Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2003 DHS
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(I will attach photos below!)
** Sorry in advance if I’m not posting in the correct group just let me know a great place to post this to for better help possibly? I am curious after doing much research, on how I can remove the rust spots on the speaker grilles on all 4 doors of my 2003 DHS. I tried using a little bit of rust stain remover and some 0000 steel wool but it didn’t exactly help like I wanted.

I heard you could spray paint but I worry that maybe, wouldn’t that plug up the tiny holes of the speaker? Hmmm… Would I have to remove the door panel to paint the speaker grilles? Would spray painting/painting without taking off the door panel hurt or affect the sound at all?
What color would I need to get does anybody know the exact color name/shade or the link to the exact stuff I need to buy?

I would be more than appreciative to have someone list exactly what I need to purchase, what color, and If you could possibly help walk me through each step in what to do. Do I need to sand/smooth anything out, prime, etc beforehand? Please help and I do apologize ahead of time if i have confused you by the way I worded any of the questions!

I want to thank you in advance for your time and your help and I just want to say much respect to each and every single one of you guys and I hope your year has been a good one & that you’re staying happy and healthy most importantly!! ❤ I bought this off an older gentleman who purchased this Cadillac brand new and only drove it when he would go on vacation so I got lucky getting this precious gem. The only issue is he kept the car in his barn so I believe between moisture, humidity, the heat, who knows exactly but the rust spots is possibly moisture from the rain when opening the door or from the car sitting for long period of time, maybe? I don’t know but.. Here’s the photos of the issue: —-> I didn’t know if taking a pic of the info on side of the door would help or not so that’s one of the pics you see!
Shoe Automotive lighting Hood Plant Fender
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Car seat cover
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Grille Automotive tire Hood
Automotive lighting Product Hood Grille Home appliance
Tire Plant Automotive tire Gas Font

· Super Moderator
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 🙄
18,097 Posts
Moved to FWD forum from "SouthEast" club/gathering for best exposure.

Reactions: Cakefacebrit

· Registered
2003 DHS
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got Rustoleum from Wal-Mart, removed door panels, and sprayed 'em. Whole process took 1 hour
is there more than one kind of “Rustoleum”? I’m curious because I have the same issue on all 4 speaker grilles in my Cadillac. Is Rustoleum colored? I need help figuring out how to pretty much do what you did for yours! Any help and tips would be very much appreciated and if you could send me a link to the exact stuff you used. Possibly? Thanks so much friend!!

· Administrator
2002 F55 STS, 2014 Explorer XLT, F-150
79,903 Posts
Looks like a trip through www.car-part.com and www.cadillacheaven.com is in order.

Subscribe the car to a multi-year deal at www.alldatadiy.com - it's the online GM/Cadillac/Helm service manuals and will have the door panel removal procedures. You might - might - also find an original HelmInc. paper service manual set on eBay. You'll need them twice a week as long as you own the car.

EDIT: Your last post has been moved here from a long-dead hijacked thread. "Rustoleum" is an extensive line of paints, spray cans, rust treatments fond at most hardware stores, Lowe's, Home Depot worldwide. You pick and choose.
The member whom you quoted has not logged in for over 6.5 years.

· Registered
2001 Eldorado 2008 DTS 2005 XLR 95 Eldo'11CTS-V,'66 corvair.'03 deville,'00 deville
2,410 Posts
I've got the same problem on my STS... been a low priority.
I'd simply mask around the grille and shot it with some Rustolium.

...though I think you my have the rare artwork of one of the Art & Colour group of GM.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.