Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help! I have a 1990 Seville and the fans arent working, and I need some help with what I need to check first,It just started this,Im a female and I would like to check allthe paths of why this is happening,also should the fans be turnining while it is idleling,I appreciate any help,(v-8pfi) I checked fuses! HELP PLEASE! tanya

·
Registered
2007 CTS White Diamond - 1997 Deville Silver Mist
289 Posts
Please help! I have a 1990 Seville and the fans arent working, and I need some help with what I need to check first,It just started this,Im a female and I would like to check allthe paths of why this is happening,also should the fans be turnining while it is idleling,I appreciate any help,(v-8pfi) I checked fuses! HELP PLEASE! tanya
The fans do not run all of the time. Never put your hands near the fan. They can start up unexpectedly. These are electric fans and they start when the coolant reaches a certain temperature. I believe there are 2 fans - a low speed and a high speed fan. The low speed fan generally kicks in when the coolant reaches 215 -220 degrees and the high speed kicks in around 230 degrees. I believe the fans will run all of the time with the air-conditioner on.

There's a fan relay that controls when the fans turn on and off. That's generally the problem if the fans are not working - but not always. Are you getting a "Cooling Fan Fault" message in your Driver Information Center? I would pull any trouble codes by holding "Off" and "Warmer" buttons simultaneously for about 5 seconds on your Climate Control Panel until all the displays light up. Do this with the key in the on position (the car does not have to be running). Write down the codes exactly as they appear and post them on this board.

I'm sure there are others on this board that can lead you in the right direction as well.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,987 Posts
Tanya, Richie is correct. One thing to consider however is that the fans are always on when the A/C is on. That is an easy check. Turn the A/C on and see if the fans are running as they should be. If so, they are fine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts