Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Deville Limited Edition
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, details

Car = Seville 1999 (STS)

The car has some rust now. The car is still in good shape, but I want to extend the life of the car before it gets too bad.

There are two places.

Rear pasenger side behind the rear wheel just above the plastic trim there are some paint bubbles, some of the paint has flaked off and now rust has started to set in.

The second place is the area around the fuel filler, when you open the fuel flap to put fuel in you can see where the paint has again bubbled and there is a lot of rust here. I also noticed that the drain hole in this area is not in the 'ideal place' to allow rain water to drain away.

Whats the best way to fix these, should I take it to a body shop and get them to deal with it and put in an insurance claim as I have full coverage on the car ?

I know the passenger side is going to cost around $600.00 at a body shop.
Not sure about the fuel area.

Has anyone else got this problem with rust in the fuel filler area ? How did you fix it / get it fixed ?

I look forward to all replies / help with this.

·
Registered
1998 Eldorado. Northstar "Y" code
28 Posts
Possibly a dumb question here, but your full coverage insurance covers rust issues? Never heard of such a thing.
Or has the car been rustproofed and have a guarantee from that provider?

·
Registered
2005 Deville Limited Edition
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, lets see.

I lived in the UK, and if you have full cover you can get repairs done and the insurance will pay.

Now that I live in the US, I am not sure if repairs are covered like this with full cover, hence the question in the first place.

·
Registered
1998 Eldorado. Northstar "Y" code
28 Posts
Well, lets see.

I lived in the UK, and if you have full cover you can get repairs done and the insurance will pay.

Now that I live in the US, I am not sure if repairs are covered like this with full cover, hence the question in the first place.
Contact with your insurance agent is probably in order to verify what is or is not covered. Rust damage is something not covered in most standard policies (even full coverage) in this country that I've heard of.
But I've been mistaken before. :confused:

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
Rust is not covered by any insurance policy I know of. It isn't accidental damage or vandalism.

If your seeing bubbles under the paint and it's chipping off, it's not simple surface rust, it's rot,(perforation) and there's most likely more nearby that hasn't bubbled the paint yet. The correct way to repair it (besides replacing the entire panel) is to cut out the affected metal and weld in new. (a patch panel if available or one cut from a rust free car) sanding down the rust and covering it with body filler isn't the way to go. It'll come back fairly quickly.

There is a product called por-15 that is very effective at preventing rust, and stopping light rust, but it's better used in hidden area, it's a black coating. If you want the car to look right, and stay that way, a good body shop, that knows how to deal with rust correctly, is your best bet.

·
Registered
2002 STS/ 1994 STS
229 Posts
If you are seeing rust damage like that ,I'd looking a lot closer at the whole car. These cars just don't have a rust problem, unless it has been heavily neglected.

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
No insurance company is going to cover rust. Cars rust there's nothing you can do about it.
Both those areas you have rust are normal. When the paint is bubbled there's already rust behind it. You can fix it yourself but if you want it looking perfect you'll need to see a body shop. But if you're going to do that you should really get someone to look over the car to see if it's worth spending the money on or if it has more rust problems you can't see.
You don't have to get into cutting out the metal. If it's surface rust it can be cleaned up and will never be a problem again. If it's rotted through from the other side it'll come back eventually but when depends on how good of a job they do fixing it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts