Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Am I tilting at windmills?

• Yup! Give it up! They will never pay.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I've had similar problems with GM and they are a tough nut to crack.

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Go for it, they may reconsider.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • There is a legitimate complaint here....a three year old Cadillac should not rust!

Votes: 6 85.7%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have created two web sites, one of which I will be sending to as many dealers as possible in the next few weeks (Cadillac, Lexus, BMW etc.). Any input as to which website might better serve my purpose would be appreciated. The second site is smaller and less personal (more professional?).

I am trying to make as many people aware of the problem I am having with my three year old Cadillac as possible. I would like to get some e-mail addresses for the people at the Cadillac plant in Hamtramck if anyone can help me (confidentially of course). Any other suggestions as to who else I should make aware of this?

Here are the two sites:

http://www.geocities.com/myrusty2000cadillacsts/

http://www.geocities.com/rustproblemscadillacsts/

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
I like the first one better.....

I would talk to Kevin (katshot) and see what he could do for you......

·
Registered
16,105 Posts
I am confused, I have a 1980 Pontiac with 250,000 kms and NO rust! It is driven every winter through the worst salt immaginable! How often do you flush it, or wand wash it in the winter? I see a lot of people at the car wash, and they NEVER go under the car, they just do the paint and tires. A car can rust from the inside-out as well. I am concerned that you never flushed the car enough, thinking warrenty would fix anything? That may be seen as neglect by GM? I am not criticizing you, I don't know the entire situation, but I also have the original exhaust pipe, minus the muffler also!

Have your doors or fenders or ? received any dings or damage, because any paint chips or scratches increase the chances for rust to settle?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought this car off lease. According to the dealer the rust is coming from within the door cavity. I have not flushed the door cavities on any of the cars I have owned. If there is a way to do that please let us know. In any case I think three years is way too early for a Cadillac to start rusting.

I would think that genearally speaking if someone leases a Cadillac they do it for their business and even if for personal use they would pay the high lease rates for the prestige. There isn't much prestige in driving a car covered with salt. This is conjecture of course.

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
I can't see it too well in those pictures but it looks more like the sealer stuff came off and there's rust because water got behind it while it was loose.

The only way to keep cars lasting here is to either not drive them in the winter or if you have to drive them to get them oil sprayed every year. It's normal to see cars around here that are less then 10 years old with major rust problems. Some of those mid 90s looking Buick Park Avenues and LeSabres are really bad for it. Even when they were a couple years old it was normal to see them driving around with huge holes in the rocker panels or no rocker panels left at all and with rust and holes in other areas as well.

·
Registered
520 Posts
2000STS said:
I have created two web sites, one of which I will be sending to as many dealers as possible in the next few weeks (Cadillac, Lexus, BMW etc.). Any input as to which website might better serve my purpose would be appreciated. The second site is smaller and less personal (more professional?).

I am trying to make as many people aware of the problem I am having with my three year old Cadillac as possible. I would like to get some e-mail addresses for the people at the Cadillac plant in Hamtramck if anyone can help me (confidentially of course). Any other suggestions as to who else I should make aware of this?

Here are the two sites:

http://www.geocities.com/rustproblemscadillacsts/

Thanks,
Dave
I can't help you with addresses or anything like that but I can tell you what caused your problem if you'd like, just for informational purposes. I don't think everyone else would care to wade through the expaination, it's about the nature of the steel and the manufacturing process, but if you want me to PM or e-mail you let me know. This is actually something about cars that I know from the ground up.
Bob

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bob2231 said:
I can't help you with addresses or anything like that but I can tell you what caused your problem if you'd like, just for informational purposes. I don't think everyone else would care to wade through the expaination, it's about the nature of the steel and the manufacturing process, but if you want me to PM or e-mail you let me know. This is actually something about cars that I know from the ground up.
Bob
That would be appreciated Bob. My e-mail is [email protected]. Thank you.

·
...Reloaded
1,698 Posts
Hey Bob - we are planning on expanding our "Technical Article" section, so if you'd like you're more than welcome to submit your explanation to me or Sal for possible inclusion. This would be on a page separate from the Forums here <--Link.

·
Registered
520 Posts
the Sandman said:
Hey Bob - we are planning on expanding our "Technical Article" section, so if you'd like you're more than welcome to submit your explanation to me or Sal for possible inclusion. This would be on a page separate from the Forums here <--Link.
I'd be happy to, though I'll warn you it's boring. My problem is that even though I built my computer, that doesn't mean I know how to use it. Example: I don't know how to add links or things like that. Do I write it here, and you guys take it? or should I PM it to you ? Remember, me total experience with forums has been here the last few weeks.
Bob

·
...Reloaded
1,698 Posts
Adding links is easy - you use the vB code like this:

{url=www.cadillacforums.com}Text to act as link (or even an image can be the link!){/url}

NOTE: Remember to use the regular brackets [ and ] instead of { and }. I only used the curvy brackets so the program would ignore them instead of actually making the link. And no spaces in the brackets - any spaces will break the code.

There's more instructions and a list of all the current vB code on the system here.

As far as getting the article to us, a PM will be fine unless it's too long. In that case put it in a post or email it to Sal.

·
Registered
520 Posts
the Sandman said:
Adding links is easy - you use the vB code like this:

{url=www.cadillacforums.com}Text to act as link (or even an image can be the link!){/url}

NOTE: Remember to use the regular brackets [ and ] instead of { and }. I only used the curvy brackets so the program would ignore them instead of actually making the link. And no spaces in the brackets - any spaces will break the code.

There's more instructions and a list of all the current vB code on the system here.

As far as getting the article to us, a PM will be fine unless it's too long. In that case put it in a post or email it to Sal.
I'm going to try this by starting a new thread here. I hope that works.That way all the info will be there for you guys to decide if and where it should be included.
Bob

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ralph said:
What about the drain holes at the bottom of the doors? Are they plugged?
Ralph,

The car is in the shop now so I can't check that.

I did check the corner where the rust is last week and there are no holes (the photos on my site aren't perfect but I don't see any there). I pointed that out to the dealer on the phone when he told me the corrosion started in the door cavity. He said that the drain hole is at the front corner of the door. He had the car at that point so I couldn't check those holes.

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
520 Posts
Dave you already know this, but for anyone else interested. The rust was in the steel long ago. The problem was accelerated by the stress involved in roll forming and stamping the door . You have to keep in mind people that the new car you buy tomorrow was someone else's new car years ago. And recycling is old enough now that some of the raw stock currently being smelted is not even on it's 2nd go round. Try fifth or 6th.
Bob

·
Registered
135 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problem and I hope you can get it resolved. I am by no means defending your cars problem, but from my experince with cars from your area, is that rust is just the nature of the area. I know cars should have some level of rust/corresion protection, but mother nature is the biggest female dog that lives.

A good friend lives in Winnipeg and he complains about rust all the time. He has a winter beater that is a rust bucket and never takes his nice cars out until that winter mess is cleaned up. His beater is a nissan pickup and it makes your cadillac look like it rolled off the showroom floor. Its so rusted that he takes a hammer to the frame to knock off some of the past years damage in flakes that he sweeps up into a bucket. You expose any car to those harsh conditions and I am certain they all will rust on any of the metal areas.

I am almost certian had you bought that honda, you would be experiencing the same issue in some level. A honda is metal and it is definatly will rust too. To win your argument with Cadillac, you would have to prove that cadillac of the same year, mileage, etc, driven in the exact same poor climate condtions rusted faster than a honda or other makes... From a logical point of view, this is going to be a tough road and possibly in vain..... I might feel different if I were in your shoes, but I simply never expose my nice cars to these condions and I even have a beater where I live.

I can agree with you complaining about rattles and minor issues like the fact a Northstar water pump never makes it past 70K, probably by design, but as a comparison anology, if I parked my STS in a walmart parking lot 5 days a week, I would probably have more dings and craters in it than a shot up country road sign, as the sides of these cars ar easy targets and once dented they look like hell...... I dont think cadillac would help me with the poor quality unprotected sides of my cars against wal-marts finest opening their doors on it with no regard. Its simply not the cars fault....

I think you are possibly just putting the car through extreme conditions in salted, slush and messy roads.. Possibly your efforsts would be better rewarded should you just fix/replace your doors on your STS and get it to where you like it again, then nvest 1500 or so in a good reliable winter beater.... You will appreciate your STS in nice weather!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Well my 02 on it is if you really want to get to Caddy, GM whomever, you need to buy a domain name for the website instead of the geocities, give a more serious meaning IMO. Shows your serious enough about this to PAY (7.95 at godaddy.com) for your own domain.

I saw a while back a site called walmartsucks.com and boy did it get some traffic and got walmarts attention...

rustystscadillac.com / rusty3yearoldcadillac.com / rustedcadillacsts.com

I would try to keep the name cadillac in the domain name. It should help as far as search engines picking it up.

I think you have a valid issue and wish you the best with it. I know I would be STEAMING :mad:

Keep us all posted.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
wont the warranty cover it?? i mean the cars is almost brand new...ive NEVER in my life seen a car that new start to rust. In fact i have a 91 lincoln towncar...110,000 miles, parked outside for about 3 years and driven in the winter and never did i have a problem with rust.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Realtor 1,

Thanks for the ideas. I have signed up with Geocities for my own domain at www.cadillacsucks.net (cadillacsucks.com was gone-lol).

It could take some time to get the domain up and running.

Dave

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Caddy Man,

I have 95,000km (59,000m) on the car. Here in Canada they cover 80,000 km (50,000m) four years. This is any corrosion at these limits. The limits are 160,000km and 6 years for rust through (an actual hole in the metal-from the inside surface of the metal to the outside).

The GM dealer (body shop manager) tells me the corrosion started between the door skins...in the cavity...I can't, for the life of me, see how the mileage on the car would have any impact on that but thems the rules I guess.

It would seem GM is not at all surprised to see this level of corrosion on their vehicles. At least not surprised enough to do something about it.

Dave

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
9 Participants
2000STS