Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Rust anywhere on sheet metal should be addressed IMMEDIATELY!!! Before it gets any worse.....! Its not something you wanna deal with later......

Unfortunately, it is out of warranty, so your gonna have to pick up the tab on this one...... This is why you must wash the car frequently in the winter, even if it means a simple rinse or **GASP** an automatic car wash...... :shocked2:

DONT CHEAP OUT..... Get it fixed before it gets worse..... Rust can either be a no biggie fix or a real PITA!!!! I dont want your STS to turn into a "bond-o" car you see driving around in like 10 years because you didnt fix one little rust spot!!!!!

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
2000STS..... Please email me [email protected]

I cant email you through the board......

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Let's try this again. My original post intended to determine if anyone could suggest an appropriate solution to my problem. I bought a 2000 STS in June. I've washed and waxed it a few times and only noticed corrosion on the door panel inner seam last week. It is coming through it would seem as the paint is bubbling on the outside. Otherwise the car is mint.
The car is 15,000KM past the warranty for corrosion but within the time frame to be covered.

Meanwhile I visited my local Cadillac dealer ... he seemed shocked to see the corrosion...took some pictures and said he would talk to GM and see what they would do. I told him I could drive it around rusty till it perforated the metal. At that point I would be covered by the 160,000KM 6 year warranty on perforation.

2000STS

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Thanks for retyping it.......! And sorry for the little mishap I had........

·
Registered
60 Posts
2000STS said:
Let's try this again. My original post intended to determine if anyone could suggest an appropriate solution to my problem. I bought a 2000 STS in June. I've washed and waxed it a few times and only noticed corrosion on the door panel inner seam last week. It is coming through it would seem as the paint is bubbling on the outside. Otherwise the car is mint.
The car is 15,000KM past the warranty for corrosion but within the time frame to be covered.

Meanwhile I visited my local Cadillac dealer ... he seemed shocked to see the corrosion...took some pictures and said he would talk to GM and see what they would do. I told him I could drive it around rusty till it perforated the metal. At that point I would be covered by the 160,000KM 6 year warranty on perforation.

2000STS
Man, how embarassing.They should replace the skin at their expense.This is a Cadillac were talking about.G M flag ship car.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just heard from the dealer. They will not repair the corrosion under warranty. It is 15,000KM past the corrosion warranty. The only warranty that I have left is 6 year rust through.

The dealer will not initiate interaction with GM to have them fix it now rather than when the metal is perforated. He indicated it is up to me to contact "customer service" and attempt to have them cover the repair.

I asked the dealer if he considered corrosion on a 3 year old Cadillac to be acceptable and all he would say is it is not normal. I again indicated that GM is forcing me to drive a rusty 3 year old "luxury" car until the corrosion penetrates the metal. He indicated they may give me a hard time at that point indicating I should have had it fixed earlier.

·
Registered
60 Posts
2000STS said:
Just heard from the dealer. They will not repair the corrosion under warranty. It is 15,000KM past the corrosion warranty. The only warranty that I have left is 6 year rust through.

The dealer will not initiate interaction with GM to have them fix it now rather than when the metal is perforated. He indicated it is up to me to contact "customer service" and attempt to have them cover the repair.

I asked the dealer if he considered corrosion on a 3 year old Cadillac to be acceptable and all he would say is it is not normal. I again indicated that GM is forcing me to drive a rusty 3 year old "luxury" car until the corrosion penetrates the metal. He indicated they may give me a hard time at that point indicating I should have had it fixed earlier.
It looks like go thru the proper channels and see where it takes you.They will probably ask for photo"s and written details. hopefully they will give you some kind of assistance being out of warranty.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pos Sts

Just heard from GM..I suppose I should except the fact that I own a POS and shut up about it. They will not assist me in any way. The fact that a three year old GM vehicle rusts from inside to outside seems to be acceptable and not their fault or problem.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Re: Pos Sts

2000STS said:
Just heard from GM..I suppose I should except the fact that I own a POS and shut up about it. They will not assist me in any way. The fact that a three year old GM vehicle rusts from inside to outside seems to be acceptable and not their fault or problem.
Did you get any kind of an body shop estimate?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pos Sts

No, I haven't. I fully expected this saga to have a happy ending with GM covering the cost. If they will not I will wait till it creates a hole in the door and hopefully have it covered by the longer warranty for rust through. This is a sad way to have to treat a supposed special car but I am so ^&*$# off now that is the way I feel like handling it. This is a car I purchased simply because I liked it...I only drive it on the weekends or when we go out for pleasure drives or vacation. The "pleasure" situation is certainly in jeapardy now. Whenever I think of the car or GM I get steamed.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Frost Pontiac Buick Cadillac in Brampton. I may try the Cadillac dealer in Oakville tomorrow.

The rep at GM "customer service" admitted I can get another opinion as to the nature of the rusting. Frost is calling it "surface rust" but the paint is bubbling on the exterior paint following the inner seam. It seems obvious to me the rust started on the inner skin as the bead of sealer has seperated from the skin and there is a line of rust along the inner seam. The paint on the outside has not broken yet but the paint on the inside has started to peel away.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I would try to find a dealer who has their own body shop, since then it keep within the dealership to make the money
It might be easier to deal with.
Good luck

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Pos Sts

I have been to the other dealer and they tell me the same thing. Apparently the warranty only covers rust through from the inside of the sheet metal not the inside of the car. I am told the rust on the "inside" of the door is not on the "inside" of the sheet metal. Silly me!

Both dealers I have been to have their own body shops.

The second dealer checked the other three doors on the car and THEY ARE ALL ROTTEN. Each door is exhibiting the same characteristics at the same location. If this isn't faulty design / workmanship I can't imagine what would qualify.

Signed,
A future Lexus owner.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Re: Pos Sts

2000STS said:
I have been to the other dealer and they tell me the same thing. Apparently the warranty only covers rust through from the inside of the sheet metal not the inside of the car. I am told the rust on the "inside" of the door is not on the "inside" of the sheet metal. Silly me!

Both dealers I have been to have their own body shops.

The second dealer checked the other three doors on the car and THEY ARE ALL ROTTEN. Each door is exhibiting the same characteristics at the same location. If this isn't faulty design / workmanship I can't imagine what would qualify.

Signed,
A future Lexus owner.
Time for a KIA with their 100000km warrenty
Sorry for your toubless

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Brampton ? Oakville ?

A very good friend of mine has a brother who is a body man for Lexus in Oakville. Im preety close with him too. His whole family actually.
As far as Im concerned he's one of the best in the business. He's done work on my wifes car, our sitters car, and Ive watched him work on others in his driveway. This man doesnt mess around. Its done right or it doesnt get done at all !
I can hook you up with him if you like.
By the sound of it youve got some problems there that probably wont get resolved by waiting. The last thing you want is to hope it rusts through in time for GM to take care of it. If you wait for that and they still say no then youll be driving around on a frame.
Like I said, When it comes to body work this guys the cats ass.
Let me know if we can help !

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re: Brampton ? Oakville ?

Murphy,

Thanks for the offer but the dealer in Oakville has offered to do it for what I feel is quite reasonable. He is going to remove / repair the rust on the four doors, remove the factory installed sealer, install a thiner better bonding sealant strip and blend the metallic paint back in on all four doors for less than $500. Not bad in my book.

It's just a matter of getting it there. It's only a fun car for me so I can leave it for as long as he wants it.

I am totally &$%$*&%^ off at GM and will be continuing to try to persuade them assist me with the cost as a matter of principle. If they don't I will continue endeavor to make as many people as humanly possible aware of the problem in the hopes that others can catch the problem before 4 years and 80,000KM (or whatever it is Stateside). Also, I want to make people aware of the manner in which GM has handled this situation.

Perhaps I am wrong to expect a luxury car to be rust free for more than 3 years. If so, so be it. It blows me away that they are shrugging it off.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Rustproofing?

Ummm...from the description of the other dealers inspection. They mentioned the other 3 doors were rotten too?

Being your in Canada. My guess is the the car has had aftermarket rustproofing done. Does this sound right?

The problem with the aftermarket goop is it plugs up the drain holes. With plugged drain holes it will rust very fast. Have seen Sevilles with plugged rear dog leg areas (area front of rear tire) with 1/2 quart of standing water in them. All due to plugged drain holes and aftermarket rustproofing.

Logan

2000STS said:
Murphy,

Thanks for the offer but the dealer in Oakville has offered to do it for what I feel is quite reasonable. He is going to remove / repair the rust on the four doors, remove the factory installed sealer, install a thiner better bonding sealant strip and blend the metallic paint back in on all four doors for less than $500. Not bad in my book.

It's just a matter of getting it there. It's only a fun car for me so I can leave it for as long as he wants it.

I am totally &$%$*&%^ off at GM and will be continuing to try to persuade them assist me with the cost as a matter of principle. If they don't I will continue endeavor to make as many people as humanly possible aware of the problem in the hopes that others can catch the problem before 4 years and 80,000KM (or whatever it is Stateside). Also, I want to make people aware of the manner in which GM has handled this situation.

Perhaps I am wrong to expect a luxury car to be rust free for more than 3 years. If so, so be it. It blows me away that they are shrugging it off.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
About this Discussion
27 Replies
7 Participants
2000STS