Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2009 CTS4
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all. I have an interesting (to me) problem that seems to only occur in Sport Mode on my 2009 CTS4. I've only owned the car for a couple of months, but I did have a 2007 CTS before this one, and used sport mode a lot - so this doesn't seem at all normal. Twice now I have had the RPMs surge to 3K or 4K and hang there for up to 10 seconds.

I have not been "gunning it" - this morning I was simply cruising in the right lane getting ready to exit the highway. I had it happen to me once on a back road, going around 40, and this morning going around 65, then again on the offramp at around 25-30, so it doesn't seem speed-related. The rest of the time it drives fine.

It doesn't seem like the car is spontaneously accelerating or anything - I can slow it with the brakes fine - just like it's confused as to what gear it's supposed to be in. Taking it out of sport mode doesn't immediately stop the behavior, nor does taking my foot off the gas and hitting the brake.

Anyone else ever have this problem and, if so, have any insight?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2012 Black Diamond tricoat 3.0 awd cts
143 Posts
Hi, all. I have an interesting (to me) problem that seems to only occur in Sport Mode on my 2009 CTS4. I've only owned the car for a couple of months, but I did have a 2007 CTS before this one, and used sport mode a lot - so this doesn't seem at all normal. Twice now I have had the RPMs surge to 3K or 4K and hang there for up to 10 seconds.

I have not been "gunning it" - this morning I was simply cruising in the right lane getting ready to exit the highway. I had it happen to me once on a back road, going around 40, and this morning going around 65, then again on the offramp at around 25-30, so it doesn't seem speed-related. The rest of the time it drives fine.

It doesn't seem like the car is spontaneously accelerating or anything - I can slow it with the brakes fine - just like it's confused as to what gear it's supposed to be in. Taking it out of sport mode doesn't immediately stop the behavior, nor does taking my foot off the gas and hitting the brake.

Thanks in advance.
Clean out your intake valve.

·
Registered
2009 CTS4
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks - I'll have to take it to a mechanic because I don't know how to do that, but I'll ask them to do it. Did you have a similar issue, or is this based on your general understanding of how engines work? (I don't have any real understanding of that, in case it's not obvious.)

·
Registered
2008 CTS4 3.6 LY7
236 Posts
It's because the sport in the CTS does nothing more than holds the gear longer than in non sport mode. So when it spazes like that it's downshifting. The whole point of it doing that is so when you get off the gas to brake before a turn it won't downshift it'll hold the gear so you can take off faster....

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2009 CTS Sport Premium Package
53 Posts
I have same car and same problem. However mine occurs after being on the freeway for a bit exiting and then being at a as stop light. When I take off it won't shift outv of the lower gear. I literally have to take my foot off the gas and coast as I pull over to the side. When stopped I remove it from Sport Mode and go again

The problem occurred for the dealer when I took it to him. He replaced the TCM, blessed it as fixed and sent me packing. NOT! it still occurs. No one can say why. So now u just throw it in competitive mode and hit it that way. If u hear why it occurs please let me know

12,778 Posts
I have same car and same problem. However mine occurs after being on the freeway for a bit exiting and then being at a as stop light. When I take off it won't shift outv of the lower gear. I literally have to take my foot off the gas and coast as I pull over to the side. When stopped I remove it from Sport Mode and go again

The problem occurred for the dealer when I took it to him. He replaced the TCM, blessed it as fixed and sent me packing. NOT! it still occurs. No one can say why. So now u just throw it in competitive mode and hit it that way. If u hear why it occurs please let me know
Hello Redpony,

We sincerely apologize that you have been experiencing this continual concern with your CTS while in Sport Mode. We understand how frustrating it can be to pinpoint an intermittent issue and it is clear that your visit to the dealership the first time did not resolve the RPM surge. Should you want to continue working with your dealership towards a resolution, please feel free to reach out to us if we can be of any assistance.

Kind Regards,

Samantha N
Cadillac Customer Care

·
Registered
2009 CTS Sport Premium Package
53 Posts
Samantha, while I appreciate the fact you saw an issue I am unclear as to what can be done at this point. Dealerships, for the most part are decent.
However, I don't have time to keep taking time off from work in the off chance that they may actually hit the nail on the head that time. No one seems to
know what is causing this, nor does there seem to be a concerted effort to really get to the bottom of it. My dealer says it was the TCM. NOT! Other dealers
from across the country (as evidenced by other posts) have other thoughts. Yet in the end none of them seem to be the answer.

