Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2009 CTS DI AWD Premium
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

A quick question. Now that the paint issues are resolved, I took my car in for some "bugs" before the mileage gets too high. Ever since I got the car, the brakes have pulsed some. At first I thought it was because the car had been sitting, and it might go away. Well, it remained so I decided to take it to the dealership. They just called and let me know it was the rotors and they would have to "turn" or "grind" them. I told them I didn't want them to do so, as it would shorten the life of the rotors, and if they were already warped, they will need to be replaced. They acted as if I was crazy. What do you guys/girls think? Is it okay to "turn" or "grind" rotors on a car with only a couple thousand miles, or would you demand they be replaced?

·
Registered
2008 CTS4
28 Posts
I had brake issues from the get-go with my 2008. Had the ubiquitous squeal, which finally went away after replacing both front and rear pads.

The dealer turned the rotors once, at about 10k miles, which I thought was awfully soon. Then, I kept getting a vibration with light braking. Dealer first suggested turning rotors again, then decided they could replace them under warranty. Problem solved, and everything has been OK since.

Knock on wood.

·
Registered
2008 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, GMPP new engine 11/2013
2,092 Posts
Your dealer wants to turn brake rotors at 2K miles??? Something is wrong with that story. You need brand new OEM replacement rotors and new brake pads too, if required due to defective rotors, under your warranty coverage.

However if GM and your dealer insist on turning brake rotors instead of replacement, you should first check out this informative video http://www.oeqf.com/techinfo/scratching/scratching_lg.htm; and then make sure that the lathe will grind a non-directional radial or concentric finish on your rotors rather than the typical directional spiral pattern (i.e., phonograph record groove) finish.

FWIW, my wife drove a '98 Catera (very nice!) for several years. A Cadillac dealer turned the brake rotors at 25K miles, and brake performance worsened exactly as described in the video (pulsing, clicking, longer stopping distances). Annoying and dangerous. Replaced brake pads, but no improvement. We got rid of the Catera shortly thereafter.

·
Registered
2014 SRX Premium w/20" chrome
481 Posts
Rotors that need to be turned on a car with only 2k miles..wow! IMO, there was something wrong with the rotor's, and/or pad(s), right out of the gate. Personally, I would want new, (warrantied), replacement parts.

Let us know how things turn out.

·
Registered
2009 CTS DI AWD Premium
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey GMFAN and 928, thanks for the input. Sometimes I know I am right, but need some back up to make sure I'm not in left field. In the past, I would never let them turn/grind rotors, especially on a new car, because I had learned it would cause problems later on, particularly once the car is out of warranty. Glad you all concur on this one. We'll see what the service dept at this dealership says. They keep reminding me that it is not their car (I did not buy it there) as if they never worked on a car purchased somewhere else. I keep reminding them it is warranty work and I brought it to them because it is closest and that I did not buy the car from them because they did not have one in stock at the time, but then I ask why this is relevant for service ... to which they get very quiet. Ah, life ;-P

·
Registered
Cadillac 08CTS Hot Lava 3.6DI RWD special edition
74 Posts
stuck calipers burning up the rotors? :confused:

Had an old 71 Firebird Formula the did that and ate rotors....

But I would demand replacement... too soon for turning..

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
Even though rotors are wearable items (when talking about warranty), manufacts do replace them if less than 12k miles on the vehicle, if vehicle is still under warranty.

Call a GM dealership about 100 miles away; ask for service mgr; explain situation to him, and ask him his candid opinion. Methinks you are being snookered.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts