Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1980 FBC
980 Posts
Run as fast as you can. GM had their rust proofing stuff together by this time. That bubbling stuff is a sign the car was eating MSG or was clipped leaded to a 900 foot steel radio tower all its life.

·
Registered
1980 Eldorado, 1974 Talisman, 2004 Volvo C70, 1975 Fleetwood 'd Elegance
7,958 Posts
I've seen worse, but I am in Wisconsin.
Looks like what I would expect from Columbus OH?:noidea:

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
They didn't use overly good paint on any of the under hood stuff and that spot on the trunk lid shows how crappy GMs primer was in those days. It probably started at the lip and grew from there. There's a lot worse on cars around here. Gotta find one that's never been winter driven or from a state that has a nicer climate if you want one that's completely rust free but what's in those pics isn't much to worry about as long as the rest of the car is nice.

·
Registered
70 Deville 77 Fleet 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville
3,310 Posts
That rust is pretty minimal around here. Just enough to keep the car from being mint. That is just from winter driving. Once that little bit of rust is touched up and If the car never sees winter again it won't rust again. BUT.........you better look closer at the rest of the car. Assuming that is the only rust spots, that isn't a big deal. Usually if there is rust like that then the underneath will be much worse. If the frame and everything behind the rear wheels has scaly rust.........well, pay accordingly. It will still last a long time if it never sees salt again.

·
Registered
chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
6,397 Posts
Looks typical for a winter driven car around here. I'd put it up in the air and inspect the undercarriage thoroughly. Personally, I would never buy a car with cladding from a rust belt state unless I was allowed to remove it prior to purchase. That cladding can hide some very large rust holes.

·
Registered
84 Coupe w/500
5,665 Posts
Car looks good to me. Not one of those $5k cars but that's considered minimal rust to me. What motor?

·
Registered
84 Coupe w/500
5,665 Posts
Sounds like a nice combo. 5.0 with the soft suspension and d'elegance package. The speedo cluster is easy to change so just make sure you believe the mileage or can look it up on carfax. I don't really see much of a rust problem. I'd like to pay $4k at the most. I see them going for more but I figure I can find one for around 35 to 4k.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sounds like a nice combo. 5.0 with the soft suspension and d'elegance package. The speedo cluster is easy to change so just make sure you believe the mileage or can look it up on carfax. I don't really see much of a rust problem. I'd like to pay $4k at the most. I see them going for more but I figure I can find one for around 35 to 4k.
And the top...?

·
Registered
87 Brougham, 1969 Calais, 95 FWB, 07 SRX, 07 ESV
4,246 Posts
rust is pretty minor on it...dent on the passenger door would need to be popped out...

top looks OK, but you'd need to try cleaning it before you could tell if it's really faded a lot or just dirty.

I wouldn't pay anywhere near 5k for it. for me, tops on it would probably be $1500 but prices around here are probably way different than where you are.

·
Registered
1990 Brougham, 1990 Brougham d'elgance 1979 Coupe
1,196 Posts
Hoods and trunk lids come off with 4 bolts and removing a wire harness. The quarter panel can have a patch welded in. Its all about the floor pan, that needs to be a inspected real good.

If your the feller in another country, I would advise on buying a real nice car, as the shipping will be the same.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hoods and trunk lids come off with 4 bolts and removing a wire harness. The quarter panel can have a patch welded in. Its all about the floor pan, that needs to be a inspected real good.

If your the feller in another country, I would advise on buying a real nice car, as the shipping will be the same.
Yes, the shipping from Miami to my country is USD 2,400.00; they are asking for the car USD 4,995.00.

·
Registered
84 Coupe w/500
5,665 Posts
I'd bet the top just needs cleaning. 25yo and only 34k miles means it sat long. Sitting outside would probably lead to a cracked dashboard and some rotted fillers. Sitting in a garage would mean dust falling on the top.

·
Registered
96 Fleetwood, 94 Fleetwood, 07 CTS, & 94 Caprice Wgn
632 Posts
Hi baldana

Love the interior on the Caddy. I live in the "rust belt" of the USA, I would not buy that car. Rust is bad news, start with a good car. There are plenty of them down south or out west in the USA and probably less money. Like Larry said the shipping adds $2500 to the cost, ship a good car. I would also try to have someone inspect the car.

Tom

·
Registered
85 FW Brougham, 68 Wildcat 'vert, 92 & 96 Roadmaster Wagons
934 Posts
I agree, get a southern car. Body parts will be difficult for you to find, so try and start off completely rust free. I've got a Georgia car and it seems to be a good balance of rust free and good interiors.

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
It's too clean to be a car that was driven much in the rust belt. It's probably worth the asking price because of the mileage and interior. But I'd want to see more pics of it before buying it site unseen and having it shipped anywhere.

That first white craigslist one screams repaint.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts