Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Escalade
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2007 Escalade and i am not very happy with the rust protection of that truck. While the sheet metall parts of doors, fenders and side panels seemed to be zink coated, showing a good rust protection, the underbody of the car, especially the frame shows significantly amount of rust and corrosion. The frame has some kind of rubber like coat. However, that coating peels off since day one i owned the truck. Reapplying seems to be difficult. And just spraying some kind of the same material on top of a rusty surface would not solve the problem...

Does the 2015++ Escalade has better rust protection on the underbody? Did Cadillac address this issue, as it seems to be a common problem on the SUV.

In my opinion a zink coated frame should be "state of the art" today, like alle competitors use that kind of protection agains corrosion. If zink coating is not on Cadillacs to do list on the new generation Escalade, would they consider at least a good rust proof paint job on the frame?

I really do not understand why my 1997 C5 Corvette has a rust free frame, because of zink coated and painted parts, while my 07 Escalade shows a ton of rust on all parts of the frame....

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,710 Posts
The body of the cadillac is zinc coated but the ladder frame may be zinc coated but looks like from a different supplier or non-factory.

·
Registered
Escalade
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks. The frame from a gen 3 Cadillac has no zinc coating. This one on the picture above is the OEM frame from the factory.

·
Registered
Escalade
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyone has an idea or detailed tech info on the rust protection on the new, 2015++ Escalade?

Or maybe someone can make a view photos from the frame and underbody parts? I would appreciate!

Thanks,

Jochen

·
Registered
Escalade
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am not getting tired of asking:

I am very interested in some pictures from the frame of a 2015 Escalade that was driven on salty streets the last winter. Maybe someone can take a few shots?
I know, it is quite early to make any prognosis on how rust protection would work, or not, on such a new car. However, it would be great to see some pictures now and maybe in a year or two. That would give us an estimate if the problem was addressed by Cadillac....

Thanks!

Jochen

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,710 Posts
I live in the south and just before buying a property up north, I decided to have my local dealer do an undercoating of the underbody. After looking at it, I felt that it didn't need extra protection. The whole SUV body is dipped and rustproofed already.

·
Registered
Escalade
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
evois, are you talking about the new, 2015 Modell?

I havent seen any thrid gen. Escalade that is driven on salty roads without huge amount of rust on the frame. Many pics here in the forum though... mine included...

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,710 Posts
Jochen said:
evois, are you talking about the new, 2015 Modell? I havent seen any thrid gen. Escalade that is driven on salty roads without huge amount of rust on the frame. Many pics here in the forum though... mine included...
I had the 2009 escalade hybrid and drove it in snow. No problems when I traded it for the new 2015i platinum. The hybrid had 195k miles when I traded it.

·
Registered
Escalade
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think thats the point. Most people drive their Escalades, or other cars, only for 3 or 4 years and then trade them in for a new one - and most of them never crawl below their cars and do their own work on it.... I am driving my vehicles for a much longer period of time and sometimes plan to keep them forever, like my 97 Z51 C5 or my 2012 Corvette Grand Sport Centennial Edition. And i do 99% of the work by myself at my cars. So i can tell the difference.

When i bought my Escalade, i acctually thought i would keep it for a very long time. But because of the rust issues i, and many other owners have, dont think this truck would last as long as my 97 C5.

That is the reason why i opened this topic. I might get rid of my 2007 Escalade. However, if the 2015+ Modell is having the same rust issues, i will for shure not go the Cadillac way again. As much as i like the design, inside and outside, of that truck... i am not willing to sacrifice long term reliability on the frame structure. On the last technical inspection i had to do at the German TUV, the inspector mentioned the high amount of rust on that Cadillacs - not only my specific car... and again: THAT is not exeptable on a 90K US$ Truck, and that is the reason why i am doing my homework NOW, trying to find out if the new Modell has the same issues.

I had long talks and Email exchange with Cadillac Europe. Basically they dont care about that issues...

Jochen

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,710 Posts
I wash the underbody regularly in an automatic car wash when it warms up or if I get the chance. The only rust I see are in the exposed metals of the frame but not the escalade body.

·
Registered
2009 AWD Escalade Ultra Luxury Raven Black
1,800 Posts
No rust at all on the under body of my truck. The frame has some rust spots where it was raised on a hoist. I will take car of that with a wire brush and undercoating. I also live in salt belt Illinois.

·
Registered
Escalade
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That is what i am talking about. The frame. I dont worry for rust on sheet metall parts, like fender, doors or underbody cover sheets. This rust is just a cosmetical issue. Static body parts, like frame rails are a pita to replace and very critical for TUV inspection. Extensive rust on those parts will be a no go to pass inspection.... I see people boxing frame rails on a 6 year old truck..... I dont want to end up there...

Thanks!

·
Registered
Escalade ESV
391 Posts
I am confused...I have driven cars with the frame almost gone, but they pass inspection. Where do you live that frame rust is an inspection criteria?

Most modern cars are "unitized", meaning they have no frame at all, but rather use the body panel configuration to support the structure. All bodies are galvanized, so a unitized car has little or no rust underneath.

Every truck I have ever owned has little or no paint on the frame. Because REAL frames are thick gage steel, the surface rust protects the inner metal, so it will last several decades before it rusts all the way through. The trucks I mention above that were rusted out were over 50 years old, and were abused by allowing the tires to go flat and the frames sat in mud puddles for 30 years. In normal use, surface rust on a frame will never be an issue.

·
Registered
Escalade ESV
391 Posts
Germany.

German TUV will definitally take the trucks you mentioned from legal roads.
Well then...I bet the Escalade frame is heavier gage than anything designed on that side of the pond! Trust me, the frame will outlast the rest of the car.

·
Registered
2013 Porsche Boxster S, 2011 Range Rover Super Charged
677 Posts
Germany.

German TUV will definitally take the trucks you mentioned from legal roads.
Now I understand where you are coming from. German standards in all things but in this case auto manufacturing are light years ahead of American standards. I have quite a few friends from Germany and I try to vacation there every year or so. Germany actually cares that its roads are safe for all it's drivers. They are very stringent and rightfully so. Vehicles can become weapons. I understand and I agree with the point you are making...

·
Registered
2013 Porsche Boxster S, 2011 Range Rover Super Charged
677 Posts
Jochen you may find this interesting. Granted some folks don't know how to take care of cars. But I was born up North and was into lowriding and customizing old Chevrolets for years and I have never ever seen anything that looked this bad.

·
Registered
Escalade
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Great Video, thanks!

This is how most early Escalades might look like when driven on salty roads. I am running the german cadillacforum ( www.cadillacforum.de ) and know a few guys with Escalades on this site of the ocean. There is not such a thing like a rust free Escalade frame. The guy in the Video mentioned a few interesting things, like when buying a new truck, have it coated underneeth. Well, in the Escalade case, that is not as easy as it seems. The factory applied coating is a joke. The frame (bare metall, no painting) is covered with the rubber like glitch, which is peeling of fast. as soon as that stuffs comes of the frame, corrosion is developing fast. The only way to make that frame safe is to get rid of that rubber stuff, apply a good rust base primer that is transforming rust into an epoxy layer, and after that have it coated with a good underbody protection.... Invest another 2000US$ estimated, to do the work they should have done at the factory....

Again: I love that truck. Great ride, wonderfull, masculine look, comfortable ride.... but when all that is founded on a rusty base, it just sets the fun back a bit... and i just dont understand why they lack there...

The rusted brake lines on the Escalade in the Video could already be a no go to pass inspection on german TUV. Fortunatelly my brake lines look as good as new. They are black painted and dont show any signs of corrosion.

·
Registered
Escalade ESV
391 Posts
As I study the video...I still see the frame as surface rust, whereas the other rust is significant. That car is going to lose brakes, electrical system, and fuel system long before the frame becomes a structural problem. The Ford/Lincoln trucks only use a grease coating on their frames. This is pretty standard practice with truck frames here in the US. But again, they are heavy gage steel and will be the last thing you have to worry about.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts