Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2012 cts 3.6 premium touring package
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Intermittent rough idle, hard starting, oil consumption. Not getting smoke out of exhaust but alot of vapors/fumes. Getting huge plumes out the back on a cold or humid night. I put a catch can in a while ago. wondering if during routing the hoses I unknowingly messed with the pcv system and did something to cause these symptoms. I tried blowing into the pcv valve and air was flowing into it. Isn't the pcv valve supposed to be a one directional valve? Can a bad purge valve or vent solenoid be the issue? Any ideas?

·
Registered
08 CTS DI
1,476 Posts
The valve is metered now instead of one way at least on the 3.6L. If you didn't tamper with the PCV valve as far as drilling the holes out in it and there is no leak on either side valve cover, scan for a pending code. The new onset rough idle and oil consumption is a complaint I've heard associated with the timing chain. Vapors and fumes are strongly suggestive of a poor combustion process. Is it possible you have fuel contamination from a recent fill?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I had my engine replaced with a Jasper by warranty about a year and a half ago after the original failed due to timing chain jumping a few notches. I then shortly after got a Tran leak which was fixed by replacing the torque converter. Highly doubtful it's bad fuel. I only buy gas at reputable stations. Should I drill the pcv valve holes like people are saying to do? Would this help? Engine really is running poorly and smell of fumes is becoming nauseating they're so strong.

·
Registered
2011 CTS Coupe FE3, 2003 Thunderbird, Gone 2013 ATS, 02 Deville
1,101 Posts
Well I would just concentrate on the fuel smell, you may have a fuel leak causing the fuel pump pressure to be low causing the bad idle.

get to the PCV holes last.

·
Registered
08 CTS DI
1,476 Posts
So I had my engine replaced with a Jasper by warranty about a year and a half ago after the original failed due to timing chain jumping a few notches. I then shortly after got a Tran leak which was fixed by replacing the torque converter. Highly doubtful it's bad fuel. I only buy gas at reputable stations. Should I drill the pcv valve holes like people are saying to do? Would this help? Engine really is running poorly and smell of fumes is becoming nauseating they're so strong.
I'd advise against tampering with the PCV, particularly if there was no problem with it before. I asked because enlarging the holes will affect throttle position some, since the throttle blade will have to close more in order to achieve the desired idle if PCV flow is increased. Since you have not modified it, I wouldn't suspect it as being the problem. You haven't mentioned the engine light being on, if the fuel pressure is low enough to affect idle, it should be on. A fuel pressure leak by itself is unlikely to explain the concurrent oil consumption and fumes strong enough to make you sick would most likely be coming from under the hood and through the HVAC system if you're talking about inside the car, so stop driving it and start looking for that leak for fire and health hazard reasons.

What is the status of the engine light and even if it's not on, you should have the car scanned for codes. Check for vacuum leaks. Which engine do you have; 3.0, 3.6 port injected, or DI?

Jasper doesn't appear to be fairing very well in recent reviews I've read on their engines, or transmissions sorry to say.

·
Registered
2011 CTS Performance Coupe -3.6 DI 6 Speed Manual
457 Posts
You mentioned that you are not sure the catch can lines were installed correctly or something else got messed up.
Can you describe your hook up.
A catch can goes in between the line coming from the passenger side valve cover going to the intake manifold. Also check that the line on the drivers side valve cover is hooked up and routed into the big fresh air hose just past the MAF sensor.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its a 2012 cts 3.6L DI. No CEL or codes after scanning. Going to check for a vac leak again.

·
Registered
08 CTS DI
1,476 Posts
Timing is everything, how long is "A while ago"? Just before things started going wrong, or was everything okay for a while and now suddenly there's a problem? I can't imagine why the engine light is not on from what you have described. Of course if this happened immediately after the oil catch can install, the easy fix would be returning the car to its previous state.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts