Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2016 ATS4 2.0T and a bunch of other stuff....
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everybody has their opinion and stories, here's mine.

My car had 24,000 mi when I bought it and the OE Michelin ZP tires were decent. Worn evenly and nowhere near the wear bars yet. Noisy and stiff, wouldn't hold a line in a bumpy curve driven aggressively - didn't expect that. What really disturbed me though, they hydroplaned so bad I was scared to drive it in a steady rain! I chalked it up to the tires being farther worn than they looked, and I have snow tires mounted now which are far superior in every aspect.

Fast forward to a week ago or so, driving a loaner CTS with only 124 miles on Bridgestone run-flats. Same thing - fairly heavy rain and that thing scared me to death hydroplaning! 40mph on a 55mph secondary highway without skating all over the road. My ride home in my own car with snows on it was smooth and uneventful on the same road, same day. I honestly don't know who designed these tires or who spec'd them for our cars, but they must live in an extremely dry climate.

Are they all that bad? Is there a run-flat that's better rated for rain performance?

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,573 Posts
How much tread was left on the "run flats"? Hydroplaning is usually caused by excessive tread wear leaving water nowhere to go.

·
Registered
2016 ATS4 2.0T and a bunch of other stuff....
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
About half tread on my tires, but the loaner I was driving was brand new - 124 miles.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
20,253 Posts
About half tread on my tires, but the loaner I was driving was brand new - 124 miles.
====================
a quick look at the tread design will tell you whether the tire will be good on wet pavement or not -

if there are no open channels from the center of the tread to the outside edge -
there is no easy path for the water to go and you WILL hydroplane -

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,101 Posts
Yup - "all season" tires are rain-better than performance tires and snows are even better. As posted, the easier the tire can move water out from the contact patch, the better it will act in rain. Worn tires will hydroplane much easier than new tires.

Cold tire pressure also affects hydroplaning and traction performance. Over-inflation wears the center of the tread - that tire will be harsh riding and hydroplane readily.

Read the manufacturer's ratings and the customer reviews in www.tirerack.com.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
29,096 Posts
9X the square root of the tire pressure = the speed in knots at which the tire will hydroplane. This is the formula for aircraft tires. I would suspect the tire pressures were dropped in search of a softer ride with run flats.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts