Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6L, 2006 350Z, Ducati 996s
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't remember who wrote this, that they do this normally. MAybe Akasas?, I didn't notice just then, glancing through the thread about the S button. Anyhow, someone mentioned that, in traffic, they start out in winter mode for higher mpg. It makes sense, you start in 3rd gear. But you also bog down.
I tried this out over 2 days, and found on average, about 2 mpg better in the city. It was a very rudimentary test tho.

I think this is worth checking out, as better mpg is more money in our pockets, or more races without fear of no money in our pockets.

Anybody wanna try this out with me?

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
i thought about trying it out tomorrow/this weekend. i have a trip up north for rifle season and i'll be on the highway for about 3 hours. i'll try winter mode (never tried it before). i did notice the last 2 days that if you are going 60-80 and hit the sport mode, it will downshift automatically and the tack will jump up. guess they forecast you're goign to be doing a little passing. neat observation atleast. whenever i get on the highway now i always switch to regular mode. guess i'll try the winter mode and see what it think...i HATE the boggin feeling though...especially with the borla, it makes for a real low resonation at mid/higher speeds...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Starting in winter mode lugs the engine and is not meant to be used under normal circumstances. I don't think this is very healthy to use it regularly.

·
Registered
None
987 Posts
AznPrydeRegalRyde said:
I can't remember who wrote this, that they do this normally. MAybe Akasas?, I didn't notice just then, glancing through the thread about the S button. Anyhow, someone mentioned that, in traffic, they start out in winter mode for higher mpg. It makes sense, you start in 3rd gear. But you also bog down.
I tried this out over 2 days, and found on average, about 2 mpg better in the city. It was a very rudimentary test tho.

I think this is worth checking out, as better mpg is more money in our pockets, or more races without fear of no money in our pockets.

Anybody wanna try this out with me?

I've done this and only casually assumed that it would work for better MPG. Personally I don't find that 3rd gear is unreasonably slow or bogged down at all under normal drving situations and if one is really worried about gas mileage winter mode should help as starting in 3rd gear reduces R.P.Ms and reduces the ETC sensitivity.

Theoretically it may work, but I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to help you out since I honestly don't think I could go an entire week with that little torque on tap lol

Perhaps this winter when we get a nice blizzard i'll "need" to keep it on anyway and we'll see what happens lol.

·
Registered
None
987 Posts
canaveral said:
Starting in winter mode lugs the engine and is not meant to be used under normal circumstances. I don't think this is very healthy to use it regularly.
It really doubt that it has any serious negative effects for the car, it merely starts the transmission in 3rd gear and reduces the ETC sensitivity. Just like Sport mode, Cadillac wouldn't have put it into the car if it was bad for it. Some of the Canadian folks on the forum might be using it all winter long with no adverse effects. Using it in everyday driving will in essence just make you drive slower, which in turn would help you get better MPG (I assume)

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6L, 2006 350Z, Ducati 996s
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm gonna try it out again, I've got my sisters car for another couple days, it looks like. Hopefully.
If theres no adverse affects, this coud help anyone out loking for the extra mpg. I've got a stick, personnally, and even if i didn't, I don't think I could handle the lack of torque. I've owned civics, a bunch of japanese i4's, and thats why I drive American now. Gotta have the low torque!

But yeah, anyone reading this, and loking for better mileage, this is worth checking out!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts