Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I got firestone to take back the SO-3's for full credit and the put on new F1's!!!
I have to say I much prefer these tires over the so-3's !
handling is back where it SHOULD be!!! I was only able to pull a .76 on the meter before I was loosing grip on those SO-3's. The f1's can take at least .88 before they slip a bit!!!
Yes I could do nice burn-out with the SO-3's and traction was horrible ( from a rolling full throttle punch I could practically smoke em thru 1st and into 2nd.) Now all i have is TRACTION!!!!!!!!
Actually it was kind of fun doing that but overall I prefer the handling aspect of this car to straight line punch and burn so that is why I am going on record to say "I'll keep my runcraps"-LOL
Thank good for firstones 30 "ride garuantee!!!!

-Moldy out!
btw; firestone has to damage the returns and send them back to MFGR. for testing.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
hey....................... I'm finally over 200 posts.................whoppie for me-hehehehehehe

·
Registered
05 CTS-V
152 Posts
I must say that I am still somewhat disappointed with my Goodyear GSD3s; they definately break loose a lot quicker than the runcraps, although they are slightly more comfortable ridding; not sure I would do it again, while I totoally agree that it is pathetic that the runcraps last for less than 10K miles, the hadling may be worth the extra expense at least for me.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Gawd, the notion of spending ~$380 per tire every 5-10k really isn't appealing. Puts the car well into 'exotic' class for regular, in warranty operating costs :(

There's gotta be a better tire out there that won't hurt so bad and will still be as sticky. Gotta be! Till I find the right brand, I guess I'm with you, tho.

Skeeter

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I have been singing the praises of run-flats in general and the Eagle F1s in particular for quite a while. The F1 traction is spectacular and since I don't drive the car in a manner that induces wheel hop, I find the tires to be excellent performers. Now, if only they would last a little longer. In any case, it is nice to see some one else is thinking a lot like me.

·
Registered
2009 Z06 / 2013 F150 EcoBeast / 2008 Twin-Turbo Bimmer
4,860 Posts
The more sticky the tire, the lower the tread life. There's a reason F1s don't last long... :duck:

·
Registered
'04 CTS-V platinum/blk.
1,227 Posts
I am right there with all of you.............as long as I own my V, it will be wearing (no pun intended) F1 runflats. The grip these tires have is remarkable. I've always thought the "I Hate Runflats!" bandwagon was boarderline laughable.

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
13,975 Posts
StealthV said:
...lower the tread life....F1s don't last long...
No burn outs here, 14k very easy miles on F1s, and they're just about gone ... and, they're anything BUT sticky in the snow that we've had here the last couple of days. Avons going on very soon as soon as my Mille Miglias arrive.

·
Registered
18 ATS-V, 04 CTS-V, 09 CTS, 04 CTS
6,675 Posts
Never had any experience with the F1s. My car came with brand new Toyo Proxes T1Rs.

I was fooling around with the car tonight on an incline with some snow on it, learning to get the car going without rolling back or using the parking brake (my first manual car) and amazingly, the tires didn't slip or anything. Anyone have experience with these tires? HOw long will they last? I'm only gonna run them in the summer, as I have Blizaaks coming for the winter.

·
Registered
895 Posts
The performance benefits of the run flats are obvious, but so is their usefulness when it just gets cold. Forget about snow. Yes, you can buy winter run flats. At least they are not different sizes front to rear like the Porshe so you can at least rotate them.

Tire life is a joke for $330 a piece. I would consider going with runflats if I don't have to drive where it is cold or if the V is parked for the winter.

I wouldn't go with runflats if I take long distance trips though.

·
Registered
2009 Z06 / 2013 F150 EcoBeast / 2008 Twin-Turbo Bimmer
4,860 Posts
Tread life and performance are inversely proportional. One can't maximize both at the same time. The $330 isn't buying tread life, it is buying run-flat capability and extreme grip.

Working on leaving my second set of F1s on highways right now. :)

·
Registered
Lemon Law'd '05 V
1,241 Posts
Just before you guys are done with the runflats, do this:
Get a jug of VP Bite,a tire softener, and treat the F1s. I think it may just be impossible to have a street-compound tire grip better than a bald-treated F1.

Well, only if you have too much time and too little money...
-ace

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
A while back I was criticized for trying to pawn off (for near free) my ~75% tread runflats and my ~50% tread runflats (I have 10 - don't ask why)...and then I realized...they stick. When my rims are tired of the current GSD3's - I might try the F1's again. They do have a (slightly different) runflat F1 in the 275 width :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
hmmm. This may be a good thread to use to auction off my brand new, never-mounted, set of 4 replacement 245/45-18 OEM runflat supercar EMT's....

but I haven't decided for sure yet. I have about 50 miles to go on the originals before I hit the tread wear indicators (about 10,500 miles).

D

·
Registered
'04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V, '13ZL1, '12 V, '16 Z06 SC757
6,440 Posts
Nothing sticks better than F1's for the first 5,000 miles.
Nothing is scarier for the next 5,000 miles though. Cold temp's or rain the F1's are a handfull.

·
Registered
22 Posts
rand49er said:
No burn outs here, 14k very easy miles on F1s, and they're just about gone ... and, they're anything BUT sticky in the snow that we've had here the last couple of days. Avons going on very soon as soon as my Mille Miglias arrive.
What's the deal with riding in the snow? This will be my first winter with the "V" here in New Jersey. Do I keep the F1s on, or get snow tires? If I get snow tires any recommendations?

Thanks

Les:hmm:

·
Registered
Started with '04 BR V, moved on to '09 Slvr V, now '13 CRT coupe
1,957 Posts
V400HP said:
What's the deal with riding in the snow? This will be my first winter with the "V" here in New Jersey. Do I keep the F1s on, or get snow tires? If I get snow tires any recommendations?

Thanks

Les:hmm:
The F1's are evil/wicked/worthless on snow, slush, or ice and marginal on wet roads. Walk . . don't drive to your closest tire shop for snow tires if you are going to drive your V this winter. No recommendation on snow tires. I'm still trying to decide. Probably leave the V in the garage.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts