Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2004 CTS
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced rough/uneven idle problems with their 3.6 CTS? It’s most noticeable during cold starts, but seems to have a slight stumble even after being warmed for a few minutes. The driving characteristics are otherwise normal. Since I only have 300 miles, possibly additional break-in time is needed, but shouldn’t be required given current engine technology.

·
Registered
24 Posts
17000+ miles and mine still idles funny. My John Deere Tractor has better Cold Engine Idle than my $40,000 car.

CHAD

Remember "Cadillac" is still General Motors

·
Registered
Current: None Past: '94 STS, '93 Eldorado, '98 ETC, '03 CTS
6,654 Posts
34000 miles here and I have no idle problems either...

CWK, I've read quite a few of your posts here. You need to turn your car in, there's something wrong. Convince your dealership to let you do a 24 hour test drive on a different CTS, I gaurantee you'll notice a difference as I've never heard of someone having the problems to the extent you do with this car.

·
Registered
543 Posts
gothicaleigh said:
34000 miles here and I have no idle problems either...

CWK, I've read quite a few of your posts here. You need to turn your car in, there's something wrong. Convince your dealership to let you do a 24 hour test drive on a different CTS, I gaurantee you'll notice a difference as I've never heard of someone having the problems to the extent you do with this car.
I hate to say it but with the number of posts on more than one board its beginning to smell like a troll.

·
Registered
46 Posts
There was a change to the engine control system and engine calibration after start of production to address this problem. There should be a service bulletin on this issue, but I am not 100% sure. As described above, if you get into a more recent build car you should notice quiet a bit of improvment.

·
Registered
543 Posts
JoeCaddy1 said:
There was a change to the engine control system and engine calibration after start of production to address this problem. There should be a service bulletin on this issue, but I am not 100% sure. As described above, if you get into a more recent build car you should notice quiet a bit of improvment.
Is this a 3.2L or 3.6L update?

·
Registered
46 Posts
The orininal post was referring to the 3.6L. My description of calibration and controller changes was strictly for the 3.6L. There was a different service fix for the 3.2L issue of rough idle. The fix for the 3.2L involved adding a damping strut between the engine and shock tower.

·
Registered
543 Posts
JoeCaddy1 said:
The orininal post was referring to the 3.6L. My description of calibration and controller changes was strictly for the 3.6L. There was a different service fix for the 3.2L issue of rough idle. The fix for the 3.2L involved adding a damping strut between the engine and shock tower.
Thanks, I will check with my dealer on this.

I had experienced minor idle roughness but I was also switching grades of gasoline between 87 and 91 and Dallas weather was changing from 75 one day to 25 the next.

Too many variables to complain.

Do you have a specific TSB for this?

·
Registered
543 Posts
CWK said:
Troll?? What is meant by that??
Nothing toward you personally, but there are a number of posters who attempt to poison a thread they don't like.

Look at the Quality thread I posted for example. People who don't even own the car swarm like flies when you post positve news from a reputable firm like JD Powers.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The rough idle should be very dependent on outside temperature. Worse when it is colder. You should only see the problem when the vehicle is in cold start boost idle which is when the vehicle idles around 1500-1600 rpm. It should only last 30 seconds max in the coldest condition. If the outside temp is high enough the car may not go to cold boost or may only stay there for a few seconds.

I will try and find more info on a service bulletin. If I find something I will post it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Here is the info I was able to dig up on cold start rough idle. Service bulletin #03-06-04-064.

For vehicles built prior to VIN breakpoint 40111046

Reprogram ECM with calibration P/N 12588473. The calibration listed is an electronic calibration and is not available from GMSPO. Calibration will be available from Techline on the TIS2000 version 10.5 for 2003 data update or later.

·
Registered
543 Posts
JoeCaddy1 said:
Here is the info I was able to dig up on cold start rough idle. Service bulletin #03-06-04-064.

For vehicles built prior to VIN breakpoint 40111046

Reprogram ECM with calibration P/N 12588473. The calibration listed is an electronic calibration and is not available from GMSPO. Calibration will be available from Techline on the TIS2000 version 10.5 for 2003 data update or later.
Thanks, I'll tell my dealer about this.

·
Registered
91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)
4,396 Posts
JoeCaddy1 said:
... For vehicles built prior to VIN breakpoint 40111046 ...
Woohoo, I have a later VIN. However, I'll see how it does during the single-digit morning temps the next three days.

·
Registered
04 CTS Lux Sport
33 Posts
My 2004 3.6L (1SC) has random vibration (lumps) during idle, worse during cold start. VIN# ... 40112860. Dealer CND my first complaint at 3K miles. I test drove a new 3.6L 1SC CTS at another dealer, no lumps, no vibration at idle. Took it back in at 7K miles with same complaint. Tech acknowledged the problem and supposedly "reprogrammed PCM". Car still idles rough, randomly vibrates noticeably. What do you suggest as a next step?:annoyed:

·
Registered
Current: None Past: '94 STS, '93 Eldorado, '98 ETC, '03 CTS
6,654 Posts
Notify the dealer again. If they are unwilling to help, call Cadillac Customer Service. Cadillac corporate has been very good, in my experience, about resolving issues on these cars(they are trying everything they can to rebuild their image afterall...).
If the problem persists, you can always try to get the car replaced under your state's lemon law(this is after a couple more times in with the same problem).

·
Registered
04 CTS Lux Sport
33 Posts
:banghead:

Intermittent rough idle continues, cold start, hot, doesn't matter. Contacted Cadillac Customer Service (5/8). Reminds me of the stall tactics my cell phone company (Cingular) uses. Won't give me direct number to Area Rep, only name. Promises to call back but can't guarantee Rep will be on the phone. Requested Rep call me directly (5/10). Waiting to hear from local Rep. Anyone have information on a direct Corporate contact? I love evrything about the car, EXCEPT the rough idle. Not very good quality for a $40K car!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts