Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
R.I.P. my 2005 CTS-V with only 3k miles on it. I was driving on a dead straight freeway the day before new year's eve, around 8 pm. We've been having some crazy rainstorms up here in Northern California, and, remembering all the 'runflats are hell in wet weather' threads, I was taking it easy, keeping with the flow of the light traffic that was sharing the road with me.

One moment to the next, the car hydroplanes and does several 360's before finally blasting into the center median @ ~50 mph. Airbag deployed, of course I had my seat belt on. The car careened off the median and smashed into it again before coming to rest pointed the wrong way on the freeway. She was mostly on the shoulder, but maybe a foot of the driver's rear bumper was sticking into traffic. Being a dark road, I waited 'till Onstar got CHP coming my way and immediately lit and put down flairs on the road. Crazy, nearly got hit five or six times by careless drivers in the process. FWIW, drop a $20 on a big stack of old-fashioned flairs! Can't be beat for the $. Love ones also, teach them how to ignite them and how to lay out a pattern.

My back was too thrashed to run accross the sparsely used freeway, so I waited for CHP twenty feet behind my car in the pouring rain.

I'll post some poor-quality camera pix when I get into work tomorrow. The car was accordianed to the front wheels. Couldnt' open the trunk or start the motor. Car woldn't roll @ all. The sides are OK, the back is scuffed to hell when the CHP tried to push me out of the way with no success.

Bottom line, the F1's are every bit as lousy as people say in wet weather. I was going dead straight, not on the throttle, keepign with the flow, and a microsecond later, POW. No time to even contemplate correcting the spin. From dead straight to spinning counter-clockwise FAST @ 50 from one second to the next. Very scary.

I hope my insurance company doesn't try to screw me and 'repair' the car. It is seriously thrashed, and I can't see how it'll ever be good as new. Argh!

Pics to follow, but a bad end of '05, to be sure.

Skeeter

·
Registered
261 Posts
There have been a lot of reports on TV regarding your extreme weather, even all the way out here in New England, so it must be pretty bad. Sorry to hear your V is dead, but good to know it kept you from the same. And I appreciate the warning on the F1's. I'm considering going back to runflats, so it's good to be reminded that they suck so much.

Given your experience, would you say the V is a safe car in a crash, did it hold up well given the circumstance?

I hope 2006 is better for you and your next V.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Wow!

Sorry to hear about the accident, but at least you were able to walk away from it. Once I began using my V as a daily driver instead of a weekend car, I ditched the runflats in favor of Toyo T1Rs to get a bit more tread on the pavement. However, with the awful storms you guys in Northern CA. have been having, I'm not sure that any hi-po tire would be effective.

One note with regard to flairs: Be careful putting out flairs at accident sites. I've seen some terrible burn cases from people lighting flairs without noticing leaking gasoline at accident scenes. Reflective triangles cost more, but they won't put you in the burn center by accident.

Good luck with the repairs. I hope all goes well.

CR

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V (Thunder Grey)
1,667 Posts
Glad you made it out ok. I'm in the Sacramento area and I know that the rains have been terrible. I have had no problems so far but will take it easier in the rain. I've never heard that the EMT's were bad in the rain.
Hope your insurance company does right by you.
:(

·
Registered
2015 BMUU 335i MSport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)
25,514 Posts
Sucks about your car and the waterslide, but damned glad you are Ok, the car can be replaced.

Just out of curiosity, did Onstar contact you asking about a AB deploy or did you contact them first ?

·
Registered
CTS-V
1,621 Posts
Damn Skeeter.....I too am glad you were able to walk away. The other good thing is, it was a solo spin. You didn't clip anyone. That leaves you to worry about yourself and not what consequences you might have if someone else was involved in your spin out.

I live in Tracy which is about 45min south of Sacramento. There have been days where it is only windy here yet Sacramento is getting pounded with rain. So Sac is getting hit hard.

After my little drive back from Santa Cruz, CA on Dec. 23rd, I don't drive the V in the rain. I was on my way back going thru the Santa Cruz mountains on hwy 17 during a hard downpour. This road is a two lane road in each direction. It is a bit twisty and can be very fun if you speed. It can also be very dangerous in certain spots where the road dips, is uneven, and rain gutters next to concrete dividers can throw you off balance. This was my first drive in the rain with the new Nitto NT-555 tires. I wasn't exactly comfortable eventhough I was going 5mph over the speed limit. I had to come down in speed with the flow of traffic because of all the little streams of water going across the road. This drive gave me the indication the Nitto's are more comfortable on dry pavement.

Parker, at this point I can understand not wanting the V repaired. However, if they do consider it totalled, what do you plan to get?

·
Registered
2005 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 2009 Black CTS-V
3,570 Posts
What a damn shame. I hope things work out for you.

Skeeter said:
I hope my insurance company doesn't try to screw me and 'repair' the car. It is seriously thrashed, and I can't see how it'll ever be good as new. Argh!
FYI---it's a total "business" decision, which will break down as follows:

The insurance company will rapair the car if it's cheaper to repair the car than to "total" it. "Totaling" the car will result in a cash payment to you of an amount approximating fair market value.

I would probably look into the selling prices of similar CTS-Vs, as you will want to locate the highest price(s) you can find.

Apologies if I missed it, but what exactly happened to cause the 360s? Did you hit a turn while hydroplaning?

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Glad you are OK.

Your insurance company will do straight math. If the cost to fix it is less than 80% of book value (I am not sure which book they use these days), then it will be "repairable"; if the damage exceeds 80% of book, then they total it and write you a check.

In the days of old they used to use NADA retail value. So, if NADA on a nice '05 is $38K, then you need a little over $30K in damage to total it. Since a 2005 should be entitled to all new parts (make sure they use that in their calculations), that is not that tough to do. And make sure that their estimate includes all damage.....

·
Registered
'05 CTS-VM 51 track days in Maggied V & 82 in Atom 2 in Volt
1,690 Posts
Sorry 'bout your car, but what an E ticket ride.

It's good to see the improvement of the survivability of today's cars, much superior that just a few years back.

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V (Thunder Grey)
1,667 Posts
6104696 said:
Glad you are OK.
Your insurance company will do straight math. If the cost to fix it is less than 80% of book value (I am not sure which book they use these days), then it will be "repairable"; if the damage exceeds 80% of book, then they total it and write you a check.
In the days of old they used to use NADA retail value. So, if NADA on a nice '05 is $38K, then you need a little over $30K in damage to total it. Since a 2005 should be entitled to all new parts (make sure they use that in their calculations), that is not that tough to do. And make sure that their estimate includes all damage.....
One thing I will add, most insurance companies will allow you to pay the difference to total the car. So in the above example if the estimate comes in at $29K it will cost you $1K to total the car. Another thing is that a lot of the damage could be internal, in other words damage they can't see, or estimate for, until they tear down the car. I had this happen to me and I paid the difference and got a straight car (I damaged the frame).
Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
Owned 3 V's, now driving a Wrangler and XT5
2,574 Posts
Glad you are ok, and I know everyone will say "its just a car", but I feel your pain and it really sucks to have anything but a pristine car sitting in your driveway.

Good luck with insurance, let us know what happens.

So new 06 V in the plans?

·
Registered
2004 CTSV
1,133 Posts
Let me jump in and wish you the best in a nasty situation.
I'm glad you walked away from the accident. I hope your bad back wasn't a result of the accident.

Try to look on the bright side - "it's just metal and can be replaced"

Tony

BTW - Luckily, I have the "luxury" of having a 4x4 day driver and the garage queen (the car, not me) stays parked except in dry weather.

·
Registered
former 2005 CTS-V owner
404 Posts
Skeeter said:
The sides are OK, the back is scuffed to hell when the CHP tried to push me out of the way with no success.
If your car won't start and it was blocking a lane, especially at night, they will try to move it to the shoulder. That is because the next crash is usually worse than the first. I have personally watched people run into cars that were blocking a lane and there were no visual obstructions at all, just had their head up their arse.

I am willing to bet it is totaled. The important thing is no one was hurt. Thanks to your thread, my car is in the garage. Its pouring here. Ill take the Avalanche instead.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
1,181 Posts
Wow, I'm so sorry to hear this... You and your family being okay is what truly counts. I hope the insurance company takes good care of you.
Good Luck!!!!

·
Registered
05 CTS-V
23,162 Posts
i'm interested in pics, to compare to how bad i trashed mine.....to the tune of 25K repair bill.
what distinguishes mine from yours is you may have unibody "frame" damage, and the bags went off. I'll bet it's still repairable, and you shouldn't feel the car is "damaged goods".
It also depends what "value" they base their 80% on, they may consider your barely used 05 as new and base it on MSRP, so you'd need 40K damage to total it.
Another thing is how they determine "at fault". You'll get your premiums jacked for single-car at fault. Is hydroplaining "your fault", or "act of god"?? Watch for how they classify it.

·
Registered
04CTSVsc
854 Posts
If the passenger compartment is compromised, body shops (in my experience:eek: ) tend to shy away from agreeing to repair a car, and may find more reasons not to try....it may help to go over the damage with the body shop person, in person, before the insurance company is given the assessment. Urb is right though, you may be a victim of too much value left in your car, at least in the books...

ew

1 - 20 of 105 Posts