Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2009 CTS4 Premium & 2012 SRX4 Luxury
604 Posts
Re: Rotor/Brake Combo Package

I would not trust off-brand brakes, particularly cross-drilled rotors. Never heard of this Max Advanced brand. Many of those cheap drilled rotors will develop cracks around the holes within a year or two use.

If you want the cross-drilled look without the cracking, have a look at the EBC dimpled rotors and Red Stuff pads.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,163 Posts
Re: Rotor/Brake Combo Package

No way I would purchase an off brand.

·
Registered
2013 CTS4 Premium Coupe |Platinum Ice Tricoat
133 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS 2008
42 Posts
Front Brake Replacement Question

I own a 2008 Cadillac CTS and have always taken the vehicle to an authorized Cadillac Dealership for regular maintenance. However, I am aware that it is now coming close to having the front brakes replaced and am trying to save myself some $$$

I have all the required tools to perform a brake change (allen wrench, brake tool and etc) and have always performed my own brake change until purchasing the Cadillac; so my question would be is there any major difference between changing the brakes on a Cadillac vs any other non-luxury vehicle?

I don't want to "assume" that the process and methods are pretty much the same without asking around first. Because if I am forced to spend the extra bucks to have the Dealership do it, I will. As opposed to screwing up things in the effort of saving money.

Any advice is welcome and greatly appreciated!

Thanks

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS 2008
42 Posts

·
Registered
2008 CTS4 3.6DI (Sold 176k mi) 2015 ESV Luxury Premium
235 Posts
Re: Front Brake Replacement Question

Hey!

It's pretty straightforward just like any other car I've changed brakes on. If anything it's one of the easier ones I've had to change. The rears can give a bit of fight due to the e-brake system integrated into the hub rotors making it hard to slide on and off.

----------

One note the after you take the wheels and calipers the rotor is held on by a single Torx screw. I don't recall the size off the top of my head. But have one of those handy! And of course only if you're changing the rotors also.

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,034 Posts

so my question would be is there any major difference between changing the brakes on a Cadillac vs any other non-luxury vehicle?
Luxury vehicles use disk brakes that are built just the same as disk brakes on economy cars. You're not going to come across any surprises if you do the brake job yourself.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,163 Posts

Just make sure of which brake package you have when you order pads.

·
Registered
2016 AWD 2.0T LUXE, 2016 C7 TBDE vert, 2003 Avey Z66
614 Posts

Changing the pads is a straight forward procedure. The most difficult part is compressing the calipers w/new pads so that you can rotate the caliper back over the rotor. You can even purchase an inexpensive tool that will do this. There should be many DIY videos on line.

·
Registered
2011 CTS Coupe AWD Performance
184 Posts

I used to pay shops for brakes but once my friend showed me how, it amazed me how much they charge for such a simple job. Depending on your mileage your rotors may be ok. I have always used Wagner Thermoquiet pads on my cars.

·
Registered
08 CTS blk/blk
383 Posts
Brakes and stuff

Hey all you happy dedicated CTS drivers!

I got some great prices on Amazon for brake pads and rotors.

I bought all new OEM pads and rotors (all 4 wheels) shipped $322.00

Plus! with some digging, bought 3 quarts of OEM gear oil (additive not needed).

Bottom Line! I had all new brakes and rotors done, gear oil front and rear DONE ! I'm a happy boy

I waited a very long time to change my gear oil (200,220) but surprisingly it was not that bad...but not recommended. It had some metal on the magnets but not scary. The oil was dark but again not scary.

Happy Motoring,

Joe

·
Registered
2008 CTS Base Manual Tran
553 Posts
Re: Brakes and stuff

Sounds like a great price...What is the brake/rotor kit part number(s) or just a link to the AMAZON page?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2004 CTS 3.6, 2004 SRX 4.6 AWD, 2012 CTS 3.6 DI AWD
1,229 Posts
Sounds like a great price...What is the brake/rotor kit part number(s) or just a link to the AMAZON page?

Thanks!
Not that easy. Look under your spare cover to see if you have je5 or j55 brakes. Then go to acdelco website and their catalog and pull part numbers. Then search on amazon. 322 is awesome. I think I was 335 last year doing the same thing.

·
Registered
2010 CTS Sportwagon
8 Posts
Brake job question

I'm not finding a lot of information on this. I know it should be easy but I'm at a loss. I'm replacing the pads and rotors on my cts4 and I can't figure out how to lock the front wheels to remove the screw holding the rotor on. I'm sure I'm missing something simple. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2011 CTS-4, Sedan,Tuscan Bronze
388 Posts
Re: Brake job question

Two things come to mind. Loosen the screw with the pads still on and have someone depress the brake pedal or use and impact gun with the proper bit.

·
Registered
2004 CTS 3.6, 2004 SRX 4.6 AWD, 2012 CTS 3.6 DI AWD
1,229 Posts
Loosening/tightening that screw should not be able to turn the entire assembly. It be must be seized on there pretty good.

Take a crow bar or pipe or anything long and slide it through 2 lugs with the bottom of the pole or whatever towards the rear of the car against the ground. That should lock it up enough to remove the torx screw.

·
Registered
2010 CTS Sportwagon
8 Posts
Re: Brake job question

I tried that and started to strip the torx screw. I put some PB blaster on it and waited an hour and still no luck.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts