Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this an okay alternative to all four? My dealer's tire dept. does this unless all four are requested. I'd be able to save a few $$, but the front tires would wear out at a different rate than the stock rears (obviously).

At any rate, I'd probably go with all four, but was just wondering if there is a serious performance advantage b/t running two and four snow tires.

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac CTS VSport
2,318 Posts
I am no tire expert but I do know that cars in general are supposed to be running 4 of the same tires with the same thread patterns. The wear issue is probably the most important issue and it could eventually cause traction issues when one wheel will be spinning faster than another because the tire diameter will be different because of the wear.

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
Chuck C said:
Is this an okay alternative to all four? My dealer's tire dept. does this unless all four are requested. I'd be able to save a few $$, but the front tires would wear out at a different rate than the stock rears (obviously).

At any rate, I'd probably go with all four, but was just wondering if there is a serious performance advantage b/t running two and four snow tires.
Chuck,
Anything you can do to increase grip is worth while. The current trend is snows on all four corners. I makes good sense to me and 4 is the choice I made. I new designs look a lot like regular treads and are very quiet. I went with Pirellis from the Tire Rack online store.

·
Registered
2005 CTS
214 Posts
Be careful with running just two snow tires.

On a snowy commute several years ago, I saw a young lady pay for such a mistake. It was an Acura Integra with Blizzaks on the front and all-seasons on the rear.

We were on a 4 lane highway in moderate snow. The road was white. I was in my car (with 4 snows) about 5 car-lengths behind. While doing about 35, someone cut her off. As soon as she touched the brakes, the rear tires broke free and she spun. In the process of coming to a halt, she hit every side of the car on either the center or outside Jersey barrier. Every panel was bent. I managed to stop straight with room to spare.

Luckily, no one was hurt. But I remember this as a vivid reminder of the importance of equal traction at all 4 corners. Stabilitrack and abs don't magically create more grip. They only optimize what is already available.

I'll drive my truck this winter, and buy 4 snows on rims in time for next year.

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac CTS VSport
2,318 Posts
Here is a quote from Tirerack in regard to mixing:

"Choosing alternative tires, should only be considered as a temporary solution in an emergency situation. Using alternative tires from different tire performance categories, with alternate sizes or different speed ratings can unbalance the vehicle's handling in poor weather or when pushed to the limit in an emergency.

Because tires play such an important role in every vehicle's comfort qualities and handling capabilities, it is always best to drive on tires that are identical in every detail, including tire brand, model, size and remaining tread depth. Anything else involves some type of compromise. "

I would have to agree.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Just wondering about the winter tire situation. A few of you are from Ohio I noticed, but I'm not too familiar with the winter weather conditions there. I'm in Calgary, we have some pretty nasty winters with a few feet of snow and ice. Is the CTS bad to drive in the winter? I drove my C320 last winter but bought another set of 17's and mounted 4 Alpine performance winter tires, only because the factory tires were Z rated summers. My CTS has all seasons and weighs alot more than the c-class, so do you think its neccessary to get a set of winters for the CTS, or will it make it by without?

I drove the Caddy today with its 20's still on in about 6 inches of snow...it did OK.... I just don't know if I can bring myself to buy another set of tires for the car, especially since the factory's have less than 1,000kms on them.

·
Registered
73 Posts
haute_heir said:
Just wondering about the winter tire situation. A few of you are from Ohio I noticed, but I'm not too familiar with the winter weather conditions there. I'm in Calgary, we have some pretty nasty winters with a few feet of snow and ice. Is the CTS bad to drive in the winter? I drove my C320 last winter but bought another set of 17's and mounted 4 Alpine performance winter tires, only because the factory tires were Z rated summers. My CTS has all seasons and weighs alot more than the c-class, so do you think its neccessary to get a set of winters for the CTS, or will it make it by without?

I drove the Caddy today with its 20's still on in about 6 inches of snow...it did OK.... I just don't know if I can bring myself to buy another set of tires for the car, especially since the factory's have less than 1,000kms on them.
I drove the same roads this morning. I put 4 Hankook Icebear 16" on mine for the winter. They work well. The cost for me was about $700 Cdn. I figure one fender-bender usually costs $1,000 at the very least. Cheap insurance, and prolongs the life of my performance summer tires. :eek:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Budster said:
I drove the same roads this morning. I put 4 Hankook Icebear 16" on mine for the winter. They work well. The cost for me was about $700 Cdn.
Did you buy steel wheels (those black ones) or did you mount them on the factory rims?
I need winter tires after today friggin' scary drive in Calgary. (rear wheel drive don't shine on ice and snow conditions).. Where did you buy your tires?

Thanks
-Gaspar

·
Registered
73 Posts
Gaspar said:
Did you buy steel wheels (those black ones) or did you mount them on the factory rims?
I need winter tires after today friggin' scary drive in Calgary. (rear wheel drive don't shine on ice and snow conditions).. Where did you buy your tires?

Thanks
-Gaspar
I'm running them on the 16" factory rims. I'll mount 18"ers in the Spring.

Bought 'em at "Big O" Tire, near Chinook. Best price I could find - better deal than mail-order.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Budster said:
Bought 'em at "Big O" Tire, near Chinook. Best price I could find - better deal than mail-order.
Do you mind if I ask how much for each tire?
tiretrends have them for $143.94 + $11.50 s/h (each) x4= $665 Incl GST
(http://www.tiretrends.com/tire_info.php3?detailID=11476)

When you say $700 that included balancing, mounted, valve, etc...?

Thanks
Gaspar

·
Registered
73 Posts
Gaspar said:
Do you mind if I ask how much for each tire?
tiretrends have them for $143.94 + $11.50 s/h (each) x4= $665 Incl GST
(http://www.tiretrends.com/tire_info.php3?detailID=11476)

When you say $700 that included balancing, mounted, valve, etc...?

Thanks
Gaspar
Yes, it included everything. I added in the cost of mounting/balancing/etc locally and the $700 price was less (actually it was six ninety-something). Plus they have their own warranty so it's easy to get flat repair, etc. This is the 2nd set of tires I've bought at Big-O. They've been good to deal with.

I always price-check with Tiretrends and www.1010tires.com. Lots of reviews on the different tires there as well.

The CTS ran very well on our snow/ice yesterday morning. I noted slippage at one point when I was a bit heavy on the throttle, but it was quick to get back under control. The Icebear is an excellent winter tire. It's V-rated, and quiet on dry roads for a snow tire. It's far better than the oem RS-A in the rain.

I've run Kumho KW17s and Michelin Arctic Alpins in the past. The Icebear is definitely better than the Alpins, and comparable to the Kumho.

·
Registered
87 Posts
RobertCTS said:
Chuck,
Anything you can do to increase grip is worth while. The current trend is snows on all four corners. I makes good sense to me and 4 is the choice I made. I new designs look a lot like regular treads and are very quiet. I went with Pirellis from the Tire Rack online store.
Which Pirelli? I went with the P-Zero Nero M+S from the Tirerack.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Budster said:
I'm running them on the 16" factory rims. I'll mount 18"ers in the Spring.

So you really think the factory 16's with factory rubber (less than 1000k's) are no good for our winter? I hope you didn't think I was asking whether or not to leave my 20's on, cuz those are comming off this weekend.

Thanks for referencing a good tire shop. I thought I was the only lonely soul in Calgary!! Appears to be more of us canadains than i thought!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Budster said:
Yes, it included everything. I added in the cost of mounting/balancing/etc locally and the $700 price was less (actually it was six ninety-something). Plus they have their own warranty so it's easy to get flat repair, etc. This is the 2nd set of tires I've bought at Big-O. They've been good to deal with.

I always price-check with Tiretrends and www.1010tires.com. Lots of reviews on the different tires there as well.

The CTS ran very well on our snow/ice yesterday morning. I noted slippage at one point when I was a bit heavy on the throttle, but it was quick to get back under control. The Icebear is an excellent winter tire. It's V-rated, and quiet on dry roads for a snow tire. It's far better than the oem RS-A in the rain.

I've run Kumho KW17s and Michelin Arctic Alpins in the past. The Icebear is definitely better than the Alpins, and comparable to the Kumho.
SO you think Icebear is a better tire then KW 17?
I was look at some 17" snows and Icebear is about $30 cheaper a tire.
Drives me crazy looking at the price on tirerack and compared to tiretends

·
Registered
73 Posts
They are quite comparable. The added benefits to the Icebear are:

"V" rating for higher speeds
Quieter on dry roads
Cornering feels better on dry roads

My time with the Icebear on snow/ice is limited to one bad morning so far. I spent 2 winters with the KW17. Both are highly rated and I wouldn't hesitate to get the Kumhos again. But I got a better deal on the Icebear and thought I'd give them a try. So far I'm not disappointed.

I know what you mean about price-shopping. Tire Rack has the rims I want to get for the Spring. I know I won't find anything comparable here for the same price.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Having snows on all four wheels is obviously the preferred method, but years ago, everyone just put them on the drive wheels. I had a 1977 Pont Trans am, for example, that I drove winters with snows on the rear only. The same with an 81 Honda Prelude, with snows on the front only. I never encountered any handling problems, and was able to get through the Wisconsin snow storms without a problem.

Putting snows on all four was never mentioned back then. I'm not sure when the change ocuured.

·
Registered
2004 CTS 3.2 & 2014 ATS 2.0T
94 Posts
Back to the original question, another reason to not put winters on the fronts as well is while you will have more traction with the back, the front wheels which do the steering will still have reduced traction compared to running winters on all 4 corners.

I'm looking for winters right now, Knew of a pretty good deal on Dunlops (M3s I think) but the place I was going to get them are now all out, (my geuss is the guy was lying)... The search continues, from reading from other posts it seems the ratings are as follows, am I correct?

1. Hankook Ice Bear, Kumho KW
3 Dunlop M3, Pirelli P-Zero
5 Michelin Pilot, Yokohama Winter AVS
7 Bridgestone Blizzaks, X-Ice

And to summarize what to look for, ensure the tires have the Snowflake (meaning winter, not snow/mud, all-season etc), and look for H-rated so the tires still feel good on pavement... Sound right, any other advice?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts