Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2002 SLS, 2005 CTS Sport & Luxury Pack.
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an 02 SLS and installed a cold air intake. After about 2 days I am getting a CEL with a code for running rich. Could this be an o2 sensor problem?

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,547 Posts
If you looked closely you'd see that you already have a factory installed CAI. It also draws intake air over the PCM to cool it. Not sure what you installed, but it's probably more detrimental than beneficial.

Pull the DTC's and post the code definition. Also check for a leaky FPR.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The factory system does get cold air fed to it but it goes through a large box and it has a large sound baffle on the hose. Cadillac does it this way to keep it quiet. The large box and baffle create alot of turbulance which prevents the air to travel freely. I did away with the box and baffle and added an allum. tube along with a cone filter. This makes the air move much smoother.

·
Registered
'99 Eldorado 77,000 miles
291 Posts
Sounds like me when I first got my car and thought I'd make a CAI.

Basically, if you're pulling air from under the hood, you're now getting HOTTER air for your engine. That means you may be getting slightly better gas mileage, but worse performance. The metal tube is definitely not helping you any unless you've got it insulated. You might even be getting LESS air, depending on how you built the thing.

Tell me, are you also pulling P0101? Or have you disconnected your IAT sensor (thus pulling P0113)? Your CAI is not doing you any favors. If you're bent on making your own, I'd run it down outside of the engine compartment, in front of the radiator, on the cool side of the car...

As Ranger said... the stock box is adequate enough for our engines... Doesn't mean you can't improve it, but just a 'rice' style mod isn't going to cut it.

Also as he said, the stock system cools your PCM. If you're going to remove the airflow from the PCM, you need to think of a new way to protect it from heat. A lot of cars have them insulated and pushed into the corner of the compartment, which works just fine.

That said, :welcome: welcome aboard! And we aren't here to bash you. It's just very common to hear this and it gets old. I got the same treatment several months ago, and I'm glad for it. Read through the technical forums on our engine- it'll save you a lot of time and anxiety over looking for ways to get more power...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The CAI that I installed was made for the 02 northstar. The filter does extend to the cold air inlet in the corner of the compartment. The MAF is stock and I presume the AIT is connected to it. There are no other places for it to be located, even on the stock system. I left the front part of the box on so some cold air can still make it to the ECM. Everything was fine for a couple of days with all types of driving.

·
Registered
2005 White Diamond STS N* 1SF RWD ACC/HUD
2,052 Posts
All of the "low-hanging fruit" was already picked by the GM engineers. The only improvement that can be bought for the stock setup is the Corsa catback exhaust, and that is a mild improvement at best. The CAI that was "made for the 02 Northstar" is really only generating income for the designer of it...not improving the car's performance.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Engineers ALWAYS go for low sound/noise over air flow even at the cost of a couple of horsepower or so.

·
Registered
291 Posts
:horse:

I'll leave this to submariner or Ranger... If they even want to start in with it. But chazglenn is basically right. There is very little you can do to improve the performance of our engines without spending a lot of $$$. And the air induction system is one of them.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One example is the 5.0 Mustang. It had only 225 hp stock, The engineers tried to tweek it all they could for extra hp. They kept the stock box becauase of db levels. A dyno test was done with the box removed and CAI added. There was a 5 hp gain. Nothing to sneeze at. This has been done with many other high performance cars with equal or better results and up to 2 tenths in the 1/4 mile.

·
Registered
'03 STS 122K, '01 STS 161K - 3/3/11
671 Posts
And thats what makes it a mustang vs a Cadillac. Engineers can make an intake that is quiet and still flows more than enough. Do the math or dont, its still a fact, the N* intake is plenty adequate for a 4.6 at 6500 rpm.

Leave the CAI on there and keep trying to fix it. When you get tired of that, spend some time searching and see how many people have tried CAI on a seville and went back to the stock intake.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Our cars are NOT mustangs and are most definitely not of the same caliber of 'high performance'... Do yourself a favor and do a search for CAI on here. Just read through the many countless stories and threads on modding the intake system. You aren't the first to try it, by far. And very few have found success, and they are the ones that really spend time on it and don't just put an aluminum, shiny pipe with a colored cone filter under the hood.

Not saying it can't be done, but you can't just buy into all the sales pitches. That's how you end up blowing money on electric turbos, tornadoes, and snake oils...

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")
6,405 Posts
Blackcaddycts I don’t want to bash you but you got to understand where we are coming from:
This is the typical introduction post for a new member:
“Hey guys I just bought an Cadillac STS/Eldorado few weeks ago”, eventually brags for the great deal he got it for then … “and I installed a quality Cold Air Intake” (obviously the best one ever made) … “and now I am faster than every car in my town” my engine makes now probably around 330 HP but I got this problem…”.
Well the car might make more noise witch my sound 30HP more, but in reality it makes probably 10 less.

Cadillac is no Honda, it was designed as a complete package, what came on your car from factory is THE BEST you can ever get for that car. In a cheap car aftermarket might be better quality, in a Cadillac aftermarket means bad quality (is all relative).
You got a wonderful car don’t ruin-it!
And yeah: WELL COME! :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I understand what everybody is saying. I do understand the CADILLAC experience. My wife has an 05 CTS w/Luxury & Sport Package and of course my new/old 02 Seville SLS. I am not looking for HUGE hp numbers but 5 hp would be OK. Thats All I am trying to do without spending $1000 for an exhaust system. I do know all those scam parts out there.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I agree, N*Caddy. It's rather funny, though... That's pretty much how I started in... BUT when your father works at the Cadillac Dealership, and the dealership owes him a favor, you do tend to get good deals. :cool2:

Heck... I wish I had kept my stock airbox... At the very least I could have used parts for my intake I've been building. I'm up over $350 at least at this point. I'm not pulling codes anymore and it sounds better (big whoop...). I can hope I've been able to increase HP and torque, but I'm not claiming it, not until I can get to a dyno at least... I'm planning on fabricating an 'air-ram' like add-on... Even that I'm not holding out for much.

Again, we aren't trying to bash you... We're trying to help you. I was in your place when I came here. I'm no genius, so I'm still getting beaten down on occassion (especially in my boost thread).

·
Registered
'03 STS 122K, '01 STS 161K - 3/3/11
671 Posts
If it were that easy to get 5 horse, do you think guys would be throwing down $1500 for an extra 20 (at most) horse up high at WOT with a Corsa?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Price does not always equate to hp. A dyno test was done and the testers were shocked to find that synthetic oil added 5 hp.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts