Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
NONE
156 Posts
I live in Chicago and my 2005 RWD SUCKED in the snow! The dealer told me it was the number one complaint and very embarrassing for them. But my 2008 STS-4 AWD is the BEST car I have ever driven in Chicago winters! Do need any more convincing????
Were you using the stock tires? My '05 V8 RWD feels like it's on ice with the stock tires...and that's in the rain.

I'm caught in one of those internal debates over snow tires on a fresh set of rims for the winter, or buying a 4x4 winter beater for the really harsh days.

·
Registered
06 STS AWD V8 09 Escalade ESV
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks for all the input! I bought an 06 AWD V8, and for the comment about the gas milage being a problem... No I could car less. All my cars are V8's, my Eddie Bauer Exploder and my 05 T-bird. I did do the test drive of the RWD and the AWD prior to purchase and I just loved the way the AWD held the road compared to the RWD. As for the speed issue between the two...well I am old enough now that is not an issue, I have learned you abuse your car you pay for it, treat it nice and it will last. It is not a race car.

·
Registered
'06 STS AWD V6, '99 Deville
68 Posts
Congratulations! I kinda wish I opted for the V8 AWD instead of the V6 AWD that I have but the dealer "gave it away" to me... Just remember, know where the traction control button is. Its VERY agressive. Read my post above about my slush incident.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Congratulations! I kinda wish I opted for the V8 AWD instead of the V6 AWD that I have but the dealer "gave it away" to me... Just remember, know where the traction control button is. Its VERY agressive. Read my post above about my slush incident.

Will do! Thanks for the heads up!

·
Registered
NONE
156 Posts
Congrats! Since I posted my last message in this thread I went ahead and bought a POS 4X4 to use as my "snow tires".

Living in this climate...I think you made the right choice going AWD if you intend to use the STS year round. Mine will just have to stay home when it gets white outside. :)

·
Registered
2006 STS 1SG & 2007 STS 1SE
13 Posts
One of the auto magazines (forget which) concluded snow tires help a FWD car more than the AWD option and for less money. My wife's RWD STS with Blizzaks may be better than my AWD with OEM Michelin AS but I think that will change when I get better All-Season tires (by November)!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Congrats! Since I posted my last message in this thread I went ahead and bought a POS 4X4 to use as my "snow tires".

Living in this climate...I think you made the right choice going AWD if you intend to use the STS year round. Mine will just have to stay home when it gets white outside. :)
Congrats on the 4x4! Yeah this will be my winter/daily driver, My 50th Anniversary T-Bird is the toy car and sits all winter and rainy days.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts