Just wondering for those driving in cold salty climate if rust is an issue?
Is rust crown proofing worth it?
I read this... I quote, no clue if it's true.
This car was an engineering exercise, the Blackwing powertrain was secondary, the most important thing about this car was that the thing was 64% made of aluminum and the other 36% was hybrid steels. Everything outward facing, all the body panels, all the structure of the unibody that faces the road and was prone to corrosion was aluminum, the few structural beams that required them to make them out of steel were inside the cabin, hence what they built was a Caddy that was never going to rust, which living in Atlantic Canada is why I'm trying very hard to find one of these, not necessarily the Blackwing edition, just any CT6, I narrowly missed one with the 3.0L TT just last month, some person beat me too it. With proper maintenance the CT6 has the potential to last forever if you live anywhere where rust is an issue, just don't crash it, getting bodywork done is still a pain with the aluminum, not all shops are up on fixing it yet.
I think they've paid more attention to corrosion protection than in the past, but I don't think a rust-proof car has yet hit the streets. Take a look at my Underbody Pics thread and you can see there are not nearly as many uncoated stamped steel components underneath as you'd find in an older (or lesser) vehicle.
I'm assuming a lot of commonality with the other CT6 trim levels. These pics are for anyone who hasn't had a chance to jump under the car when it's in the air. Starting from the rear and walking forward... 1) Rear view of the exhaust, rear steering actuator, differential and fuel tank. Note...