1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
130,000 Miles

My car has been operating differently than normal, i’ve had the car since early September 2019. When first purchased i had to replace the radiator fan relay ever since it’s been running beautifully. (Although the drivers side blows hot air and the passengers side blows cold air when the heater/AC is on.) I changed the oil, flushed green coolant and replaced with recommended dex-cool. (No sludge because i properly flushed it myself with distilled water) I replaced the coolant reservoir tank and a few hoses along with a coolant recovery cap. The new reservoir came with a 16 lb pressure rated cap I thought it was kind of abnormal so I replaced with 18 lb pressure release cap. Recently I’ve noticed a little bit of coolant coming from the top of the cap , also today i got a check coolant level message so i pulled over and added Prestone 50/50 dexcool. (I always keep one or two gallons of coolant in the car) I didn’t suspect anything was wrong until my operating temperature went higher than normal its gone as high as 237 degrees Fahrenheit, then dropped back down to about 218. I checked for leaks and couldn’t find a single drop anywhere. Thought nothing of it let it sit for a few hours, but wen i drove it again, i got around the corner and got another check coolant level message. I pulled over before my engine reached halfway to normal temperature noticed my reservoir was low on coolant. I added sum more antifreeze and drove 74 miles and its running hotter than normal but not overheating. Haven’t seen the gauge go over 237 degrees (using obd II monitor) I want to take a look at my purge line to see if its clogged but i wanted an opinion on weather this is normal or not, only difference in the driving conditions is the weather, its been cold and raining since November but today is the first time its ever occurred. Any thoughts? (Radiator fans work, no leaks that i can see, coolant is a clean bright orange)

Thanks.
811A5116-8C6F-4D4F-A53A-1AD7DED3981C.jpeg

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
2002 Cadillac Eldorado Etc
130,000 Miles

Cars been idling rough for about 30 seconds at start up when cold and sitting for 4 hours or more. I cleaned the throttle body and idle air control valve and it seemed to fix the problem for about a week before reoccurring. It runs smooth and quiet after 30 seconds to a minute after start up. No codes, no warning lights. (Only starts up rough when cold) (Very quiet engine noise and starts up smoothly when warm)

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,622 Posts
No, it's not normal. Check that purge line and if it is clear and flows coolant, then it's time for a block test.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,622 Posts
Sounds like a classic example of an early HG failure. Do a block test.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i jus drove to work this morning, no coolant loss message, no rough idle at start up and the temperature goes back and forth from 215 to 230 degrees Fahrenheit. (50 degrees outside, and i drove it really hard, about 80 - 100 mph) I also jus had it smogged last month and passed no problem. Im gonna take a look at the purge line this afternoon. I pulled my oil dipstick, no signs of blown head gasket in oil or antifreeze.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,978 Posts
Northstars with head gasket problems do not normally mix coolant and oil or vice versa.

The engine should run at 190 - 210 winter/summer/Alaska/Sahara. The thermostat starts at 188 and is fully open at 206. Most Northstars run at 190 - 200 so the 'stat is normally only 75% - 90% open. (FWIW, my engine runs at just over 200 degrees at 130 mph - when I coast down from that speed and the injectors cut off [yes, they do, even during mountainous coastdowns] the coolant temp drops 15 - 20 degrees)

The tick marks on my gauge correspond to your smaller gauge - they use the same temp sender.

Temp gauge - my numbers.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts