Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
platnium 04 cts-v
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled out of the driveway at work Wensday the 8th. with "AUTHORITY" like I always do, when I heard this CLUNK!!! WTF?? was my first thought. I stopped put her in reverse CLUNK!!! I got her off the street and into my bay(mind you I'm a mechanic of 14yrs. and running). Upon my inspection I saw my diff. hanging about 3-4 inches, the front mounting ear with the pressed in bushing had snapped, allowing the diff. and shaft to ride on the exhaust. This is the weak link in the diffs. we have,whether you have a 04 or 08 diff. When this ear snaps and it will, it allows the diff to drop putting unwanted stress, and weight to the internals inside the diff. and depending on how fast your going when this occurs the internals get in a bind and burst the case, giving you the grenade effect you read so much about. Lucky for me I wasnt going that fast. So I called Bill Black Cadillac of Greensboro to price the parts. I was F'n shocked, 2,200 for a new rear diff.(1,642.my cost),$330 for a new case($274 my cost).Thank GOD I bought that extended warranty or should I? I turn in the claim and order the case only, after a teardown I saw my pinion & other gears was fine. The part arrived FRI.,but the warranty people arent coming until EASTER MONDAY IF THEN. The ear on the new diff has been upgraded,but still is a poor design. It needs two ears on the front to match the two holding it's rear. This is my first thread so if the pics. do not upload you can view them in the photo-album section in the forum under PlatniumCavette. Thanx!!!!

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
I pulled out of the driveway at work Wensday the 8th. with "AUTHORITY" like I always do, when I heard this CLUNK!!! WTF?? was my first thought. I stopped put her in reverse CLUNK!!! I got her off the street and into my bay(mind you I'm a mechanic of 14yrs. and running). Upon my inspection I saw my diff. hanging about 3-4 inches, the front mounting ear with the pressed in bushing had snapped, allowing the diff. and shaft to ride on the exhaust. This is the weak link in the diffs. we have,whether you have a 04 or 08 diff. When this ear snaps and it will, it allows the diff to drop putting unwanted stress, and weight to the internals inside the diff. and depending on how fast your going when this occurs the internals get in a bind and burst the case, giving you the grenade effect you read so much about. Lucky for me I wasnt going that fast. So I called Bill Black Cadillac of Greensboro to price the parts. I was F'n shocked, 2,200 for a new rear diff.(1,642.my cost),$330 for a new case($274 my cost).Thank GOD I bought that extended warranty or should I? I turn in the claim and order the case only, after a teardown I saw my pinion & other gears was fine. The part arrived FRI.,but the warranty people arent coming until EASTER MONDAY IF THEN. The ear on the new diff has been upgraded,but still is a poor design. It needs two ears on the front to match the two holding it's rear. This is my first thread so if the pics. do not upload you can view them in the photo-album section in the forum under PlatniumCavette. Thanx!!!!
My bet is that the ring and pinion gears are not okay and will not operate quietly (or reliably) again.

·
Registered
2005 Platinum CTS V-Headers+3in pipes
3,012 Posts

this sucks but gotta love carnage pictures!! Was this the stock 04 Diff? how many miles on it?

·
Registered
'06 Z06, '05 CTS-V 453rwhp/434rwtq (sold)
4,455 Posts
That's a depressing picture everytime I see one. I don't recall seeing one break exactly like this before though.

·
Registered
05 CTS-V w/ warmed-over LS7
134 Posts
It's a rare case indeed when used gears can swapped from case to case without being noisy and having a dramatically shortened life span. :(

The setup procedure has to be reversed, matching the wear pattern on the gears. There are some folks out there who can reliably re-use a gearset for street use but it's a dying art around here. :worship:

I haven't looked to see, but assuming that the Getrag has pinion and carrier shims like most rear ends, the CNC machining should have all the cases dimensionally identical, so that the previously used shim stacks would be applicable. This is another rarity as the cases, carriers and gears have an error accumulation in their finishing which require shims/adjustments. :ill:

The solution............New gears.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts