longer, too, because stuff won't stick to it as easily. A good wax might have protected the finish from the bird crap. At this point you're going to have to use a wax with a cleaner (abrasive) or a mild compound to take a layer off the clear coat - aka 'buff it out'.

Jim
Ditto.:bling:
This will save you the peanut butter for snack.:hide:

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
Gasoline and a Bic lighter removes tar!:D :duck:

Seriously when nothing is handy I have used gasoline or Kerosene to remove tar. I quickly wash the surface afterwards and apply some Zaino.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I use the Turtle Wax Bug&Tar Remover too. It works great! When I take my Corvette to the track, it gets a lot of rubber marks on it and the Turtle Wax Bug&Tar remover works well on that too.

- Mark

1 - 20 of 25 Posts