It is just a shame that on such a nice looking car/package that I am unable to utilize the one feature that I would love to truly have access to. I would love to
work with whomever can address this problem. On the same token I don't want to be opening a can of worms. Any assistance you may provide would be
well received and I am open to varying courses of action. Please let me know.

·
Registered
17 XT5 AWD Luxury
96 Posts
Not sure if it is different in the 2009, but I just picked up my 2014 CTS Coupe up after having weird down shift/ revving in Sport Mode only. The dealer paperwork indicated that it had Code P0826 "shifter assembly internal open circuit" and they replaced the "transmission shift control" PN 25824503 -it works perfect now.
Not sure of the cost because it was a warranty job -but they said that bills at least 3 hours. I found the part listed, but this part fits Cadillac CTS RWD so there may be a different PN for AWD?

(25824053) SHIFTER ASSY - 2014 Cadillac CTS

List Price: $280.09
You Save: $66.16 (24% off)
Sale Price: $213.93
Manufacturer: GM
Part Number: 25824053
Part: SHIFTER ASSY

Fitment Verified
We guarantee fitment when VIN is submitted with order!

(25824053) SHIFTER ASSY - 2014 Cadillac CTS

Product Description
This is a SHIFTER ASSY for your 2014 Cadillac CTS Performance with 3.6L V6 - Flex engine. It is a Genuine GM replacement part (#25824053), and carries a factory warranty. We also sell BODY and CENTER CONSOLE parts for this vehicle.As with all our parts, we offer you a huge savings off list prices while providing the best customer service available on the internet. We make returns easy with no hidden fees and no restocking charges. Plus, our shipping is super fast with NO hidden handling or packaging fees. At GMPartsNow.com everything is always fast, easy, fair, and straightforward. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact our parts experts: [email protected] | 616.988.9147

This Part Also Fits:

Cadillac CTS

2014 Cadillac CTS Performance 3.6L V6 - Flex

2009 Cadillac CTS Base 3.6L V6 - Gas

12,778 Posts
Samantha, while I appreciate the fact you saw an issue I am unclear as to what can be done at this point. Dealerships, for the most part are decent.
However, I don't have time to keep taking time off from work in the off chance that they may actually hit the nail on the head that time. No one seems to
know what is causing this, nor does there seem to be a concerted effort to really get to the bottom of it. My dealer says it was the TCM. NOT! Other dealers
from across the country (as evidenced by other posts) have other thoughts. Yet in the end none of them seem to be the answer.

It is just a shame that on such a nice looking car/package that I am unable to utilize the one feature that I would love to truly have access to. I would love to
work with whomever can address this problem. On the same token I don't want to be opening a can of worms. Any assistance you may provide would be
well received and I am open to varying courses of action. Please let me know.
Good evening Redpony,

I understand how you feel; it is very inconvenient to have to return to your dealer for repairs. We certainly would like you to fully enjoy all of the features your CTS Sport has to offer. My team and I have several internal resources available to us, which allows us to further investigate your vehicle concerns. If you are interested in moving forward with this process, please send us a private message including your VIN, current mileage, contact information and names of any certified Cadillac dealers that have diagnosed your CTS Sport's surging issue. From there, we are able to research your concerns further and determine the best course of action.

All the best,

Amanda K.
Cadillac Customer Care

·
Registered
'10 CTS4 3.6L Wagon prem; '06 STS 3.6L base; '98 Seville STS
2,341 Posts
dont want to start a new thread but is this how these engines run? when you step on the gas (all the way), the car revs (up to 4000rpm) but doesnt move until it drops down to 2000rpm then it takes off (dangerous trying to overtake and not timing it right)

then in sports mode, when activated and I step on the gas all the way, the car sways left to right like a boat motion (TCL does not light up). dont know if this is normal for the awd system

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,181 Posts
Sway might be caused by tires. Some have had this problem with pss or mismatched tires.

·
Registered
'10 CTS4 3.6L Wagon prem; '06 STS 3.6L base; '98 Seville STS
2,341 Posts
Sway might be caused by tires. Some have had this problem with pss or mismatched tires.
All 3 tires are Michelin except for front right. Previous owner also bent both front wheels and relocated them to the rear causing massive vibrations at high speeds (straightened the RR thinking it was just one that bent, only to realize that it was both rear wheels...smh).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts