1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
1996 Fleetwood Brougham
7,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RWD makes a comeback for U.S. automakers
By Edward Lapham
Automotive News / September 16, 2003Carmakers are coming back to rear-wheel drive.

General Motors did it with the Pontiac GTO and is weighing whether to do a whole global family of rear-drive cars with V-8 engines. The Chrysler group already has the Crossfire and will offer a full range of rear-drive Chryslers and Dodges next year.

Once upon a time, most cars were rear-drive. The move to front-drive cars began 30 years ago after the first energy crisis. Back then, automakers liked front-wheel drive because it worked well with four-cylinder engines in small cars.

BMW, Mercedes-Benz and other makers of performance cars never switched. That's because pushing with the rear wheels is better than pulling with the front wheels when it comes to driving high-torque, high-horsepower cars.

And today's car buyers value performance over fuel economy.

http://www.autonews.com/news.cms?newsId=6394

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
I do not think RWD will come back alot, I would love it to, but even FWD is eing replaced by AWD< almost every car has AWD as an option, kinda sad now, but it's the new in thing.....

·
Registered
1984 Fleetwood Brougham coupe
1,576 Posts
I could live with AWD anyday!!!!!! Lately it does look like RWD is coming back. Maybe not as big as it once was but its making a comeback.

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
I think that with technology like traction control, it breathes new life into RWD and gives it more control than what it used to have, therefore the comeback. (as well as more and more powerful engines that only RWD or AWD can handle). The opposite effect could be seen as anti-lock brakes helped FWD cars maintain steering control during a panic stop or skid about 12 years ago. :burn: And I think that kept FWD around a lot longer than some might say it should have. ;)

·
Banned
1996 Fleetwood Brougham
7,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Night Wolf said:
I do not think RWD will come back alot, I would love it to, but even FWD is eing replaced by AWD< almost every car has AWD as an option, kinda sad now, but it's the new in thing.....
I guess until Ford jumps on board, it's not a comeback.

But since the auto business is becoming more and more a niche market, they need to have every niche filled in to compete.

On a similar note, Toyota is close to being the worlds 2nd largest automaker. I hope that wakes someone up at Ford.

·
Registered
1996 Seville STS
141 Posts
RWD is a lot of fun but I am looking forward to "Burning" hydrogen and smoking all four tires at one time by having a nice efficient high-torque DC motor attached to each tire. If anyone wants more power, they just increase the stack and add more powerful DC motors. I think Hydrogen cars have the potential for very high performance.

·
Banned
1996 Fleetwood Brougham
7,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jonrodman said:
RWD is a lot of fun but I am looking forward to "Burning" hydrogen and smoking all four tires at one time by having a nice efficient high-torque DC motor attached to each tire. If anyone wants more power, they just increase the stack and add more powerful DC motors. I think Hydrogen cars have the potential for very high performance.
Hey, if I had a hydrogen powered Fleetwood, I could call it a 'Hydrogen Bomb'! :D

Not sure I want something that explosive surrounding me at each wheel in the event of an accident. I certainly don't want something that explosive at the gas station near my house!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts