Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Lemon Law'd '05 V
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've used Synchromax in other vehicles with great results...much smoother, but our tranny calls for ATF. RP states that we can use their ATF, which I've done...not a big difference, but for higher performance to use Synchromax...

So, anyone done it? I figure the tranny couldn't feel any clunkier.

-ace

·
Registered
'05 CTS-VM 51 track days in Maggied V & 82 in Atom 2 in Volt
1,690 Posts
I'm on my second change with Synchromax over the ATF in the grind box simply because of their statement..

"Synchromax® Recommended for manual transmissions that specify automatic transmission fluid,.."

I've changed the diff with their Max-gear after 3 track events and the trans after every 4th.. cheap insurance. What it's 4 to the trans and 2 to the diff? cheap and easy. I think it runs a few degrees cooler, so I'm hoping the rear too. The local PAW hotrod shop carries it so it's easy for me to pickup.

Did you see the time on HP TV when they put in all RP fluids in a late model Camaro and got like 8Hp just from changing fluids? I know that may be magic but if you going to change it anyway...

V

·
0 Posts
Never changed the V while I had it but 2nd gear engagement under 30F cold start was difficult. In the '05 GTO I used RP MAX ATF in the gear box and have had no problems on single digit days.

Norm

·
Registered
476 Posts
I am using Mobil 1 ATF, and no problems with 26K miles. Compared it back-to-back with another CTS-V using stock fluid, and mine seemed to shift easier on a summer day.
Wonder if anyone has compared Mobil 1 ATF to Royal Purple Synchromax?

·
Registered
57 Posts
OK a little confused; are there two separate RP product: their ATF and then something else called Synchromax, or is the Synchromax an ATF?

·
Registered
Lemon Law'd '05 V
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The RP ATF is automatic tranny fluid, the Synchromax is a manual tranny fluid that can be used in manuals that call for ATF. I don't understand why GM would call for an ATF in a manual, unless they just have so damn much of the fluid in the plants that it's cheaper to use it.

I'm mainly looking to have a smoother feel to the tranny, the Synchromax worked fantastic for me before in other cars...
-ace

·
Registered
05 V/corsa/shifter/bushings/stealth tune/cai/19inch hre's
843 Posts
if it makes shifts easyer....im in..ill try it...where do you get this stuff...is there anything better out there...i have redline in the diff now...i think..:sneaky:

V

·
0 Posts
Heh, GM recommended 5w30 in their FWD 5-speed. :)

Norm

ace996 said:
...I don't understand why GM would call for an ATF in a manual, unless they just have so damn much of the fluid in the plants that it's cheaper to use it.
-ace

·
Registered
'05 CTS-VM 51 track days in Maggied V & 82 in Atom 2 in Volt
1,690 Posts
ace996 said:
The RP ATF is automatic tranny fluid, the Synchromax is a manual tranny fluid that can be used in manuals that call for ATF. I don't understand why GM would call for an ATF in a manual, unless they just have so damn much of the fluid in the plants that it's cheaper to use it.

I'm mainly looking to have a smoother feel to the tranny, the Synchromax worked fantastic for me before in other cars...
-ace
Thinner more better, mpg all that stuff..

Try the Synchromax, you'll like it. Seems like it was the same price anyway. Cheaper than a tank of gas.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts