Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and the rest of GM's "other brands" for that matter. I wonder why GM even keeps Saab around. I look at their lineup and its just looks, well, mediocre at best. The 9-3 is just a Chevy Malibu with an UGLY grill, the 9-2x is just a fancy (and BLATANT rip-off) of the Subaru WRX, and the 9-7x might as well be called a Chevy Trailblazer, since thats what it is anyway.;)

I guess what I'm trying to say, is that why did GM buy Saab if they were just going to starve it of REAL product. If I want a badge-engineered car, I would get a Ford/Lincoln/Mercury Fusion/Milan/Zephyr:D, but to think GM is still badge-engineering, like THIS? It just seems ridiculous. Saab at LEAST deserves ONE car that it can call it own...

·
Registered
16,105 Posts
GM was worse with Isuzu. Saab is too small to worry about. I'll tell you what I don't like is the little GM logo on all the front fenders of all GM cars now. When I buy a new Cadillac, I want a Cadillac to be unique, not everyone to know that it is on par with a Chevy Malibu! They should all be unique and that does not mean putting the same decals on all of the cars. I guess they can easily come off if they have to though..and how many millions will it cost for those stupid little silver decals on every GM car!

"Buick sells twice as many vehicles in the U.S. than Saab sells globally, but GM seems more interested in keeping Saab alive --with rebadged Subarus and Chevys--than in saving Buick."

http://www.forbes.com/columnists/columnists/2005/06/14/generalmotors-buick-discontinuation-cz_jf_0614flint.html

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Saab has their own car, i think, the 9-5

Also, Saab means to the Europeans what Buick and Cadillac means to America, dont be so quick to drop the axe, many Europeans think Buick should be axed. Saab was once more unique, if they had some unique cars it might work, but if i remember Saab only ever had two or three cars in it's line up at any one time. Thast all they need, the PREVIOUS 9-3 is as good as a current BMW 330, my mother had a 1995 Saab 9-3 Convertible, and has a 2005 BMW 330cd, we both prefer the Saab, she will be replacing her beemer with a Saab 9-3, sure it may be built on a reworked Opel Vectra Platform, but its a good platform to begin with. The styling of the 9-3 and 9-5 are both very attractive whilst remaining conservative. Axe Saab in the US maybe, but not altogether....

We dont get a 9-2X or a 9-7 we just get the 9-3 and the 9-5, before this we only got the 900 and the 9000, and thats the way it should stay.

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
GM needed something to compete with Volvo in that ripe Scandanavian market.

The question about SAAB is, WHY do they put the ignition in the console between the seats?

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Elvis said:
GM needed something to compete with Volvo in that ripe Scandanavian market.

The question about SAAB is, WHY do they put the ignition in the console between the seats?
I know this.

Its because in an accident, if the steering column is pushed back, the keys could go into your leg, so Saab moved it to the floor, also its a security feature, the ignition locks the key in a gear, (reverse i think) and cant be moved out unless theres a key in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
mccombie_5