Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
(2) 1982 Seville Elegantes& (1) 1980 Eldorado Biarritz
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I drove this car for 2 years with no problems, then recently my car would take forever to start unless I poured a little gas down the throttle body, then it would start. I replaced the throttle body with the one on my other Seville and the same thing happened. I replaced the fuel filter and still no progress. I checked all plugs and wires (one wire was grounding out on the block) and replaced it.
Finally, I took it to a mechanic (certified) and they said my fuel pump was only putting out 4 lbs of pressure and I needed 15 to 20 lbs. Anyways, $700.00 later, my Seville has a new pump, screen and fuel filter. It runs great on the highway (lots of power), but now it idles rough and wants to die, and when it's idling there is light black smoke out the exhaust. Still hard starting - pouring gas down the throttle body again. I have a new oxygen sensor I want to install, but the mechanic said this wouldn't cause this problem. I'm going to install it anyways as the old one looks very old. Also when I drive the vacuum gauge usually indicated "3" when coasting, but now it indicates 12 to 15. Is this a vacuum leak, because I checked all lines and they appear fine.
Thanks in advance for any advice!

·
Registered
did this once... 86 Deville, 86 300E, 78 R100rs
517 Posts
Does this sound like an open EGR valve to anyone but me?
:)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did take the EGR valve off to clean it out as it was completely plugged with black carbon. Maybe it is stuck open... I'll take it off again to check it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update: I changed the spark plug wires with new ones and put a gasket under my throttle body (didn't have one). It now starts easier and runs smoother... but I haven't checked the egr valve yet or replaced the O2 sensor. Will do that soon and update this thread again. Getting there. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts