Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Banned
1996 Fleetwood Brougham
7,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RWD makes a comeback for U.S. automakers
By Edward Lapham
Automotive News / September 16, 2003Carmakers are coming back to rear-wheel drive.

General Motors did it with the Pontiac GTO and is weighing whether to do a whole global family of rear-drive cars with V-8 engines. The Chrysler group already has the Crossfire and will offer a full range of rear-drive Chryslers and Dodges next year.

Once upon a time, most cars were rear-drive. The move to front-drive cars began 30 years ago after the first energy crisis. Back then, automakers liked front-wheel drive because it worked well with four-cylinder engines in small cars.

BMW, Mercedes-Benz and other makers of performance cars never switched. That's because pushing with the rear wheels is better than pulling with the front wheels when it comes to driving high-torque, high-horsepower cars.

And today's car buyers value performance over fuel economy.

http://www.autonews.com/news.cms?newsId=6394

· Banned
1996 Fleetwood Brougham
7,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Night Wolf said:
I do not think RWD will come back alot, I would love it to, but even FWD is eing replaced by AWD< almost every car has AWD as an option, kinda sad now, but it's the new in thing.....
I guess until Ford jumps on board, it's not a comeback.

But since the auto business is becoming more and more a niche market, they need to have every niche filled in to compete.

On a similar note, Toyota is close to being the worlds 2nd largest automaker. I hope that wakes someone up at Ford.

· Banned
1996 Fleetwood Brougham
7,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jonrodman said:
RWD is a lot of fun but I am looking forward to "Burning" hydrogen and smoking all four tires at one time by having a nice efficient high-torque DC motor attached to each tire. If anyone wants more power, they just increase the stack and add more powerful DC motors. I think Hydrogen cars have the potential for very high performance.
Hey, if I had a hydrogen powered Fleetwood, I could call it a 'Hydrogen Bomb'! :D

Not sure I want something that explosive surrounding me at each wheel in the event of an accident. I certainly don't want something that explosive at the gas station near my house!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.