Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2006 DTS Black Raven
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What's up DTS Nation. I just talked to my grandmother. She was involved in a car accident in my Caddy. She's fine but listening to her talk to the tow truck driver makes me think my car may be done for.

She said she was at a stop sign and didn't see anything coming and pulled out and got t boned from the front drivers side. The cop even said that the other lady had to be speeding, but because there was a stop sign for my grandma she got a citation. The tow truck driver said my radiator is busted, the axle or tie rod is broken, the fender above the front right tired is messed up, somehow there's a dent near the gas cap I'm guessing from the t bone, and he said the under carriage is broken.

So what do you guys think will happen. Since I'm overseas I gave her a power of attorney over my car and she has it insured so that's all covered but I don't want to lose the Lac. I just lost my last one to an accident thanks to people who can't drive in VA.

Is my black beauty done for based off of what I've heard? She's going to get me some pictures later. I'm glad she's okay, but what do you expect when you in a Caddy. She said it was a Mazda that hit her and it didn't fare to well. Oh well that woman shoulda had a Caddy too.:cool2:

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
Wheel
tire
spindle
hub
engine cradle
strut
caliper
rotor(s)
axle
boot(s)
u joint(s)
electronic components
fender
radiator support
parking light
bumper
chrome trim??
hood hinges
hood struts

mechanical labor
body labor

paint, primer, clearcoat, other mixers

If ins totals car, they will likely lowball you with wholesale prices. The policies are written so that they do not have to make you whole.

Feel free to pm me when negotiating with ins. I can give you some hints on your homework.

BTW, if you are mil, I wish you the best overseas. Hope you are safe, and thank you for your service.

·
Registered
2006 DTS Black Raven
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nah I'm contracting now but thanks for support. Well she shot me an email and the damage totaled almost $8K. She was unhappy but I told her cars can be replaced not grandmas. She said 3 weeks in the body shop so hopefully they can restore her to her full beauty. Free paint job for the most part. :)

·
Registered
2006 DTS Black Raven
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey fellow DTS owners. I'm on extended vacation right now for minor emergency reasons but anyways I am back in the Caddy. It took 3 months for the repair shop to get her fully restored. I'm going to get the guy to email the pics so I can post the damage which was horrendous. I'm surprised they could fix it. Only thing is that the old saying that once your car gets in accident it doesn't ride the same anymore. Well that's very true. Now I have a wobble when I hit 45mph and it goes away at 60mph and then comes back at 75mph. I can feel it at less than 10mph. I did some investigating on my own and I think that the rim that took the impact is warped or the tire itself is. Not sure but the body shop is going to look her over again for me.

Just a brief description as to what occurred. My grandmother got hit from the left front end by an oncoming car driving with no lights at night. Sux because they ruled it her fault...I'm not to happy about that one. Moving on. My car was hit so hard that she ended up riding alongside the Mazda that hit her. So not only did the front have damage but also the rear left fender behind the gas tank. That is also going to get a do over because the fender wasn't brought all the way back to it pre condition so it looks like my left tire is poking out which if you guys were to take a look at your cars you would see that you almost can't see your rear tire while observing from the rear.

Oh and my left front HID assembly isn't flush with the hood. It actually sort of pokes up enough that I can slide maybe 5 credit cards stacked on each other right between the fender and the bottom of the HID. And last but not least, because the whole wheel was knocked off the car they had to replace the suspension on that side. Now my car sits higher on the left while the right is a little low so now I have to get that passenger front suspension worked on.

When it rains it pours...SMH

·
Registered
2008 DTS LUX III - Gold Mist traded for 2004 Tbird
1,511 Posts
Wow. That sounds like that thing should have been totalled. Gonna be hard to straighten everything out now. BOL!

·
Registered
2006 DTS Black Raven
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow. Sorry to hear that.

Look on the bright side. This could have been your car...
WHOA!!!!!WTF!!!!WOW!!!
Yes I am very fortunate.

Well I spoke to the bodyshop and he looked my car over and said he would do everything free of charge. The rim that may have been warped wasn't covered by the insurance company for whatever reason and he had to get one out of his own pocket (real nice guy). However when I spoke to him before coming back stateside I told him I had some 22's on order and so he had the rim returned. I had no idea he had ordered a replacement until I spoke to him today but it's ok. My rims are on my car now and the wobble is gone:):):):):) and I mean gone:):):):), and for whatever reason my car seems to ride as good as it did with the factory rims on it. Strange!!!

He told me the insurance company was going to total my car but he was able to keep price down by paying for some stuff himself which I told him he should have had them pay because thats their job hell. But he was nice enough to do it and even bought me a new battery because the old one had a dead cell but I paid him for that anyways.

Insurance is one big scam. Hopefully Obama goes after the car insurance next because the hassle we have to go through to get a repair is insane.

And I'm still staring at that DTS. How in the #*!%@#!# did that happen. SMH

·
Registered
1968 Eldorado
785 Posts
Glad to hear you got that straightened out. Vibrations can be tough to narrow down sometimes.

That photo? A freight train collided with a car-carrier truck at a crossing in Kent, Washington. Nobody was injured in the thing, at least two cars were thrown off the truck and one of it, new Cadillac DTS, was dragged a quarter mile by the train. April, 2, 2009 . Here is another view.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts