Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
02 Seville, 04 SRX (sold), 96 Eldorado (sold), 99 DeVille (sold)
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All of the sudden my Seville has what I can only describe as the noise of a rotary engine coming from the front passenger tire. I was driving home from a weekend trip and had to slow down for roadwork, when I sped back up I began to hear the sound. It is not existent below 30, but between 30 and 50 it get progressively louder (kind of like an airplane noise). I examined the tires, it doesn't look like anything is wrong, its still at 35PSI just as I always have them.

The sound is still there, regardless of what the tac shows, so it isn't the engine. I think I still heard it with the car in nutral going down a hill. Any ideas what it could be?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,520 Posts
CV assembly or wheel bearing capsule.........is the r/f brake dragging ???

Anything stuck in between the brake caliper and wheel.......?

·
Registered
02 Seville, 04 SRX (sold), 96 Eldorado (sold), 99 DeVille (sold)
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't tell if there is anything stuck between the caliper and the wheel. Visibly I can't see anything. Should I be able to get something flat in there without a problem?

·
Registered
1999 White Diamond STS with Sirius, 2001 Silverado
440 Posts
Grandmas 91 Park Ave had a similar problem, started around 30 and got louder. It was a wheel bearing.

·
Registered
Seville STS 2001, Eldorado 1997
394 Posts
My Seville SLS 96 has exactly same problem of strange noise starting around 30 miles or so and getting quite bad at around 45 or 50 miles. So far I could not figure out which wheel is bad. I think this noise is from from side but not sure which wheel is that. Any idea how to find which wheel is giving noise? Also what is procedure to replace wheel bearing.

Thanks
John

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,119 Posts
Do a series of S turns like a NASCAR driver warming his tires. A bad bearing will growl louder when loaded and quiet down when unloaded. The hub & bearing is one assembly. You replace the entire hub assembly.

·
Registered
04 Deville, 11 DTS Premium, 00 Deville (sold), 02 Deville (sold)
2,686 Posts
My Seville SLS 96 has exactly same problem of strange noise starting around 30 miles or so and getting quite bad at around 45 or 50 miles. So far I could not figure out which wheel is bad. I think this noise is from from side but not sure which wheel is that. Any idea how to find which wheel is giving noise? Also what is procedure to replace wheel bearing.

Thanks
John
John, Put somebody in the back seat with the windows down and have them go from side to side to figure out which wheel the noise is coming from. I replaced a wheel bearing in my Deville a couple of weeks ago. It's a piece of cake just pull the brake caliper, rotor, the bearing/hub assembly is held on by a couple of bolts and an axle nut.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Thanks so much 00-Deville

When the axle nut is removed, is there any need for any tool to pull the bearing out?

Thanks
Anwer

·
Registered
2000 Polo Green Metallic Cadillac STS 60K
787 Posts
When the axle nut is removed, is there any need for any tool to pull the bearing out?

Thanks
Anwer
Just some good ol fashioned man power. You can get a puller loaner tool from advanced auto, but when we changed the hub on my cousins Tahoe, we had more success without the puller. It took some banging to get it off, but it came off. I've never done a hub on these Caddy's so I dont know if the hubs come off easier.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I didn't need a puller when I changed mine... it came right off. You will need a 34mm socket to get the axle nut off. Be sure to torque the axle nut to 118 ft lbs when you put it back on.

Make sure you buy a quality replacement bearing like Timken or AC Delco stay away from the cheapo Chinese ones.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,119 Posts
Some hubs come off easy and some are stubborn. Won't know til you get ready to pull it.

·
Registered
394 Posts
00 Deville,

When you say 118 ft lb torque, did you use any torque ranch or just any usual drive to put it back.

Thanks
john

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I borrowed a torque wrench and 34 mm socket from autozone. A lot of auto parts store have a loan-a-tool program. The torque on the axle nut is fairly critical the wrong torque can cause premature bearing failure.

·
Registered
2001 Seville SLS
21 Posts
I just changed a wheel bearing/hub assembly on my 01 SLS with a similar noise. If its on the passenger side and you turn right the noise should be less, when you straighten back up or turn left the noise will get louder again. My hub came right off with no need for a puller. On mine a 34mm socket was very loose, so I used an 1 5/16 socket which was a better fit.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I was wondering is it possible to inject some greese to the wheel bearing. Will greese help reduce the noise. If doable, any idea how to? My seville SLS 96 has some strange noise. I tried to find out which wheel is giving noise. Still no success. The strange thing is that sometimes when speeed is around 40 mph, noise is quite loud and sometime it is not.

Thanks
John

·
Registered
394 Posts
Is the replacement of bearing hub assembly the only solution. Is there any hole for greese injection?

Thanks
John

1 - 16 of 16 Posts