Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have followed the very helpful advice of checking the codes, then resetting them, this is the only one which came up as current.

Have done the search, and found that it means 'Left Front Position Sensor Input Fault'. Phew, when it said service suspension I envisaged 1000s having to be spent on new suspension (touch wood!..) but it appears to be simply a sensor..Have booked it into the local UK Cadillac stealership so still not feeling quite confident with regards to price (last week a new boot latch cost me the eyewatering equivalent of $300 in UK pounds), so could anyone give me any tips on what to have a look for myself under the car before I take it in on Monday. Which is the 'left front' tyre anyway - left hand side when looking at it from the front?

Once again, any help to someone as inexperienced with Cadillacs as me is much appreciated!

Dale

·
Registered
1996 Deville (sold), 2000 Mustang GT
1,300 Posts
Left front should be driver side's. Try to clean the contacts where the sensor plugs in, its very vulnerable to dirt and road grime. I am not sure what the conversion is, but in the US a sensor costs between 400-500 dollars for the PART. The road sensing suspension is very, very costly to replace, each shock, just the shock is 1000 dollars. I drove my caddy with the service suspension messege on the entire time I owned it. It won't affect the ride too much.

·
Registered
Cadillac
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Results of Garage visit!

Took the Car to the dealership today to have the 'service suspension' message looked at and also to have the car given the once over. The front sensor had indeed died as was suggested to me, but £240 for a new part meant that I will be leaving that for a while! :) The mechanic was a decent guy and suggested that as it wouldn't affect the ride of the STS not to get it changed unless I won the lottery!

Talking of wishes to win the lottery, he DID however find a couple of 'points of concern' with the car...the transmission fluid is apparently black (should be a lovely red), the coolant shows small traces of oil (though not thick 'mayo'), and the engines not running 100% smooth.

As it's not really been serviced since 80k (on 108k now) he is going to change the 108,000 mile old spark plugs and drain the coolant system - says may solve the coolant problem (doesn't think that it's a head gasket problem). Does changing the spark plugs/coolant sound like a possible solution to anyone who has experienced this problem? Hopefully it's not head gasket territory and time to scrap the car!

As to the transmission fluid, he's changing the filter and fluid - says that at 108k the mileage may have let to the black colour of the fluid and that it may simply need changing. Again, does this sound like a problem/solution anyone else has experienced?

Kind Regards

Dale

·
Registered
'93 STS (sold), now looking for a CTS Wagon soon!!
503 Posts
Changing fluids is always a good habit...... With lot's of miles, contamination can get in the mix ( coolant ).

I may suggest changing the spark plug wires also. Dark transmission fluid may just show years of use, but hopefully, you don't smell, a burned smell.

·
Registered
1996 eldorado, 2009 STS, 2004 XLR
213 Posts
Can't really help you with your problem, but maybe you can help me. Where did you find the rss codes? I have a 96 eldo and can't find those rss codes anywhere! Thanks

·
Registered
Cadillac
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cadillac Tech, I´m glad you said that about the sensor, I´ll get under the car and have a proper look when I´m back. They may just be wanting me to buy a new sensor. Though I´m not really sure what I´m looking for

As for the RSS codes, the kind guys on here helped me out with that as I´m a complete cadillac novice. I think I held down the on-off button at the same time as the "up" button until the dash lit up like a Christmas tree.

Many Thanks for everyone´s advice, I´m on holiday in spain at the moment so will hopefully have the sts driving nicely when I get back :)

Dale

1 - 8 of 8 Posts