Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've contacted a couple gurus offline about this, but I thought I'd throw it out here too.

While changing out a bent upper A-arm on my Fleetwood today I disconnected the steering shaft for clearance, which is no big deal. Except like a dummy I unbolted it with the steering wheel UNlocked and got the pleasure of seeing the steering wheel take off rotating freely and now I figure my "S.I.R coil" is way out of alignment.

Searches refer to checking the FSM for an alignment procedure but my FSM is currently loant out to a friend. The disconnected steering wheel goes about 7 turns stop-to-stop. I didn't say lock-to-lock because I turned it gently and hopefully haven't overrotated and mutilated some contact switch or yanked a wire lose in the SIR or inside the column. Right now I put the steering wheel on the nearest straight up position closest to 3-1/2 turns from stop and I got the tires perfectly centered forward with the correct 180 degree side of the squared shaft lined up properly with the coupling.

What else is there? Please help, - I'm not moving the car until I'm confident it's right. I hear one of the outcomes of a misaligned SIR is the airbag goes off! :eek:

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Acutually, the odds are higher that it just doesn't work. Its basically a clock spring, and if you wind it too tight, it starts to bind and pull on itself, and if you wind it the other way too much, it hits the cover and just breaks. The goal is to get it in the middle. Look it up in the FSM, this is one thing you want to be absolutely sure of.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks David,

Calls to Navy Lifer and SSStealth delivered the needed info. Yanking the fuse rebooted the system. I must have been gentle enough on rotating the wheel back and forth to find center, - nothing blew up and the correct number of blue flashes proved my own alignment steps were adequate.

Thanks all for the help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
2 Participants
FTSS