Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2001 seville sls
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello This just recently happened i was driving to a friends house real quick and when i get in my car to drive home my service engine soon light is on, as soon as i get in my driveway about 5 min later and put in park my rpms are slowly moving up and down to about 1 to 1 1/2 rpms. Its kinda smooth sounding as if someone was just barley taping the gas its not rough or shaking just the needle bouncing up and down at a moderate pase and sounds like a tiny little engine rev. My only guess is that when i got the car the guy had a small piece missing off of his air filter that allows some air into the intake where it should not be. I figured i could go to a junk yard and find the missing piece but 3 yards later and found nothing and cant find a single item online within the last 10 min ive been searching. Any help would be great, Thank You I also ran the codes and nothing appeared i will check again in the morning

ok i was curious so went back out there still no codes coming up, but my mistake rpms now are at .5 and just barley bouncing and still making tiny revs

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,627 Posts
If you have an SES light, you have a DTC stored. It will be a PCM code. Based on what you have said, I would suspect it will be a MAF related code and will be cured when you replace the missing part (whatever it is).

·
Registered
2001 seville sls
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright i went out there this morning and the rpms are fine now, the SES light is on still. I checked the engine and the air intake was somehow out of the hole on the intake to the engine? i ran the codes and got these..msm u1000...pcm p0171...pcm p0174..ttm u 1016...all history

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,024 Posts
If that resonator or any part of the intake duct from the MAF to the throttlebody is loose or leaking any air, you will get all sorts of codes and the SES - remember that the code system needs 3 successful start-run cycles during which a specific code does not set in order to clear that code automatically.

Consider doing this to make your life easier and the engine compartment cleaner..........use a proper sized machine screw or bolt for the top airbox cover in place of the rubber/Torx keeper for the resonator.

·
Registered
2001 seville sls
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea so the piece i have that comes frm the top of the intake that you have plugged i should remove? thats the piece that came out but the thing is the box or cover in the picture you have the one with the numbers on it, i do not have? And dont know how i can find a replacement. Im going to check one more junk yard this weekend other then thatim ata dead end online, unless im searching for the wrong name.

·
Registered
2001 seville sls
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Would this also cause an issue with gas mileage? When i bought the car the guy also gave me a fuel filter saying that his mechanic said it might be a good idea? he didnt say why and said he doesnt know anything about cars but he just never got around to getting it done but he said that that is why the gas mileage is bad right now.

·
Administrator
68,024 Posts
If you're missing part of that airbox - the box itself, the filter retainer cover/spigot, then you're engine is eating raw air and the PCM is not receiving proper cooling and that top cover (with my oil and air filter dates on it) is necessary because it forces some intake air to flow past the PCM, thus cooling it somewhat.

You need to do some parts study and get to a junkyard, pronto.............

Look at your air intake setup in www.gmpartsgiant.com - it will take some surfing to find it, but you'll find diagrams of the complete intake system - use the "enlarge" tab on the diagram page.

EDIT: Gas mileage is a factor of many things - but get the air intake problems straightened out first - that will affect mileage, as will the air filter itself, dirty throttlebody, dirty fuel injectors, any other vacuum leaks, a split plenum (search), bad plugs, a lead foot, city driving, ........etc., etc.

EDIT #2: I just looked at that airbox cover - that price is absolutely insane for a 6x8 molded piece of plastic. JUNKYARD TIME !!!

·
Registered
2001 seville sls
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok thank you very much. I will deff get to a junk yard today, that part was listed at 176$ just for the housing cover which is the item im missing, so im gonna go on a search for that and hopefully get it alot cheaper at the junk yard if i find it.
And also in the picture you posted MAF end view with the sensors inside , Am i supposed to clean them actuall sensors? if so what shoould i use to make sure i dont damage anything?

·
Administrator
68,024 Posts
That's the Mass Air Flow sensor - that thingy in line just after the air filter holder/spigot. You can see it and the electrical connector in my pictures. DO NOT mess with it - those tiny heated resistors across the bridges are fragile, and that honeycomb airflow straightener must be in place. ANY air leak on the engine side of the MAF or any of that ducting will really screw up gas mileage and performance, as well as set Trouble Codes.

·
Administrator
68,024 Posts
IF you do the resonator removal trick (search for "butt plug") use a rattle can top - remove that flex duct from the throttlebody and MAF - careful - and insert the paint can top - look in and mark the skirt with a Sharpie - what you want to do is trim the skirt off the can top so there's little or no airflow interference.

Or, if you know a machinist or someone at a local school VoTech shop, have them turn a plug out of aluminum - that way you can duplicate the inner retainer ring - look in the rubber duct hole and you'll see the resonator retainer groove.

You WILL notice more air intake noise on WOT with this mod - but nothing in the way of power gain. The entire Northstar air intake is already a perfectly large, efficient CAI as-is.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts