Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:( Just put new pads and rotors on the front of my 94 Deville. I took the car out for a test drive, and to turn it around so I could do the rears. I did my second hard stop to test the brakes and bam!!! I blew out a rusted brake line running to the rear. I had heard about the split lines in the front and thought that was it, untill I brought it back to the garage and jacked it up and saw where it was leaking. Any ways am going to call around for some brake lines. Hope there not too expensive. Q1 It looks like there are two lines running to the back. I figured that they would split off in the rear at a T-Block? Does it T off futher up, (closer to the Master Cylinder)? My lines rusted out at the bend where they come down for the master to where they run along the frame. Q2 If there are two lines running to the rear, I probably should replace both lines as both show some signs of rust. Q3 After replacing the lines (or even before) are there any special precautions to take to get ready to bleed the lines? Any help would be greatly appreciated, also am doing this job in Ostrander, Ohio Will probably get new lines in Marysville, or Deleware Ohio. If any body knows of a good supplier let me know. Waiting without brakes,

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Quick update. Found the lines run from the ABS unit to the porportioning valve. Will have to take the old ones off, get some straight line and bend to fit. Will probably need to use unions as well as the max length I can get is 6'. Am about to tear into the job, but if anybody can give me any precautions or heads up before I start that would be great. Also, any info on bleeding the system, (esp, with an ABS system) would be a great help.

·
Registered
94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC
3,887 Posts
ABS system is no different than any other system. Just start from the wheel that's farthest away form the master cylender and work your way closer (RR, LR, RF, LF). One of the hard things you will notice is that on the proportioning valves, one side is a different size than the other. If you take the valve to napa, they should have an adapter that fits. Another thing is to have a box of band aids ready for when you do the crossover (tight spaces).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts