Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Rumbling when I turn the car off

748 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Ranger 
#1 ·
I got a problem....I have a 92 deville, and when I turn the car off, sometimes out of no where I will hear this rumbling that sounds like it is coming from under my hood, I will hear this rumbling, and then it will eventually stop. Does anyone know what the problem could be? At first for some reason I thought it was my battery..it IS pretty old..could that be it?

#3 ·
You are a little unclear as to whether you think it is still the engine running. If so that is often caused by a build up of carbon which remains hot and causes the engine to run for a few seconds after turning off the key. At times the AC system will make some noise after turning off the car which is normally not a problem. I doubt if it has anything to do with your battery.

#4 ·
Sounds like the air pump for the suspension. Mine has done that frequently in the past. IIRC, trickle charging the battery mysteriously seemed to help it and when I got a new battery and regularly trickle charge it if not using the car for a few weeks, it has since stopped completely. It may do it here and there very occasionally which appears to me to be normal. Otherwise, if it still does it, I would assume there could be a leak or seal problem of some kind.

#5 ·
When you hear the noise do you see a "leveling" message, somewhere on your display? This indicator tells you the car is leveling, it is automatic, and will operate even if the car is not running. The car just does it on its own when it senses the car is not level. This is perfectly normal. It does not draw enough amps to drain your battery so that shouldn't worry you, either.

#6 ·
Umm, im not sure if there is a leveling message or not. I will check next time it happens. And I know its not the engine still running..its not even a rumble..its kinda like a clicking, because you cant actually feel the "rumble"..I can just hear it. It hasnt seemed to cause any problem..but it just bothers the hell out of me wondering what it is lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.